Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
Is this one of the illegal tvr's people been complaining about?
Yes. Good for Kauai. If any of the people renting at these illegal vacation units had to live next to them, I'm sure they'd be singing a different tune. Stay at an approved condo complex or suck it up and pay for a hotel room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw1227 View Post
To "find another use." Are you serious? A multi-million dollar mansion built with walls and plumbing specifically to house short-term guests -- right, it's so simple to repurpose such a thing.

As I said, I fully understand why the county would want to put a stop to the trend in 2008. But to not allow existing ones to continue to operate is short-sighted at best, and pathetic at worst. IIRC, I paid some 13+% in lodging tax to -- well, someone (Kauai? Hawaii?) -- the last time I stayed. Is it really better for that revenue to vanish?
I have absolutely zero compassion for these people. They built a "mutli-million dollar" residence on ag land, but didn't read their escrow papers? Please.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,401 times
See, this is why it helps to hear the whole story. Whtviper1, PaliPatty, and Joliefille are all correct about the need for zoning to protect the limited land and scenery from speculators and profiteers.

Also, whtviper1 is probably correct about the "kickbacks." From all I read, there is a sort of good-ol'-boy network here (like everywhere I imagine), and if you participate, you won't be bothered by things like permitting issues. Moderator cut: Sorry but personal blogs are not allowed in the forums. if you want to lose your rose-colored glasses about Kaua'i.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-08-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 AM

19 posts, read 47,612 times
Psh. You folks act like the government is doing some saintly favor by shutting down what's widely regarded as the best place to stay on that side of the island. When in reality -- as you said -- it'd do anything if some interests were greased. I firmly believe that there is no true plan to "protect the limited land and scenery." If you have enough sway and money, exceptions can and will be made.

After looking into the ticket situation, I realized I can cancel mileage tickets without penalty. And I'm going to. Too bad -- this used to be my favorite place to visit. Now I'm just left with an awful taste about the island, from top to bottom.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM

47 posts, read 129,519 times
Who you know probably makes more difference than anything else. Small towns are like that everywhere. Mine is. That hardly seems like a good reason not to visit. Other than this one rental the workings of the county are not likely to even affect you. Why not just find another rental, have some shave ice, and hit the beach? Definitely read Kauaieclectic. I've been reading Joan's blog for two years now. Rose-colored glasses are gone. Still moving though...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Very true, indeed. And while I appreciate that there are alternatives, it's the principle that truly infuriates me. I realize that it wouldn't bother most people enough to change their plans, and I couldn't argue for anyone to do precisely that, but it's different for me. That venue in particular holds special meaning (it's personal, I'll let it remain at that), and I wasn't going back so much to visit Kauai as I was to visit this place first, and Kauai second.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Very true, indeed. And while I appreciate that there are alternatives, it's the principle that truly infuriates me. I realize that it wouldn't bother most people enough to change their plans, and I couldn't argue for anyone to do precisely that, but it's different for me. That venue in particular holds special meaning (it's personal, I'll let it remain at that), and I wasn't going back so much to visit Kauai as I was to visit this place first, and Kauai second.
Yes, but you were in love with an ILLEGAL BUSINESS... and they finally got shut down. So boo the hoo.

Blaming the county of Kaui and its people for your personal inconvenience is silly.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM

You seem to think that the people who deem this act "illegal" are invincible to things like common sense.

I guess so long as you believe that governmental powers can and will never do anything wrong, your point is valid.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM

47 posts, read 129,519 times
Quote:
I guess so long as you believe that governmental powers can and will never do anything wrong, your point is valid.
I think in this case the county may be listening to the people. From what I understand these things are pretty unpopular with the common people that actually live there. Right up there with land owners closing off access to places and taking over the beaches by planting shrubs out farther than they should. I bet if you went around and asked a bunch of full time residents they are in favor of the zoning. And I hope this doesnt offend but why should the desires of a visiting tourist trump what is best for the county and its residents?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM

^ To your point, if the county and state really listened to the people, I bet the whole "all Hawaiian beaches are public and cannot be made private by the adjoining homeowner" would go away, too. You really think a billionaire homeowner on the beach enjoys the fact that Hawaiian sand is public, and they can't have that to themselves?

There's a fine line between completely isolating the island from all non-locals, and handling tourism and the money it brings with poise and sensibility. It's quite obvious that your viewpoint will be different depending on whether you're a tourist or a local. I could just as easily argue that the visiting tourists paid for untold advancements in the infrastructure of Kauai, hence they should be valued over locals. I couldn't argue that it'd be "right," in the purest sense of the word, but a reasonable argument could be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: