Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times

Advertisements

Hadn't checked in for a while, most of you probably don't know me or my story at all. Go WAY back in the 'archives' and you'll find it.

We moved to Kauai, from Ithaca, NY, in mid-2008. Son was 12, hubby self-employed luthier, me an attorney who thought she had a job working for/with another local attorney. Job disappeared before I got here (but after selling house, quitting good-paying state job, etc.), so I hung out my shingle as a solo attorney (estate planning, probate and trust law).

3.5 years later and we're still here, and not going anywhere. We love Kauai. My practice is thriving and growing (knock wood!), but not without its bumps and hurdles along the way. I'm just starting to make enough to truly cover ALL of my expenses (including son's private school tuition - last year we qualified for financial aid, not sure we will this year). Hubby has not been as lucky, but he does have some repair work, and has built and sold a few instruments. He does not really advertise or promote himself much.

I have hustled, networked, and worked really hard. I absolutely adore working for myself, I love my clients, I love my work. That helps a lot.

My son LOVES it here (though he wants to go to college on the mainland, he thinks). He says moving to Kauai is "one of the best things that ever happened" to him. He swims on a team (and now that he's in high school, also for his HS team), does robotics, is the school "nerd" who fixes everyone's computers; he's on the dean's list and has lots of friends. He's been in the "Junior Lifeguard" program, swims in the 'open water' swims in Hanalei and Kalapaki Bays (2 miles last time), and is thinking about trying a channel swim.

I love it here too. Sure, it gets hot sometimes (hotter in Ithaca in summer, and more humid; here, the nights are gloriously warm, and in winter, the days are often just PERFECT), sometimes humid; where I live, it rains a lot (but I can still usually find a sunny beach if I want). Food is expensive but I enjoy trying to save as much as I can with coupons, store specials, etc. We're growing lemongrass, ginger, hot and mild peppers, herbs, avocadoes, tangerines, pineapples, myers lemons, and hopefully the mango tree will produce this year, and the bananas will start in 6 months or so. Our neighbor is a charter fisherman who sometimes gets the freshest ahi. Tonight for dinner I had kalua pork cooked in our clay pot - yum! And the pork roast was on sale.

I snorkel every few weeks or so (and honestly, just figured out last week how to get my mask to stop fogging), ride my bike occasionally, hike now and then. Sometimes I go to the beach for just 1/2 hour to 'chill out'. We've all made friends and had some great times.

My mom (age 83) probably wouldn't have lived much longer in NY. Now she's gotten off all her meds, off oxygen (she has COPD), lost about 50 lbs (she'd gained b/c of prednisone), and her hair has turned dark (from grey) again. I swear she's gotten younger since moving here. She's still a pain in the butt, but we love her.

We have no room for storing anything, our electronics tend to corrode, all the envelopes are stuck together in the box. Mold. Spiders. Centipedes. Huge roaches. Ants. Yeah, we got difficulties. The trash has to be taken out, the showers cleaned, the huge piles of yard brush burned or hauled to the dump. There is nowhere to buy lots of things, and shipping is usually extra (if possible) to Hawaii (but not Amazon.com!). "Not available in AK,HI" is the bane of our online shopping life. Flyers arrive in the mail a week after the special offer is over.

Life goes on, Hawaiian style. But we mostly like it.

So all ye naysayers, be still. For some of us, our 'Hawaiian dream' CAN come true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Congratulations, glad it worked out.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
Thanks for the update, I remember reading about your husband the luthier. You mentioned Olohena Rd in another post, I lived up that way several years ago, and don't anymore because of the rain. Glad to hear your son is thriving, but with the majority of that school's graduates going to mainland colleges, it's fairly inevitable. I've come to the conclusion that being raised on Kaua'i with college ambitions often means leaving, either temporarily or permanently. Great story about your mom, there is a lot of talk about Kaua'i being a healing place, but this is one case that's verifiable. Clean warm ocean air for someone with lung problems must be like a ... breath of fresh air.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Great to hear a positive story for a change. Thank You

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 170,506 times
Sweetbeet, I followed your story from when you moved to Kauai with great interest. Was wondering how things were going for you . Loved reading this update and so happy for you that things are going so well. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 PM

406 posts, read 865,917 times
Sweetbeet there you are! I've been wondering how y'all are doing. I've thought about you all frequently and I'm glad you are doing well.

Don't stay away from the forum too long. Keep us up to date.

Mickey

Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
I was wondering how you were doing. So glad you have been able to survive various bumps in the road to live your dream.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM

29 posts, read 104,861 times
So nice to read your experience. Ryan (still learning a lot after 2+ years on Hawaii island)

Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 15,103 times
Default Island School?

Hi there:
I have been following your posts after starting a new thread about moving to Kaua'i in the very near future. Like you, I'm a solo attorney (trademarks and copyrights), and I'm dead scared of moving to an island. We're building a house in the North Shore, and I'm planning on enrolling my daughter (10) in the Island School. Another blogger suggested to contact you for info about the school. It sure helps to hear your wonderful experience in Kaua'i coming from NY. We will be moving from San Diego.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM

227 posts, read 918,596 times
I moved here about the same time as you and we are still here as well minus a 8 month stay in South Korea. Been living on the North Shore the whole time and it has been fantastic. We are moving though next month to Wailua because my 2 girls are attending Island School this fall and felt I needed to be closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai