Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM

21 posts, read 32,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

This is my 1st time posting on this website. I'm so glad I found it! DH & I were both born and raised in L.A. and have never lived anywhere else, but we've always loved the South (Nashville). We've never been to KY, but have read wonderful things about it. It looks like DH is going to get a job offer in Leitchfield, and from the research I've done I'm afraid that may be "too small" of a town for us. I would like to be near shopping (preferably a mall), churches, restaurants, movie theaters and other things to do since I like getting out of the house several times per week. I get stir crazy if I stay in for too long. We have 2 young daughters (ages 3 & 5) with another on the way. We would like to live in a city that is safe, has good schools and lots of activities for small children. Coming from L.A., we definitely don't want acreage. We want neighbors fairly close by. We want a nice yard where our girls can safely play outside. We don't want too much of a commute for DH working in Leitchfield. I'm afraid Louisville may be too far from Leitchfield.

Does Etown sound like the place for us? I've also heard someone mention Rinneyville, but don't know anything about it. Right now we don't live in the city, but rather a suburb of Los Angeles with a small town feel. I love that!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! It looks like this company wants to fly us out there within the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions on neighborhoods would be great. We tend to like new construction, but what's more important to us is to be in a good area, near good schools and close to shopping.

Thanks!
Sasha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
After living your entire life in L.A. pretty much every town in KY is going to be to small for you. L.A. metro area has about 5 times as many people has the whole state of KY.

That said E-town is a nice area, quite, safe, small, but I'm little help as I don't live there so I can not speak of the schools and neighborhoods. Your real estate dollar will go much further here than there, even with the bubble burst of the west coast.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

34 posts, read 144,307 times
Default moving to E-town next month

You may not enjoy this location if you are looking for a "little" Nashville. It sounds like you really enjoy living in a suburban neighborhood and working in an urban area. Hardin County has a lot of great things, but it is fairly rural too. The surrounding counties are very rural.
We're moving to E-town next month and have already bought a home. We wanted to live in a rural area and while E-town has every chain store and restaurant you could want, we did not want to live inside the city limits. Hardin County is exactly what we were looking for, but again we like driving past horses and farms on the way home from shopping.
Rineyville has some nice homes, but it is very rural and may not be an easy commute for your DH. I do not know what the commute would be like from E-town to Leitchfield, but generally the highways are less congested than urban areas you are familiar with.
You will like the cost of new construction. Depending on what you prefer, you can build a new home around $1.10 a square foot in a nice subdivision in Hardin County.
Flights were cheaper into Lexington and I flew in for a weekend and found our dream home. You should consider a visit before moving as the small cost of travel will pay big dividends in narrowing your housing preference.
Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times
Bowling Green will be closer than Louisville but still a good commute...it's a college town so will have more options for shopping and activities, but the schools will probably not be as good as Louisville. It's still nothing like Nashville, however...you may be in for some culture shock here . Hope you find what you are looking for, the people in KY are generally wonderful and welcoming....

Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM

63 posts, read 313,513 times
Thumbs up E'town to Leitchfield

The commute from E'town to Leitchfield is easy. A straight shot down the WK Parkway, about a 25-30 minute drive, depending on how lead footed you are. E'town itself is a nice town with a substantial hospital, lots of shopping and restaurants, and plenty of nice residential areas to choose from. Rineyville is really just a suburb of E'town where lots of construction is going on. It is thought to be the future area of development for E'town. For its size, E'town and Hardin County in general is quite cosmopolitan due to the influence of Ft. Knox,

Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
E-town is only 40 miles from some of Louisville's nicer shopping/ night club areas (4th Street Downtown, Baxter Ave, and Frankfort Ave)

Elizabethtown, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Highlands (Louisville) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fourth Street Live! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clifton, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 AM

17 posts, read 64,423 times
Coming from LA I would imagine that you will hate E'town. It is not really a great place to live, but Leechfilled (joke) will probably traumatize you with small town culture shock.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Coming from LA I would imagine that you will hate E'town. It is not really a great place to live, but Leechfilled (joke) will probably traumatize you with small town culture shock.
They may be glad to get out of the smog, crime, gangs, traffic. I know I would.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Elizabethtown is in Hardin County - Pop. is near 100,000. It's not that small, plus it's close to Louisville. It's a beautiful part of the state.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Here's a link to a similar thread that you may or may not have already seen . . .

http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...fo-please.html

Have to admit, I am re-e-e-e-e-ally stretching to imagine a bunch of native Angelinos falling in love with E-town . . . . Your kids are probably young enough that they will be able to adjust to anything and within a couple years won't even vaguely remember LA, but as for you and hubby, there will probably be a little culture shock . . . .

Yes, it will be safer and cheaper, but as for anything else, well . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky