Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,700 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in Kauai and I noticed all the pictures I've been taking have a small black dot showing up in the photo. I was wondering if anyone knew of any place I could take in my camera to get looked at. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM

113 posts, read 163,462 times
After a quick search on the google I came up with
Don's Camera & Fine Jewelry
4286 Rice St
Lihue, HI 96766
(808) 245-6581

Not much else. Good luck and try cleaning your lens first as that is what it sounds like even though I have no idea what type of camera you are using...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM

49 posts, read 85,088 times
is this a Panasonic Lumix Camera?
We have had that same problem; dust gets sucked into the lens when the camera is turned on and the lens extends. Potentially this happens with other cameras as well. Take a look at the comments for the camera on Amazon and see if the problem recurs. We sent ours back to the manufacturer.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
A black spot usually indicates a speck of dust on the sensor... it happens to all brands over time... and a white spot indicates a failed pixel.

With most brands you'll need to submit the camera to a factory authorized repair station. For Canon, for example, there are authorized repair centers in Honolulu and Hilo.

Or you could try the Rude & Crude (tm) method, hitting the camera hard against the heel of your hand repeatedly to try to dislodge the pesky little dust-speck fella from the sensor so it falls to the bottom of the camera body and hopefully stays there until you get back to civilization.

Probability of success is low for this this method, but the risk is also low and the cost is nil. I can report that I was successful in using this technique on a Canon G11 a couple of years ago, and since I never had another problem with it, I saved the money for a repair and banked it toward my next purchase.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM

75 posts, read 225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanapepePuppy View Post
After a quick search on the google I came up with
Don's Camera & Fine Jewelry
4286 Rice St
Lihue, HI 96766
(808) 245-6581

Not much else. Good luck and try cleaning your lens first as that is what it sounds like even though I have no idea what type of camera you are using...

Just so everyone knows, this is a pawn shop. He stopped carrying cameras in any real sense after Costco and Walmart killed that business for him. Honestly not sure how he stays in business.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Probably too late, but everyone missed the obvious answer, the biggest camera stores in the islands:

Lighthaus Camera Stores in Hawaii

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM

75 posts, read 225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Probably too late, but everyone missed the obvious answer, the biggest camera stores in the islands:

Lighthaus Camera Stores in Hawaii

They're not on Kauai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai