Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,746 times

Advertisements

I need to move outta phoenix before I go mad! I want to live in a smaller ks town with a walmart, auctions for household items, taxi service and somehow to connect up with my bags and baggage on amtrak. HELP...I am running out of time quick! I can't buy a car till july, as I will get the funds to do so then, so that's why the taxi. I am an early retired chef due to arthritis. I could really use some help here! Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 AM

188 posts, read 934,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celery View Post
I need to move outta phoenix before I go mad! I want to live in a smaller ks town with a walmart, auctions for household items, taxi service and somehow to connect up with my bags and baggage on amtrak. HELP...I am running out of time quick! I can't buy a car till july, as I will get the funds to do so then, so that's why the taxi. I am an early retired chef due to arthritis. I could really use some help here! Thanks..
Newton has a Walmart and Amtrak connections, don't know about the auctions and taxi service. I did live there for awhile and found it to be a pretty good place. I lived in Phoenix for a couple of years back in the 70's, can't imagine what it must be like now.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,723 times
Why Kansas? Why not Nebraska? You could look at Grand Island, Kearney or Hastings areas. All three have Wal-Mart and shopping centers. Grand Island has the regional airport and Hastings has Amtrak that stops there. Greyhound bus service runs on I-80 which runs between both cities. All three have taxi service. All three are close to each other only about 30 to 45 miles apart. Grand Island has a population of about 40,000, Hastings and Kearney are about 20,000. All three are nice cities.

Sorry I can't help you much about Kansas, but consider Nebraska.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Might try Salina

Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 PM

216 posts, read 935,082 times
How 'bout Emporia

Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Gardner outside of Olathe has it all except AM-TRAK and you can get around that.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,754 times
Newton KS has a superwalmart, amtrak depot, nice mainstreet downtown shopping, outlet mall outskirts of town, lots of churches, and lots of parks, and only 30 miles from Wichita. I Have lived here since 1965, I guess its all in how you look at things, Im ready to move out, but, on the outside it looks really nice. If your an out going person, and like civic clubs, and going to church, you will love it....other wise there isnt alot to do here.
oh and we have taxi service....Moderator cut: ...

Last edited by Marka; 03-17-2007 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: use Classified Ads, please

Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,520 times
Default Why KS from AZ?

Just curious why you selected KS after living in AZ. And why you are fed up with living in Phx. I ask because you are thinking of moving from a location that does not have winter, to an area that definitely HAS winter. Have you lived in an area before that has winter?

Guess it's all relative, many who live in KS, or other cold-winter areas, are wanting to relocate to southern AZ to get away from frigid winters.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,461 times
You should look at the Amtrak schedule if you're planning on considering Newton. I think it only arrived/departs once a day at around 2AM.

Rural Kansas is not the place to be if you don't have a car. You might get around in Wichita with the bus system, but even that is not great. I wouldn't ride it.

Why Kansas? It's flat, windy, boiling hot in the summers and freezing and icy in the winters. The social services, especially outside of Wichita, are poor. Do you know that some people drive for hours to their doctor's appointments here? If your health is failing, I would think you'd want to be closer to a doctor, not farther.

That Norman Rockwell picture of the country doctor doesn't exist. They can even get doctors to work in rural emergency rooms here. When they're even open, they're run by PAs and nurse practicitioners. And I'm serious - you could go to an emergency room in one of these small towns and find the door locked.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 326,867 times
I would say emporia looks like the best bet of any on the board so far; i have never lived there, but it's not more than an hour or two from wichita and kc, it's definitely a smaller town, it's kinda pretty, and i think william allen white lived there. i don't know about the social services or amtrak. it is home to division ii emporia state university.
i live in hays right now; similar size to emporia but located roughly in the middle of kc and denver on i-70. it has a wal-mart, plenty of auctions, and a nominal taxi service (a few vans that take the elderly around town). no amtrak. and the hospital is wildly overrated; imo it sucks ash. and i've heard housing prices are out of whack compared to native earning power, although there are several tiny neighboring communities where housing is dirt cheap. overall, i don't think hays is the fit you're looking. if i had to live in kansas, i would probably live in lawrence, aka the blue dot in the red sea. if i were you, i would check out amtrak's route through the state and then ask about particular towns that interest you. most smaller towns will have little or no taxi service, relatively cheap houses, and generally not a whole lot to do unless a college is located there. i think lawrence or a kc 'burb might be a good fit. good luck homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas