Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
You definitely need to come back in the spring or fall. It really is a beautiful state and the overwhelming number of residents are friendly and helpful.

Glad you liked your trip and come back soon!
Definitely need to make a spring or summer trip. The winter has been brutal so far and leaves on trees make Kentucky that much better-looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 PM

26,426 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Definitely need to make a spring or summer trip. The winter has been brutal so far and leaves on trees make Kentucky that much better-looking.
If you want greenery plant lots of pine, hemlock, and spruce trees. The greenery makes a big difference in the winter, but people often don't think of simple landscape improvements.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
LOL What's considered brutal for KY winters? I used to live in WY with -30F winters, But it was generally low humidity.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Summer was the brutal time this year. We had a drought and at one time our rainfall total was a foot below normal.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM

IMHO the cities in KY are underrated while the rural areas are definitely overrated. If an outsider only stopped at the big cities in KY they might be impressed, but would likely be depressed if they only visited mostly rural areas of the state.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
GraniteStater: Wow, you paint with a sweeping brush! Lots of assumptions here.

To this native Kentuckian, parts of our cities can be depressing, as can be parts of the rural areas. But it's equally true that parts of both cities AND rural areas are quite lovely, uplifting, exciting, etc.

And of course, some areas, be they city or country, just fall into the middle ground, as far as my reaction to them.

And that's the key: my own, personal, reaction. Others' reactions may - and do - vary. Isn't it nice that Kentucky contains places that (almost) everyone can appreciate and enjoy?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM

298 posts, read 596,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

To this native Kentuckian, parts of our cities can be depressing, as can be parts of the rural areas. But it's equally true that parts of both cities AND rural areas are quite lovely, uplifting, exciting, etc.

And of course, some areas, be they city or country, just fall into the middle ground, as far as my reaction to them.

And that's the key: my own, personal, reaction. Others' reactions may - and do - vary. Isn't it nice that Kentucky contains places that (almost) everyone can appreciate and enjoy?

Here...here, Well said my friend. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Yes, KY has plenty of nice rural areas. However, when I think rural Kentucky I immediately think eastern Kentucky which is about 80-90% economically depressed.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,713 times
Default I Agree!

My family and I moved to Lexington from Hawaii two and a half years ago. Yes, by choice. No one forced us to, we didn't have family here, and we didn't even have a job waiting for us here. However, we liked what we read and learned about the state. And we love it here! The diversity of the state is amazing, the weather is incredible (especially if you like weather) and beauty is everywhere. I smile at the people who complain....I have a feeling that they would probably find something to complain about most places they live. No, it isn't Hawaii. But Hawaii isn't Kentucky either. And right now, I'm so happy to be here! Thank you Thank you Kentucky, for opening your hands and heart to our family. And Thank You for your positive post about your visit!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Bumping this to the top....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky