Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Well, house is on the market here and there is at least a chance we will sell. We would like to move back to either the Ft. Riley/Manhattan area (surrounding rural areas included) or Salina (again, including surrounding rural areas). Can anyone give me any feedback on the unemployment conditions in either/both areas? Here, it wasn't good even when the rest of the world was in better shape so if the house sells (all prayers on that would be appreciated), we will finally be able to return to the civilized world. I think I heard that the the Big Red One had went overseas which if that is the case, I know the town grows quiet. My husband grew up in JC as did his parents. We lived in Salina for awhile and everyone we meet that has been there always has good things to say about it. We have a young adult son with Down syndrome who has services in Kansas and if we relocate to another state, he could be on a waiting list for years......The state of the world is so depressing these days. Any insight or info, thoughts, opinions would be appreciated. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,874 times
AnyWhereElse,

Well let me first welcome you and your family back to North Central Kansas if you do in fact decide to make the move. My wife and I moved back almost six years ago from the DFW Metroplex and there's not a single day we regret moving back to Manhattan especially now that we have kids!

Manhattan is actually prospering during these tough economic times and you'll quickly see that when you get here. There is development going up on both the east and west sides of town; that development ranges from new housing and businesses such as: The Olive Garden, Best Buy, PetSmart, etc. Here's a fun fact for you and your family: during this economic recession Riley County statistically is the least affected county in the United States. The good news is that there are jobs especially for people that are qualified. I'm not sure what areas you and your husband work in but at the current time the only jobs that seem to be affected are those jobs that require state and federal funding. Right now teaching jobs and jobs at Kansas State University are pretty tough to come by especially now that teaching cuts in the State of Kansas have been announced. Don't get me wrong, K-State is still hiring but they have had to freeze many jobs due to state cuts.

Well, I hope that you and your family do decide to move back to the area and if so I hope its everything you hope and pray for. I've grown up as a Kansas kid and after living in Chicago, San Diego, & DFW I can tell you that I am very happy being back in Manhattan and absolutely love living here!

Good luck!
RM

Last edited by RioMo; 04-13-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas