Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,869 times

Advertisements

Hello!

If you live in Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati) you may already be aware of a couple of things:

1. There's much concern about bed bugs in the area. Supposedly Cincinnati is #4 in the nation in regard to them (Ohio as a whole is #1). One statistic (from 2008, it should be worse now) said that 14.5% of the people have had experience with them.

2. There's misinformation that has been spread around -- importantly (among other things) some advice passed around is fit for Cincinnati but is no good in Kentucky because the laws are different.

3. In hopes of passing on more accurate information, there was a "bed bug information and discussion" thread on the cable broadband message board where it was available to anyone hunting for leads. Cable broadband users were told a couple of weeks ago that the company is limiting it's message board use to subscribers. If it is no longer going to be open to just anyone who comes along, it's somewhat useless to be posting there. Someone suggested putting things here.

This much is certain. The problem exists. There's no known simple solution.

And, that's enough for an opening message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,901,949 times
Ddt

Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,646,648 times
Isn't DDT legal anymore in USA since the 1960's ????

Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Hello!

If you live in Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati) you may already be aware of a couple of things:

1. There's much concern about bed bugs in the area. Supposedly Cincinnati is #4 in the nation in regard to them (Ohio as a whole is #1). One statistic (from 2008, it should be worse now) said that 14.5% of the people have had experience with them.

2. There's misinformation that has been spread around -- importantly (among other things) some advice passed around is fit for Cincinnati but is no good in Kentucky because the laws are different.

3. In hopes of passing on more accurate information, there was a "bed bug information and discussion" thread on the cable broadband message board where it was available to anyone hunting for leads. Cable broadband users were told a couple of weeks ago that the company is limiting it's message board use to subscribers. If it is no longer going to be open to just anyone who comes along, it's somewhat useless to be posting there. Someone suggested putting things here.

This much is certain. The problem exists. There's no known simple solution.

And, that's enough for an opening message.
There is one cheap and safe solution to the Bed Bug problem. Go to a Chemical Supply house and buy a quart of OIL OF CEDAR. Mix O.O.C one part to five parts of Isopropyl Alcohol ( the 70% off the grocery shelf is fine). Put mixture in a spray bottle and spray over infested areas. BE CAREFUL AROUND PILOT LIGHTS AND OPEN FLAMES:MIXTURE IS FLAMMABLE). A friend of mine that is a Bug Expert (Entomologist?) told me about this. One of my neighbors has Bed Bugs in her apartment and she refuses to let the Land Lord in to treat them (she is a drunk and a crack addict). Three of the neighbors have contracted bed bugs because of her refusal to let them be treated. It has taken the Land Lord four months to get her evicted so far and she is still there. So on an eight unit complex he is out four months rent on her and lost three other tenants PLUS the expense of exterminators. I feel sorry for the guy because he is going to have to raise the rent on those of us who have been responsibile to make up for his losses.

GL2

Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Ddt
DDT is illegal. At least the sale of it reportedly is. Supposedly that's common knowledge.

And, in that case one can say "DDT" from now until kingdom come, it's not a workable answer.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 12-17-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
Isn't DDT legal anymore in USA since the 1960's ????
To the best of my knowledge it has been "illegal" (not legal, but illegal) for a very long time, possibly since the 1950's.

I did read somewhere that it's not illegal to possess the chemicals needed to make it. In other words, a competent chemist or chemical engineer theoretically could maybe mix up an unusual batch for personal use; but, he or she couldn't sell it or in all likelihood even give it away.

It's not a good idea even if it were legalized due to the factor of bug recurrence. One may get rid of the insects once and and pick up some more somewhere the next day. If the stuff is a health hazard, then continuous use might be worse than the bugs.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,901,949 times
Go here: 3 Billion and Counting - The Death Toll is Mounting if anyone thinks DDT is dangerous. You can thank the hippies for getting it banned.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
There is one cheap and safe solution to the Bed Bug problem. Go to a Chemical Supply house and buy a quart of OIL OF CEDAR. Mix O.O.C one part to five parts of Isopropyl Alcohol ( the 70% off the grocery shelf is fine). Put mixture in a spray bottle and spray over infested areas. BE CAREFUL AROUND PILOT LIGHTS AND OPEN FLAMES:MIXTURE IS FLAMMABLE). A friend of mine that is a Bug Expert (Entomologist?) told me about this. One of my neighbors has Bed Bugs in her apartment and she refuses to let the Land Lord in to treat them (she is a drunk and a crack addict). Three of the neighbors have contracted bed bugs because of her refusal to let them be treated. It has taken the Land Lord four months to get her evicted so far and she is still there. So on an eight unit complex he is out four months rent on her and lost three other tenants PLUS the expense of exterminators. I feel sorry for the guy because he is going to have to raise the rent on those of us who have been responsibile to make up for his losses.

GL2

Alcohol alone works. In fact it works on a lot of bugs; but, it is a contact killer. You have to hit the critter. Just wiping off something (as some people think) is pointless. Seems like the idea would be to thin down the oil and leave a faint residue after the alcohol evaporates. ...Which could even mean it's the scent that does something.

While personally speaking I would think cedar might have some value (no point in relying on things like cedar chests and cedar closets if they didn't have some effect), one of the real (as is known) experts in the business is right here at the University of Kentucky. And, I personally saw nothing about any effectiveness of cedar. That doesn't mean it isn't somewhere.

I don't know about Nebraska, but here in Kentucky if a tenent refuses to cooperate, there can be other action. If your neighbor has had the bugs for months, it would have to be a terribly uncomfortable situation for her. There must be more to it than simple lack of cooperation.

If three tenents are leaving plus the woman eventually, that does do a job on half of the landlord's building. The places giving rise to some concern in Northern Kentucky, however, are big places, like in the vicinity of a hundred units. My current apartment is in a 160 unit high-rise. If it helps any, if your landlord has any expectation of anything like a Section 8 voucher, he can't have the rent above the government guidelines. What might happen is that he sells the place.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Go here: 3 Billion and Counting - The Death Toll is Mounting if anyone thinks DDT is dangerous. You can thank the hippies for getting it banned.

Sorry, I have to question your link immediately. I started with the About The Film page, and three lines from the bottom (paragraph 2) it speaks of deaths from bed bugs. Bed bugs aren't known to carry any kind of disease -- that's why Health Departments can't do more about them.

Leave your link up and I'll pass it on; but, the facts are we are not in Africa fighting malaria and agitating for DDT is not going to do any good for some little old lady in an apartment in Newport with a sofa infested with bed bugs.

I will pass it on. I have trouble getting videos.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Alcohol alone works. In fact it works on a lot of bugs; but, it is a contact killer. You have to hit the critter. Just wiping off something (as some people think) is pointless. Seems like the idea would be to thin down the oil and leave a faint residue after the alcohol evaporates. ...Which could even mean it's the scent that does something.

While personally speaking I would think cedar might have some value (no point in relying on things like cedar chests and cedar closets if they didn't have some effect), one of the real (as is known) experts in the business is right here at the University of Kentucky. And, I personally saw nothing about any effectiveness of cedar. That doesn't mean it isn't somewhere.

I don't know about Nebraska, but here in Kentucky if a tenent refuses to cooperate, there can be other action. If your neighbor has had the bugs for months, it would have to be a terribly uncomfortable situation for her. There must be more to it than simple lack of cooperation.

If three tenents are leaving plus the woman eventually, that does do a job on half of the landlord's building. The places giving rise to some concern in Northern Kentucky, however, are big places, like in the vicinity of a hundred units. My current apartment is in a 160 unit high-rise. If it helps any, if your landlord has any expectation of anything like a Section 8 voucher, he can't have the rent above the government guidelines. What might happen is that he sells the place.

Thanks for the input.
The guy that told me about the Oil of Cedar said it works because droplets of Oil OF Cedar interfere with the respiration of Bed Bugs and many other insects. Contact is needed but if infected areas like mattresses, pillows, couches etc. are covered with a spray mist the oily residue left behind after the Alcohol evaporates with still kill them. Any items that can be steam cleaned or put in a dryer can be disinfected because exposure to heat of 140 F for over thirty seconds will kill the bugs and eggs. An under graduate student did a study on this in a class project so it may not be widely accepted at this time.

The Land Lord is having a difficult time removing the Bed Bug Lady for several reasons involving red tape and a social worker that has it in for him. Since I know both parties quite well I think the Land Lord is the aggrieved party in this case. He owns and manages several hundred properties so the social worker type of mindset makes him one of those evil "rich" people.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky