Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times

Advertisements

Tony, I had a few of the Mayfield Messengers (hometown newspaper) with me but I came back to where we live to get some more things to move to Mayfield. When I get back tomorrow I'll check in the paper about places to rent and see what there is in the work area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 22,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designermama View Post
Our family will possibly be relocating to Mayfield this summer. This is for a job offer. I would like opinions on the schooling there. Specifically, I would like to know what kinds of programs they have available for music and sports. Is there a local Parks and Rec department and if so what programs do they provide?
Also wanting to know if there are many people who would being willing to do a contract for deed type of home purchase? Did not have insurance for a time, while in college, and now do not have the credit to go the traditional route. Will have money for a down payment.
Is there a lot of crime or drugs in your community? Are there many stay at home mothers? Is it hard to find quality (as in safe, I do not expect others to educate my children unless in school or preschool) child care? Speaking of preschools; are there any available? Are there private and public schools available?
We just moved here to Mayfield last November. We are from Indiana, but had lived in Florida for the 18 months prior to coming here. This town is horrible. We have 5 children ranging from 6-17. There are drugs everywhere here, especially in the schools. There have been like 5 murders in this county so far this year. I am a stay at home mom, so I don't really know about jobs. My husband had a job lined up here before we got here. I would never never never move here again and want so badly to leave here, but we entered into a contract to purchase a home. We came from a city of 100,000 plus people, and the people there were less rude than the people here. If you aren't from here, you don't fit in. If you must move to this area, look more to the Benton or Murray area. :-) Hope this helps. (I am NOT overexaggerating!!!)

Old 05-26-2012, 03:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_Five View Post
We just moved here to Mayfield last November. We are from Indiana, but had lived in Florida for the 18 months prior to coming here. This town is horrible. We have 5 children ranging from 6-17. There are drugs everywhere here, especially in the schools. There have been like 5 murders in this county so far this year. I am a stay at home mom, so I don't really know about jobs. My husband had a job lined up here before we got here. I would never never never move here again and want so badly to leave here, but we entered into a contract to purchase a home. We came from a city of 100,000 plus people, and the people there were less rude than the people here. If you aren't from here, you don't fit in. If you must move to this area, look more to the Benton or Murraay area. :-) Hope this helps. (I am NOT overexaggerating!!!)
Mayfield used to be a really nice small town, back when my husband was growing up.

Now.......not so much, which is why I advised the OP to live outside of the city limits.

You have my sympathies.....

Old 05-27-2012, 05:31 AM

Mom, we just moved back to Mayfield this weekend. I guess it's because I grew up here but have been looking forward to it. As far as buying on a contract, we were too. We were buying the house we're moving out of and all we had to do was call the people we were buying from. Contract is just rent to own. Hate that we lost our down payment though. Sorry you weren't happy here.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,688 times
Sorry to hear about Mayfield.

We are retired ( dairy farmers from Minnesota ) and took a trip down there between Christmas and New Years.

(to check out some houses for sale )

We spent 2 days both there and in Fulton looking at houses.
Instead,we rented in Cherokee Village Arkansas and purchased a house a month ago.

I actually liked that area of KY.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
We bought a house in Mayfield and are moving from out of state over the next two weekends.

We have found the people to be really friendly so far and the crime rate is almost non existing according to the records.

Everywhere you move has an adjustment period and that seems like it takes forever to get past. If you are having a hard time finding friends may I suggest getting INVOLVED in community services, like a church, feeding the poor, local shelter, or senior center.
Heck volunteer at your kids school and if the drugs are really that bad, create a program to fight it, rather than do nothing at all.
Talk is cheap, Stand up and make a difference. When people see your true character, then you will make friends.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Welcome to Mayfield, Jerry! Don't know if you have youngsters or not, but come out to the Mayfield/Graves County Miniature Golf and play a round or two sometime. 18 holes for $2! 5-9 PM during the week and 10-9 on Saturday. Truck and tractor pull this weekend, rodeo next weekend. Have you made it to any of the cruise ins downtown? Last one for the year is October 5. If you're not getting the city's newsletter they send to everybody three times a year, call City Hall. Or read it here!
http://www.cityofmayfield.org/Mayfie...pt-Dec2013.pdf

Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 23,593 times
I'm sorry to hear some people are having problems in Mayfield. My husband and I decided to move there, because everyone we spoke with there were so friendly and helpful. We haven't even moved there yet, and have already talked to the Mayor and the Code Enforcement Officer. They couldn't have been nicer to us.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,400 times
With the correct motive, ye can find fault with anything or anyone.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
In early 2012, we drove from MN to Mayfield KY and Fulton Ky to check out 2 houses we had found on the internet.It didn't work out , so we headed to the Ozarks in Arkansas and bought a house.We like it here in AR, but I am convinced we would have liked it in either Mayfield or Fulton, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky