Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM

621 posts, read 1,617,000 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like i am headed to Kauai for a weeks worth of work at the Navy base there. I have already spent 4 weeks at Pearl Harbor on Oahu working. Stayed in Wakiki Beach. And, spent a weekend on Maui for fun. What is there to see/do on Kauai? I really enjoyed Maui over Oahu for the feel of the island, much less traffic, more beauty.. is that what i can expect from Kauai? I know it's called the Garden Island...

What should i hit up while i am there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,944,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
Well, it looks like i am headed to Kauai for a weeks worth of work at the Navy base there. I have already spent 4 weeks at Pearl Harbor on Oahu working. Stayed in Wakiki Beach. And, spent a weekend on Maui for fun. What is there to see/do on Kauai? I really enjoyed Maui over Oahu for the feel of the island, much less traffic, more beauty.. is that what i can expect from Kauai? I know it's called the Garden Island...

What should i hit up while i am there?
I'm partial to Princeville, on the North Shore, because it is the more lush, tropical portion of the island. It is where the movie South Pacific was made.

That's the exact opposite end of the road from Barkng Sands, where you will be working, but if you decide it's worth the trip, here's a page with links to lots of information:

Hank

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-22-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: removed link

Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,817 times
Kokee state park and Waimea canyon are near the Navy base and are very interesting. Kalalau lookout is impressive but must be visited early in the morning. The lookout is high above the pacific and Nai Pali coast but gets socked in by 0830-0900. Hiking is also big here with many interesting trails. Waterfalls & Lookouts (http://www.kokee.org/kokee-state-park/waterfalls-a-lookouts - broken link)

Right on base the all hands club Shenanigans offers the best sunset views on the island. Having a drink in your hand doesn't hurt either...

This time of year Lawi beach near Poipu offers interesting snorkling with lots of tropical fish that will eat out of your hand.

Keeping in mind that even though the island is small the roads are 2 lane in most places. If you travel to any place further than Lihue it will be an all day event.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,681,188 times
Waimea Canyon. Hanalei. Na Pali Coast (by boat if you have the time). Kauai is a small, very green island. I loved it there!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
\.

This time of year Lawi beach near Poipu offers interesting snorkling with lots of tropical fish that will eat out of your hand.
Please don't feed the fish when you snorkel...it interferes with the already pretty messed up eco system. You will see people doing it, but really that doesn't make it right.

Snorkel Tips - Observe Correct Reef Etiquette (http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkel-tips.html - broken link)

And that's Lawai Beach. If you haven't snorkeled, go to Poipu instead where there are lifegaurds. I can't tell you how many times I see the ambulances heading over to Lawai Beach to rescue people.

This website will give you more insight into snorkeling etiquette: Snorkel Tips - Observe Correct Reef Etiquette (http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkel-tips.html - broken link)

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,617,000 times
Awesome! I did snorkel Haunama (sp?) bay when i was on Oahu.. had a great time, saw one sea turtle. Nope, didn't feed him or molest him.. my fiance' has a masters in Marine Biology, and i took a few classes in high school. I have respect for marine life and would rather take pictures than souvenirs.
I'll will be sure to check out all of the above places..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai