Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,809,184 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in Kentucky. However, I've lived in four distinct regions (Western [born], Louisville, Northern, and Bluegrass [raised and still living here].) I've lived in four counties and visited 93 others. I used to think Kentucky was the end all be all and that I would spend the rest of my life here. But, I've traveled to quite a few other states and have found that my native home just isn't what my fellow natives crack it up to be. I don't hate it here at all, but I don't feel welcome or at home. I have fallen in LOVE with Texas and its culture, people, cleanliness, and heritage and can't wait to move there! (I'd like to move to Houston.)

I'm 22 and a soon-to-be college graduate. My ambitions are to pursue my JD and MBA, and Kentucky doesn't really have very many job opportunities for college grads. I have a very positive, pleasant and outgoing personality, but have found it SO hard to make true, lasting friends that have anything in common with me. What few friends I have, I'm growing apart from fast because I'm actually working and seriously pursuing an education while they're out getting drunk and uhmmmm...other things. I'm not real impressed with the manners of Kentuckians, either, as compared to people in other southern states. The only relatives I'm close to are my parents, and I'm growing farther apart from them. They think I'm nuts for wanting to move out and do something as daring as, say, Houston. Oh, yeah, I can't stand the slow, irritating as h*ll drivers who (1) act like it's a cardinal sin to go any more than 5 mph under the speed limit or (2) will completely stop at an intersection in a shopping center or town square when they have the right of way. I swear, I see it happen everyday!

What would I miss about Kentucky? The gleaming natural beauty, I love that! We also have some of the best food anywhere. Oh, the Louisville skyline. Ale-8-1. Those are about the only things I'd miss.

So, for those who have left Kentucky, why did you leave? If applicable, what prompted or what is prompting you to return? In your honest assessment, what are things you like and dislike most about Kentucky?

Thank you!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-21-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Familiarity breeds contempt, I've traveled the world well over a 100 counties and lived in a dozen countries, lived in a 7 other states, and have family in Texas ... BUT I come back to Kentucky. Why? It's really not that bad.

Texas right now is new and exciting to you, but if you move there in time you're find that it has it's bad qualities too. Houston has one of the fastest raising crime rates in the country I heard on a recent report. But this is the case where nearly anyplace you go, it will have it's finer points and it will have it not so finer points, it's something you don't really discover until you've been there awhile. No place is perfect and it's like I've said many times before, you can be happy anyplace you're at if you choose to be. I've always made friends any place I've gone. So I think and don't tale this the wrong way, making friends is more about the effort you put into it then the efforts others do.

BTW, I know a bunch of JD's that quickly found jobs right here in KY. The only ones I know that didn't scored very poorly on the BAR.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
I fond it hard to believe that there are no JD (I think that means Juris Doctor/aka Lawyer). Go to Stites and Harbison, they are always hiring and pay ALOT. There are also many other firms. Try this:
Kentucky Bar Association > Resources > Job Postings

Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I fond it hard to believe that there are no JD (I think that means Juris Doctor/aka Lawyer). Go to Stites and Harbison, they are always hiring and pay ALOT. There are also many other firms. Try this:
Kentucky Bar Association > Resources > Job Postings
I appreciate your take. However, the reasons I'm leaving have, of course, nothing to do with obtaining any post-graduate degrees. I might as well pursue my post-graduate education in a place I (think I would) like better, has a very booming job market, and is more "singles friendly."

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I appreciate your take. However, the reasons I'm leaving have, of course, nothing to do with obtaining any post-graduate degrees. I might as well pursue my post-graduate education in a place I (think I would) like better, has a very booming job market, and is more "singles friendly."
Good luck to you in whatever you do!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,807,449 times
My work his high tech engineering/science, so I basically had to leave for job opportunities. ALL of my friends that I went to graduate school with left KY because there are no jobs other than manufacturing for an engineer. Some of the guys I went to undergrad with stayed and work at Lexmark, Toyota, GE... Not my cup of tea.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM

93 posts, read 247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post

BTW, I know a bunch of JD's that quickly found jobs right here in KY. The only ones I know that didn't scored very poorly on the BAR.
From someone who has passed the KY bar exam -

You can't score poorly (or well) on the KY bar exam - you either pass or you don't. You aren't given scores, just a letter that either says "congratulations!" or "sorry to inform you..."

Perhaps you meant that they didn't do well in law school?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
My work his high tech engineering/science, so I basically had to leave for job opportunities. ALL of my friends that I went to graduate school with left KY because there are no jobs other than manufacturing for an engineer. Some of the guys I went to undergrad with stayed and work at Lexmark, Toyota, GE... Not my cup of tea.
Lexmark, Toyota, and GE are all respectable places to work. But, there are only so many employers around here from which one can choose to work. Kentucky's beginning to diversify its workforce, slowly, so for the people who stay or want to stay, that will be great news.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL01 View Post

You can't score poorly (or well) on the KY bar exam - you either pass or you don't. You aren't given scores, just a letter that either says "congratulations!" or "sorry to inform you..."

I am not a lawyer but I know of several who had to take the Bar numerous times

Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL01 View Post

Correct I was referring to your GPA at Law School, yes I know the BAR is a pass/fail. Sort of a typo on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky