Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of moving from the uk to the U.S and I was considering a few places Kentucky being one of them any info on living here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
There is a wealth of info on C-D. What exactly do you need to know about living in Kentucky? If you can be a bit more specific, you will get more response to your query.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Hey Craig,

I have no idea of which part I'm interested in i'm just trying to get general info, like

. Which parts are good to live with a kid
. What is the social life like
. What's the schools like
. Cost of living

I know I've been very vague so I'd really welcome any information in general. Thanks for your reply its greatly appreciated.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM

302 posts, read 629,652 times
Your in Scotland? I know its off subject but my husbands cousin is from Glasgow Scotland. We are looking to move to KY from NJ

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Hi, Elained! Here's something from the state web site, Commonwealth of Kentucky , showing the different regions of Kentucky. I agree with Craig. Dig back into old threads about Kentucky and you can find out just about anything. I'm in the far west part of the state, the western waterlands.

Regions of Kentucky - Kentucky Lakes - The Bluegrass Region in KY

Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Your in Scotland? I know its off subject but my husbands cousin is from Glasgow Scotland. We are looking to move to KY from NJ
Hey Alicia,

Where in glasgow? I actually live outside about 20 mins next to M&Ds Theme Park but its easier for people if I say glasgow. I'm itching to move I've always wanted to I had started the application for camp emetics then I was going traveling but I found out I was pregnant. Now my sons 2 I'm looking again, I really hate living here. Is your husband from the uk originally or just has family here?

I've been on the forums but it looks like I'm going to find it difficult to emigrate as I need a sponsor which I didn't know, Australia is a lot easier to enigrate to. I'm going to keep looking for a way though to keep the u.s as an option I'd love my son to grow up sort of small town nice people country type place. I don't want a big city life it's too crazy plus I'd be moving with him on my own.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hi, Elained! Here's something from the state web site, Commonwealth of Kentucky , showing the different regions of Kentucky. I agree with Craig. Dig back into old threads about Kentucky and you can find out just about anything. I'm in the far west part of the state, the western waterlands.

Regions of Kentucky - Kentucky Lakes - The Bluegrass Region in KY
Hey kyjman

I'll have a look at the links thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it. I know has nothing to do with it but I read a book called bluegrass and I loved it! It spoke about small town living which appealed to me so much! I'm not sure if the books description is accurate but I sure hope so! It also talked about ranch life and real cowboys lol which I find fascinating to no end!! Is there such a thing is ranch life, cowboys and small town living? Or have I read one too many books and living in dreamland ?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Hey kyjman

I'll have a look at the links thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it. I know has nothing to do with it but I read a book called bluegrass and I loved it! It spoke about small town living which appealed to me so much! I'm not sure if the books description is accurate but I sure hope so! It also talked about ranch life and real cowboys lol which I find fascinating to no end!! Is there such a thing is ranch life, cowboys and small town living? Or have I read one too many books and living in dreamland ?
You won't really find ranches/cowboy type of stuff here in Kentucky. That's more prevalent out west, places like Wyoming,Colorado, Montana, Idaho. We have plenty of horse farms in central Kentucky. The rest of the farming community is geared towards beef/dairy cattle, corn etc. Plenty of quaint small towns in Kentucky, so that part is somewhat accurate.However, i warn you, most of what you see in books is overplayed. Surrounding most small towns are big box stores like WalMart,Lowe's etc.

I would recommend you look at Central KY or southern KY. Eastern KY is too depressed financially and still isolated.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Hey Alicia,

Where in glasgow? I actually live outside about 20 mins next to M&Ds Theme Park but its easier for people if I say glasgow. I'm itching to move I've always wanted to I had started the application for camp emetics then I was going traveling but I found out I was pregnant. Now my sons 2 I'm looking again, I really hate living here. Is your husband from the uk originally or just has family here?

I've been on the forums but it looks like I'm going to find it difficult to emigrate as I need a sponsor which I didn't know, Australia is a lot easier to enigrate to. I'm going to keep looking for a way though to keep the u.s as an option I'd love my son to grow up sort of small town nice people country type place. I don't want a big city life it's too crazy plus I'd be moving with him on my own.
My husband is Scots-Irish. He never lived there but had family there. His Aunt came from Scotland but I forgot the town. His cousin married a woman from Glasgow. My husband and his cousin are like brothers so she is more like a sister in law. Shes one of my best friends. Shes been here at least 15 years

I find it shameful that you cant come here without a sponsor. Why? People are coming from all different countries, many legal and illegal. There has to be a way to get here.Message me your email if you want, and Ill see if I can get you in touch with my her and you guys can talk.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post

I would recommend you look at Central KY or southern KY. Eastern KY is too depressed financially and still isolated.
I agree from what Ive researched although Ive never been to Kentucky. I highly favor the Bluegrass region. If not there than Bardstown in Nelson County or Oldham County just outside of Louisville. Being a Jersey gal I still need to be near a city. The only way for me to tell is mini vacations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky