Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 14,421 times

Advertisements

HI my family and I are thinking of moving. We have 3 boys and want a place to raise our family without a lot of crime. Right now my husband works for Wasre Management making $21/hr and I take care of the mentally handicapped making $9.30/hr. I need to find a job durinv the day as I work nights right now and don't get to see them very much. We were thinking a place around $80,000 to rent/ buy with a lil bit of land. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:37 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,142 times
Hello,

Which area of the US are you considering a move from? Is it an area higher in crime? Here is a post I added to another thread, I'll tweak it here just a bit for you:

Kentucky's topography will definately feel "right at home for you" especially if you like rolling to high rugged hills, broad valleys to small cozy little hollows ( called hollers in Ky ) and small, tidy little Tobacco farms and Cornfields. I love late August when the smell of speared Tobacco hanging in the barns fills the air in Kentucky

Rural Kentucky is pretty slow and Kentuckians generally have a bit o' southern twang in their speech, albeit not as heavy in Georgia, but your definately in the south without a doubt, it's quite a bit different on the south side of the Ohio river.

Kentucky has the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest from the Tennessee line on up to just about Vanceburg on the Ohio river ( it's pretty much a mountainous wilderness ) and I think there's several places in that general area with hiking and reservoirs for boating and fishing. Kentucky is right on the cusp of the "humid subtropical" climate zone so even though Ky doesn't have as many "hot days" in summer as Florida does, days in July and August can generally get every bit as hot ( if not even more humid ) in lot's of Kentucky, the only expection being some of the high mountains along the Va / Tennessee line. Winters can be just as cold, but, more so at night when Kentucky has what locals will call "0" weather. During the day though sometimes winter temps can be anywhere from the upper teens ( extreme cases ) to even upper 50's low 60's it can happen! Some years a good amount of snow, some years hardly no snow at all and very mild temperatures. Overall I'd say Ky get's far less snow and has milder winters than most points farther north, but not always! Average winter temps are usually in the low to mid 30's with nightime temps hovering around 0 on an average winter day. Nasty ice storms are much more common, knocking out power for up to a week at a time in some cases.

Insects and snakes, particularly Copperheads, Timber Rattlers, Deer Flies, Turkey Lice, Ticks and Chiggars will generally be thicker and more prevalent in rural Kentucky than other points father north, especially during dry spells. Ky is FULL of Deer and Turkey's, you'll see them all of the time and we even have the largest "Elk" herd east of the Mississippi river.

Kentuckians are generally shy and a bit timid, standoffish with outsiders in the beginning, but with time should begin to open up to you. You'll have to slow down when you drive through the tiny rural Kentucky towns to about 25 or 35 miles perhour. You'll ramble through the town and see folks sitting out on the front porch of old whitewashed tin-roof houses, very tidy. they'll be sitting on those front porch swings and if they make eye contact with you, expect a friendly wave or gesture as you roll on bye, even by folks who pass you by on the road in their cars, even if they don't know you. Some towns will have a central courthouse and a roundabout going right around the courthouse. Be careful on Ky's rural highways. High to no shoulders and VERY narrow and curvy is the general rule and if you have a nasty collision on one of those roads it could be quite a while before help can arrive in some extreme cases. Some of the poorer counties also the roads will not be in good condition at all and a good many will be gravel or clay.

Kentucky families are old families, everybody has an "Old Homeplace" or Farm where some grandparents or great grandparents live, usually down an old gravel or dirt road somewhere back in the hills just outside of town. >The floors will be wood, some homes will be just old cabins with an old fireplace and pot-bellied stove. The walls will be littered with old black and whites, some of them of ancestors dating back to civil war times. The folks are friendly, but gossipy and a bit curious. They'll want to know why you're in Kentucky ( naturally they'll assume in the beginning you're there because maybe or "you must have" a mother or father who's from around their somewhere. You'll get invited to Church even if you don't go. You'll eat some of the best homegrown southern cooking in your life. Kentucky is famous for it's smoked and cured hams, sausage and even has it's own style of southern BBQ, Hickory Smoked. Everybody knows everybody....lot's of doors can be opened because your friends with "so and so's cousin" and so forth. It's just the nature of Kentucky.

Hit it off or get along well with someone and you'll be invited over for dinner at someones house. This will be around 1:30 in the afternoon in rural Kentucky and could be the following: Fried Chicken or Boiled, mashed taters and gravy or boiled red taters, fresh sliced, peeled tomaters, Turnip, Mustard or Collard Greens, Okra, fresh boiled Roastin Ear'd Corn, fresh snapped green beans, hot chou-chou or spicy or sweet pickles or relish ( usually eaten with fried fish of somekind ) fried yellow squash, washed town with a tall glass of mildy sweet iced tea ( Kentuckians like cold tea but generally lightly sweetened or sweetened to taste, unlike the deep south ) or Kool-Aid and maybe some Banana Pudding afterwards....

Also in Kentucky nobody says what town their from they'll just say: "Well so and so he's from Hardin County or "so and so he lives over in Meade county etc etc....

For the most part, crime is much lower than the nat'l average, even in the cities, however it DOES happen....

There is also good employment in some areas but be prepared to have to commute a long ways in some cases to find it sometimes. Also allergies are REALLY abd in Kentucky. There is alot of woods, trees and fields around and lot's of crops and it just can really get to you at times...even in the city!

You'll hear terms such as: "Roastin Ears" Y'all or "you-all" "yonder" "holler" "knob" "bottom" "fix'n or "fix'n to" "dried beans" Taters, Back there is "bac'ar" and over there is "o'var" help will be just "hep" "reckon" "collards" "mustards" Okra is "okr-ee" ( how come I always talk about food when reminising about Ky and my roots? LOL

You'll hear expressions like: "God luv'em" "Lordy have mercy" "Bless his/her/their little hearts" a bag is a "poke" all the boys will be called "son and all the girls will be called "sis" Also when a Kentuckian get's ready to leave they won't necessarily say "See ya'll later, I'm going home" You might hear many say "See ya'll later I'm a' goin to the house" or "let's go to house or "go to the house"

Gosh I could go on and on.....Kentucky sure is a colorful, countrified kinda place!! I hope you'll like it!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
It's amazing how much Eric knows about Kentucky after all these years living in Argentina. Of course there are some of us who think somebody else who makes all Kentuckians sound like nothing but a bunch of hicks is using a third alias.
Any particular area you're thinking about? Rural or close to a city? I live in a nice little town of around 12,000 in western Kentucky. Been a long long long time since I've known anybody living on "the old home place". There are some who still work a family farm, but I don't know anybody still living in an old home "just old cabins with an old fireplace and pot-bellied stove. The walls will be littered with old black and whites, some of them of ancestors dating back to civil war times." Thanks, Eric. I got a good laugh out of that one. If you're invited for dinner, it will be around 6 or so. If they invite you for lunch it will be around noon, 12:30. Think Eric's thinking of the old meals after church on Sundays. And just about all the critters you mentioned can be found in at least 47 other states.
"Kentuckians are generally shy and a bit timid, standoffish with outsiders in the beginning, but with time should begin to open up to you. I have some friends who moved into the W. Ky area and had several neighbors coming over with food and offers to help unload the truck before he even turned the truck off. The kids had friends inviting them over to spend the night the first weekend they were here. My step daughter's husband is stationed at Ft. Campbell but live in Trigg Co. While they were stationed in Hawaii, they let some friends who were coming to Campbell a year before them, to live in their house, rent free, to help them out. This friend had car trouble a few miles from their house and was surprised that, within 15 minutes, 3 men stopped to see if he needed any help. He already had a service truck on the way.

You'll have to slow down when you drive through the tiny rural Kentucky towns to about 25 or 35 miles per hour. 25 or 35 MPH is a good speed to drive, since it's the speed limit. You'll ramble through the town and see folks sitting out on the front porch of old whitewashed tin-roof houses, very tidy. Haven't seen very many whitewashed tin-roofed houses in quite a while. We've discovered new inventions. Paint, brick, aluminum and vinyl siding, etc. they'll be sitting on those front porch swings and if they make eye contact with you, expect a friendly wave or gesture as you roll on bye, even by folks who pass you by on the road in their cars, even if they don't know you. And the problem with that?
You'll get invited to Church even if you don't go. Like I said, what's the problem with that? Some towns will have a central courthouse and a roundabout going right around the courthouse. That "roundabout" is called the courthouse square. More than just "tiny rural towns" have these.Be careful on Ky's rural highways. High to no shoulders and VERY narrow and curvy is the general rule and if you have a nasty collision on one of those roads it could be quite a while before help can arrive in some extreme cases. Some of the poorer counties also the roads will not be in good condition at all and a good many will be gravel or clay." I don't know about eastern Kentucky but I've driven highways all over western and parts of central Kentucky. I worked for the state highway department for 26 years. In the areas I've worked, all roads, which in most cases are straight and the size set forth by the federal government, which is more than wide enough to meet another car or truck with no problem, have very good shoulders. In the county where I worked most of the time there are almost 300 miles of state roadway. All but 30-35 miles are gravel and those only because they run alongside the Ohio River and are underwater during spring flooding.

Congdon Family, I apologize for carrying on this way. But I've lived all my life (so far! lol) in Kentucky and I get tired of somebody making it sound like we're all a bunch of hicks. Surprised he didn't say something like we're all walking around barefoot or something. Kentucky is a great place to live. There is a Waste management here in Mayfield. You said you're making $9.30/hr. There are plenty of jobs paying that and more in western Kentucky. My son works making Pella Windows outside Murray, Ky., for a little over $10/hr plus insurance. Had to work 6 months as a temp before hired full time. But there are other places hiring. There is a plant outside Cadiz that makes semi trailers that pays good. You have to be a certified welder. Paducah is the "hub" for this area. Plenty of shopping, night life, things for the kids. My step daughter and son-in-law I mentioned above, bought a 3 BR 2 bath home with a full basement, on 14 acres, for $140,000. We have two large lakes in W. Ky. One is the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River. Kentucky Lake - ExploreKentuckyLake.com LakeBarkley.org Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area
The closer you get to the lakes the higher the home prices. Check out www.realtor.com .
I apologize once again for all that first part of my post, but I'll always take up for Kentucky. Hope you find something you like!
You need to check out all parts of the state you're interested in then try to work out a vacation trip to check out those areas to see what you like

Old 09-08-2014, 02:51 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,609 times
You tell'um gman, I'm too damn mad. It's okay, just another reason why no one can believe anything they hear on here. It's always extremes in both directions.

I get the feeling, little eric is the latest recruit of Kentucky bashers...it is for this reason, I won't even attempt to make a comment. You know what they say...

The sad part of all this is, the congdonfamily came to CD for legitimate answer to some of their questions to only get a 13 paragraph line of BS.

Argentina?...sure....wonder when he will be moving out of Mommy and Daddy's basement, probably in Eastern Kentucky. I recognize the style. Besides I'm the resident "Troll" around here and I ain't going anywhere.

Right peta?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM

It's amazing how much Eric knows about Kentucky after all these years living in Argentina. Of course there are some of us who think somebody else who makes all Kentuckians sound like nothing but a bunch of hicks is using a third alias - Kygman - "bunch of hicks?" I mean, really....this frankly is surprising and just plain insulting and totally unfair..if the OP wants to live in one of Ky's many cities or towns, he/she'll will tell us and everyone will respond accordingly...again what gives? I mean, you're implication above is that I am nopt who I say I am and that I'm a lier, that is just flat out offensive and insulting! Kygman....we already discussed this in a private PM about 1 month ago remember?

1.) Been a long long long time since I've known anybody living on "the old home place" - I know several families that do. My 2nd cousing still lives in the same farmhouse that was built in the late 1800's by my 2nd great grandfather...whats so awful about that? Something bad or nasty about that....again what gives? If you or ANYONE would like to see pictures, I will happily share them with anyone

2.) There are some who still work a family farm, but I don't know anybody still living in an old home "just old cabins with an old fireplace and pot-bellied stove. The walls will be littered with old black and whites, some of them of ancestors dating back to civil war times." Thanks, Eric - I know all kinds of families that do that, lot's of Kentucky families have relatives that have lived in the same area for many generations. I myself, as well as many families I know have many pictures and old black and whites going back over 100 years or more....again is this something soo terrible to mention and share?

3.) I got a good laugh out of that one. If you're invited for dinner, it will be around 6 or so. If they invite you for lunch it will be around noon, 12:30. Think Eric's thinking of the old meals after church on Sundays - Lot's of people in the country still use dinner sometimes for lunch, espeically the older folks...again what's wrong with that, I'm confused...

4.) And just about all the critters you mentioned can be found in at least 47 other states - We'll discuss in private regarding comments I've made on other threads, again, this is all personal experience, do you have a problem with that?.

You'll have to slow down when you drive through the tiny rural Kentucky towns to about 25 or 35 miles per hour. 25 or 35 MPH is a good speed to drive, since it's the speed limit. You'll ramble through the town and see folks sitting out on the front porch of old whitewashed tin-roof houses, very tidy - Again, I have memories of this from kentucky....is their a problem with this?

5.) Haven't seen very many whitewashed tin-roofed houses in quite a while. We've discovered new inventions. Paint, brick, aluminum and vinyl siding, etc - Again Kygman, you ridicule me and you approach my statement as if I was making some sort of derogatory statement? I don't understand? Alot of the old Kentucky towns have small quaint farmhouses with white siding and old tin roofs, which I think is wonderful and adds alot of character to some of the little towns. My goodness, what's the problem, I love these older houses! I think they're fantastic.

4.)They'll be sitting on those front porch swings and if they make eye contact with you, expect a friendly wave or gesture as you roll on bye, even by folks who pass you by on the road in their cars, even if they don't know you. And the problem with that - Ohh my...you can't actually be serious right? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! I love it, why do you think I'm sharing what I'm sharing and being nostalgic in my writings gman? I'm sharing this because I think it's great and something very endearing..I'm sharing pleasant memories about my life there gman. It happens when you move way, especially to other countries you know? My goodness

5.) You'll get invited to Church even if you don't go. Like I said, what's the problem with that - Kygman, you're bordering on rediculous...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! I'm a missionary for goodness sake and an evangelical christian, this is why I live in south america. I met my wife here and married here!!??

6.) Some towns will have a central courthouse and a roundabout going right around the courthouse. That "roundabout" is called the courthouse square. More than just "tiny rural towns" have these - I know that, what's why I shared, does it matter really? Whether it's a large town or small town. At least I shared it. You're just being coniving right here I think...

7.) Be careful on Ky's rural highways. High to no shoulders and VERY narrow and curvy is the general rule and if you have a nasty collision on one of those roads it could be quite a while before help can arrive in some extreme cases. Some of the poorer counties also the roads will not be in good condition at all and a good many will be gravel or clay." I don't know about eastern Kentucky but I've driven highways all over western and parts of central Kentucky. I worked for the state highway department for 26 years. In the areas I've worked, all roads, which in most cases are straight and the size set forth by the federal government, which is more than wide enough to meet another car or truck with no problem, have very good shoulders. In the county where I worked most of the time there are almost 300 miles of state roadway. All but 30-35 miles are gravel and those only because they run alongside the Ohio River and are underwater during spring flooding - Ok to someone who's not used to some of the narrow rural country toads in Kentucky, I was showing a general concern for the OP. I know people who have been killed on backroads in Kentucky. Of course I understand that not all roads in Kentucky are narrow and Kentucky, but in many areas they are. Some of the local folks, they might be used to driving on certain roads because maybe they've lived their for their whole lives. But someone who's new to Kentucky and maybe from another part of the US, they might not be generally aware that in some spots there are hills and curves and you may not be able to see very well who's coming from the other side. In many rural Ky counties, these roads can be quite narrow in many places, and curvy, so one who doesn't know the area or is new will need to be careful.

Kygman - I'm very dissapointed in you. I want to like you, but this is now the 2nd time that you've had this kind of reaction, unfairly to one of my posts, and it was non deserving and without merit. I'm beginning to think that you just like to cause trouble with certain people? For whatever reason, I really don't know.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 09-08-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
You tell'um gman, I'm too damn mad. It's okay, just another reason why no one can believe anything they hear on here. It's always extremes in both directions. I get the feeling, little eric is the latest recruit of Kentucky bashers...it is for this reason, I won't even attempt to make a comment. You know what they say...The sad part of all this is, the congdonfamily came to CD for legitimate answer to some of their questions to only get a 13 paragraph line of BS. Argentina?...sure....wonder when he will be moving out of Mommy and Daddy's basement, probably in Eastern Kentucky. I recognize the style. Besides I'm the resident "Troll" around here and I ain't going anywhere.

Right peta?

The truth is that I'm a 40 year old ( just turned 40 ) husband married to my Argentine wife. I came to south america originally to do missionary work, first in Chile, then in Argentina, where I met my beautiful wife. We both have a 2 year old boy who's actually never been to Kentucky yet to meet his great granny and all of his aunts, uncles and cousins. Currently we no longer work with any denomination, nor are currently active in missions, however we used to work for Calvary Chapel.

The reason why I'm a member of this forum is because even though I've been in Argentina for close to 10 years now I'm feeling it's time to come home. I've basically been quite a bit homesick the past few years and my wife and I want to come home and be closer to my mom, granny and all of my family. They all live near the Owensboro and Louisville area and outlying areas.

We are thinking about moving to Louisville as a compromise between my wife and I. I want to be close to family and she wants to live in a more urban setting.

I'm also a bluegrass musician. I used to sing tenor and play Mandolin in a band that traveled a bit and played a few festivals. I'm currently learning the Fiddle but already play the clawhammer Banjo and Mandolin. I especially love Bluegrass Gospel music.

I'll be honest, I've always loved living in Kentucky and being in Kentucky. It's made me who I am and it's the place where I feel most at home and have the most dearest memories, especially of my pawpaw and granny and all the great times we had their together when I was a kid. My family and I we are all very close and their really excited to have us back and in close proximity once again. I'm also hoping to be more active in music as I really do miss picking and singing with friends..

Does this sound like someone who is a Kentucky basher or hater to you?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:55 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CongdonFamily View Post
HI my family and I are thinking of moving. We have 3 boys and want a place to raise our family without a lot of crime. Right now my husband works for Wasre Management making $21/hr and I take care of the mentally handicapped making $9.30/hr. I need to find a job durinv the day as I work nights right now and don't get to see them very much. We were thinking a place around $80,000 to rent/ buy with a lil bit of land. Please help.
Well, the good news is that $80K will buy you a lot more house and land in Kentucky than it would in most other parts of the country. If that's your budget, you're going to have a lot of options.

What sort of community do you have in mind? Are you thinking of a city (Lexington, Louisville, etc.) or more rural areas? What other factors are important to you? Hobbies, recreational activities, etc? What is it about Kentucky that draws you here? It'd justg be helpful to know more about what you're looking for.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:48 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Selfishly, it is at least nice to know that I'm not the guy on kygman's hit list nowadays... (Sorry, Eric.)

Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
While Eric's colorful description of Kentucky and Kentucky life did sound a bit as if it was straight from "The Waltons" (yes, I know they lived in Virginia's Blue Ridge), there is certainly an element of truth in what he wrote. Rural Kentucky retains much of the flavor and heritage of the past, both physically and in its people's way of life.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as the contemporary world is also acknowledged.

Kentucky's cities and most city-dwellers are generally less traditional in their outlook and way of living, though you'll find plenty of ancestral portraits hanging in the homes of long-time Kentucky city residents.

OP, can you tell us more about what you're looking for? You'll receive more precise responses that way.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
While Eric's colorful description of Kentucky and Kentucky life did sound a bit as if it was straight from "The Waltons" (yes, I know they lived in Virginia's Blue Ridge), there is certainly an element of truth in what he wrote. Rural Kentucky retains much of the flavor and heritage of the past, both physically and in its people's way of life.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as the contemporary world is also acknowledged.

Kentucky's cities and most city-dwellers are generally less traditional in their outlook and way of living, though you'll find plenty of ancestral portraits hanging in the homes of long-time Kentucky city residents.

OP, can you tell us more about what you're looking for? You'll receive more precise responses that way.
Thank you Craig Creek - Alot of what I wrote were based upon my own nostalgic experiences and memories around my family and the area that they lived in and what I experienced there in my life growing up, with my immediate family, local folks and especially my grandparents. What I was trying to do was paint a picture of Kentucky for the OP of what I think Kentucky is at it's heart and it's core, the spirit of the kind of place that Kentucky is, and what makes Kentucky maybe a bit different from other places. Everything I wrote was true but, even I'm not foolish enough to realize that Kentucky has cities and towns and folks that don't live in the country. However, alot of them if they don't still have family that does or knows folks and isn't too far removed from it.
Let's face it, Kentucky at it's core is a rural state, with rural folks and small towns, that's what I love about it, and is what i think is it's greatest appeal. Land is cheap, its' beautiful, quiet, folks are nice, the weather is generally great. To me a statement like "hicks" is a term I really dislike and is rather discriminatory, I would never use that, nor would I use it to describe folks from Kentucky, as it's a negative term.
as I was writing my comment, I was pulling from my own memory banks and sharing about certain aspects that to me stood out, nothing more. I guess just being a bit nostalgic and homesick. I've been in Argentina a long time now and the last year or so I've really had a desire to get back up there and be closer to my family who'm I miss quite a bit to be honest.

If the OP likes city living, than I think they'll find Kentucky's cities and urban areas quiote adequate,. However, in my opinion they are different also in many ways from cities and towns in other states. But if rural living is what they are after, than I think they can really do no better than living in Kentucky. I stand by my post and I shared things about Kentucky that were very practical and absolutely true per my own experiences and my own family, maybe I can't speak for other areas of the state but I've known and met and visited many parts of Kentucky and their are some common threads that bind everyone there together.

I think you summed up best what I was trying to write in my post right here: "Rural Kentucky retains much of the flavor and heritage of the past, both physically and in its people's way of life."

I decided to add some photos from my personal collection of not only myself and my family, also of some of my ancestors, all Kentuckians, all Kentucky for those of you who are interested. I also included my families old homeplace and even the original cabin built in 1793 by my 5th great grandfather in Lebanon Kentucky, fully restored and still lived in by family to this day.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 09-09-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky