Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM

6 posts, read 19,770 times

Advertisements

I have sold all that i own with the exception of my motorcycle. I will be traveling the USA via motorcycle, visiting some remaining family and friends before I come to Hawaii. I was going to just show up on the island of Kauai and hope to find a job there.

I'll have about 5k cash upon arrival, maybe 9k if i sell my motorcycle here prior to arrival. I have a 4 year degree in Anthropology with a minor in Astronomy. I have ~5 years experience working at an engineering firm and i have teaching experience(private lessons in Arabia and substitute teaching). From what iv'e seen, this island will suit me as its very laid back and relaxed and a bit distant from the busy cities and touristy spots.

Is this feasible? Can i even entertain the idea of going without a real plan? Anyone have any connections? I'm Christian if it helps, trying to get settled there. Just wanted to live for a bit there, Ive lost several family members and loved ones this year and want to live a more relaxed life.

Please help if anyone has advice.
arabianthunder@hotmail.com
asabra7@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChristian View Post
I have sold all that i own with the exception of my motorcycle. I will be traveling the USA via motorcycle, visiting some remaining family and friends before I come to Hawaii. I was going to just show up on the island of Kauai and hope to find a job there.

I'll have about 5k cash upon arrival, maybe 9k if i sell my motorcycle here prior to arrival. I have a 4 year degree in Anthropology with a minor in Astronomy. I have ~5 years experience working at an engineering firm and i have teaching experience(private lessons in Arabia and substitute teaching). From what iv'e seen, this island will suit me as its very laid back and relaxed and a bit distant from the busy cities and touristy spots.

Is this feasible? Can i even entertain the idea of going without a real plan? Anyone have any connections? I'm Christian if it helps, trying to get settled there. Just wanted to live for a bit there, Ive lost several family members and loved once this year and want to live a more relaxed life.

Please help if anyone has advice.
The phrase "laid back" is so over-used when it comes to the islands.
When I encounter people who are "laid back" here, it generally means they have no ambition, are stoned half of each day or they are retired.

People HUSTLE here to get enough money to live off of.
People routinely have two or three part-time jobs to make ends meet.

What are you going to do as soon as (not if) the money runs out?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 19,770 times
I don't want to live large, a small place to stay with simple to no immentities is fine. A laptop with internet access and my motorcycle is just about all i need really. Not using drugs, not retired either but im not looking to come to Hawaii to work hard and save, i want to work a little bit to suit my needs and to enjoy the island and the culture there. I'm very laid back and friendly and was hoping to build strong friendships there. So, i just need enough cash to get by, did this answer your question? If i could find a job teaching in a school, that would be great or maybe something suited to the tourist as id imagine there's always a demand for that. Ive worked in business development and public relations for an engineering company.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
You can get to Kauai with no plans and little money, all it takes is an ID and a airline ticket.

Can you survive with no plans and little money? Possible if all things hit just right.

What are the odds of everything hitting just right? Take a look at all the mainland transplants that are homeless or begging for changeto buy a ticket back home.

Ask you self these simple questions:
1. What would a simple room cost you each month?
2. What jobs and how often are they availble that meets your skills?
3. How much will it cost to eat and cloth yourself?
4. What is that internet connection costing you each month?
5a. If no motorcycle, how much will it cost you to get to work each day?
5b. If you bring your motorcycle, what is the cost of insurance and gas going to be?
6. Is the money you will have after moving expenses or before (deduct moving cost like shipping and airline tickt from the amount)
7. What other normal monthly cost do you have that will remain (credit card debt, prescriptions, insurances, etc)

Based on that simple research, how long will $5 - $9K realistically last? That gives you the do-or-die date where you must have a job. If you do get a job, how much realistically will you take home and how long does that extend the stay until another do-or-die date?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Smile Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The phrase "laid back" is so over-used when it comes to the islands.
When I encounter people who are "laid back" here, it generally means they have no ambition, are stoned half of each day or they are retired.
People HUSTLE here to get enough money to live off of.
People routinely have two or three part-time jobs to make ends meet.

What are you going to do as soon as (not if) the money runs out?
Finally...something you and I agree on. How totally true...LOLOL...I have been back for 3 years now and the only time I'm able to 'lay back' is when my 55 hr work week is over...lolol...We live one (1) block from the beach and rarely have time to just stroll along. Life is pretty much a panic here on Maui.
Takes a little getting used to but I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world.
Aloha,
Koale

Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
Eh wait a minute cuz! I stay lay back. I get ambition and I stay stoned. Dis braddah say wtf, live ur life. Wind in da hair, pakalolo in da fanny pack and no mo skedule. Where da surf cuz? Alrightttttttt.... hehehehe

Really! If I had it my way, this pineapple head would wake up doing a few bong hits while watching the rain and listening and watching the beautiful shama birds sing. Life is short, so LIVE!!!!! If braddah like come to Hawaii, cool. I hope he's happy and lives.

Last edited by kaimuki; 04-04-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Be sure that you buy a RT ticket so that you have an "out" if things don't work out for you. But, you can give it a try and say you did. No harm in that. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I dunno what you can do with the degree in anthropology, but with the degree in astronomy, there might be some job with that on the Big Island. It's about as laid back as Kauai if you go to the right area. Just keep hold of the second half of that round trip ticket in case no job or income shows up and have fun for awhile.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
Dont expect to get a job with your degrees.
If you are willing to work in the service industry, down to and including dishwasher, you will be fine

Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChristian View Post
I don't want to live large, a small place to stay with simple to no immentities is fine. A laptop with internet access and my motorcycle is just about all i need really. Not using drugs, not retired either but im not looking to come to Hawaii to work hard and save, i want to work a little bit to suit my needs and to enjoy the island and the culture there. I'm very laid back and friendly and was hoping to build strong friendships there. So, i just need enough cash to get by, did this answer your question? If i could find a job teaching in a school, that would be great or maybe something suited to the tourist as id imagine there's always a demand for that. Ive worked in business development and public relations for an engineering company.
LOL. Stay wherever you are, because you are going to be working hard just to survive. Laid back my ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai