Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 07:27 AM

29 posts, read 113,950 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at property in this area. Thoughts? Good area for retirement.

Where you are working—— not working for a couple years
-How much you are willing to spend on housing——$75k
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate——no more than 45 minutes
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Children are grown
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Small town
-Community amenities important to you—-crafts fairs. I crochet and make quilts. Hubby does wood working
-Pie or cake? Cake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Well, it is a small town, I don't know the population. Barbourville is the home of Union College. You can find craft fairs/festivals in the summer/spring and fall months in the area...Pineville, Middlesboro, Williamsburg, London, Manchester, Harlan. Barbourville has the Daniel Boone festival in the fall and some other events like the redbud festival in the spring. I'm sure some other College related events. Seems to be something going on a lot of the time in the cities I mentioned, which are within an hours drive or less. They have the old Court House Square down town and some businesses as well. We have friends that live between Pineville and Barbourville on HWY US 25E which will take you to the Cumberland Gap National Park. The closest "Big" city is Knoxville which most people in the area goes to for their Big city needs.

45 minutes will certainly take you to some job opportunities.

I'm not sure about 75,000 for housing though. You'll just have to look around and see what's available for what you are looking for. I would inquire about homes that might be in the flood plain as the Cumberland River flown through Barbourville and does flood on occasion. Flooding is not as bad now as it once was. The Army Corp of Engineers built a flood wall so the flooding is not as wide spread as it was at one time.

I would say it's a good area to retire. Barbourville has all your everyday needs.

If you do any searches for the area, it's Barbourville without the "s".

Good luck! Where ever you decide to go.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM

29 posts, read 113,950 times
thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky