Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM

63 posts, read 313,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The tremor woke me up, how about you?
Sure did! Here in Cecilia we felt it pretty good. Lasted 20-30 seconds. Pretty severe vibration, low pitched rumbling noise as well. Knew it was an earthquake immediately. No apparent damage so far. I do carry earthquake insurance on our house, as I know that we live in an area that one day will get the"big one."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
We live in Murray, which is 212 miles (according to Google) from the center. Felt nothing. Heard nothing. Was asleep the whole time. To me it's a myth...LOL

Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM

149 posts, read 764,328 times
Massive tremor but no actual crack? Felt the aftershock in Hardin Co. Have heard once that most of cave district kentucky is actually bubbles in the earth's crust. Could be the whole place with collapse like crunched rice krispy bar one day.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Here in Anderson Co., KY, where I live, most people did not feel or hear anything. Same thing in Frankfort where I work. The general reaction was "Earthquake? What earthquake?" Such was my reaction too. It did wake my parents up, though. Shoot, at work today, not very people have even been talking about it.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We live in Murray, which is 212 miles (according to Google) from the center. Felt nothing. Heard nothing. Was asleep the whole time. To me it's a myth...LOL
Woke me up in Cadiz. Wife slept through it until my son called from Union County. Woke everybody up and ran most of them in his apt complex outside.
Dad, I wasn't doubting you on the mileage, but considering the mileage to Murray from Union County, Ky. is 95 miles, It's not over 100 miles from Morganfield, Ky. to Mt. Carmel, Ill, closest town to the epicenter. The google map I tried showed Murray @ 189 miles from Mt. Carmel. One thing I thought about was the coal miners working underground. How would you like to be working a mile or so underground and feel an earthquake? Remember when Iben Browning, the man in Texas predicted a major earthquake along the New Madrid fault in 1990? Lots of coal miners refused to go to work for a few days during this scare. Can't say I blame them!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:48 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
It Was Felt As Far West As Saint Louis, As Far North As Grand Rapids Michigan, As Far West As Dayton,ohio And As Far South As North Alabama Area

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM

36 posts, read 184,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Please tell me that you're kidding. How can you jump to the conclusion that "something is happening"? An earthquake every now and then is normal for this part of the country. I wouldn't think it's a sign that were getting ready to have a big one. Have a tent at hand? Hmmm alrighty then. Let's not start running for our life over this....
No, I'm not kidding. I base this upon my gut feeling from my interest in geology. And I posted to give a "heads up" to those who might not know how to act during a quake. Some people seek "shelter" unknowingly in the worst possible places and are in danger because of it.

And I do suggest having a tent at hand, in fact. And a generator if you can afford one, extra meds, extra water and food items, a bbq, and a "grab-n-go" bag of clothes and toiletries and so forth. I have all of these things ready in my own home. I also urge my neighbors and friends to have this, which earned me the nickname "Gloomy" but too bad.

In my youth I had a beautiful black lab trained as a cadaver dog. You travel all over seeing the aftermath of depressing events, and you learn pretty quick that having a plan for an emergency is a really good idea and can save the life, even, of a fellow human being or pet.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Brush, I know it's good to be prepared and you never know when it's going to hit again but did you know there are thousands of earthquakes across the country each year? Most of them go unnoticed. I just read a comment from somebody in California in a local newspaper. "...it is better to have these little ones to relieve pressure. It's like opening a 2-liter bottle of soda....slowly is better than fast!" I remember the one in '68. I was a little kid at the movies on a Saturday morning! That building emptied quick!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM

36 posts, read 184,061 times
LOL kygman, earthquakes and tornados are a "hobby" of mine. Other ladies knit or cook, I spend all my time poring over the USGS real-time site, which is peppered with thousands of quakes, of course, as you noted...the earth's crust, it's a movin' all the time...for a break I go storm chase, just got back from near LaMesa (TX), they had a twister on the ground, saw some cool sights but didn't get a look at the mesocyclone...was in "the bear's cage" due to the roads & had to turn around...glad to hear people in 1968 had sense enough to get OUT of the movie theater during the quake...some run INTO buildings...

Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 PM

21 posts, read 73,192 times
Hum.
Quades and tremors in Reno,NV, since Feb. (over 100) Now Mexico gets a good sized one. Any thoughts on that BrushFyre?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky