Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,574 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at a piece of property in Drakesboro to build our retirement home. Does anyone have info about the area? We enjoy the country atmosphere and Bowling Green is only about an hour away, right? How is Muhlenburg Community Hospital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Default Drakesboro

As with most smaller Kentucky coal towns, Drakesboro has pockets of pain, but offers many small town benefits. When coal was king (until early to mid-80's) any town in Muhlenburg County joy. Now that the coal is mostly gone, Muhlenburg County has had to recover from the change of its economic basis.

Be cautious as to the infrastructure and services you need, but don't "x" it off your list, for as the little river town east of Drakesboro is aptly named, there is Paradise amid the hills.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM

237 posts, read 848,918 times
Drakesboro should be a good choice if you are looking for a very small town lifestyle. My wife and I recently bought some land on the green river close to Morgantown with similar plans as you. Love it there!

Digger~

Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM

104 posts, read 417,297 times
Default Final Warning

Go to Google's home page and do an image search of Drakesboro. A couple of your potential new neighbors myspace web sites will come up. Go ahead and click on them. I'll let them speak for themselves. Good Luck.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:44 AM

51 posts, read 284,468 times
Wow, didnt know much about Powderly. I agree there are other locations in KY which would be much more favorable!!

Last edited by kimmieyky; 02-07-2007 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: may insite flame

Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 PM

104 posts, read 417,297 times
Default Thanks for the back up!

I expected to get a lot of flack but the truth is the truth and I would hate to see some nice couple move into that area, sink their life savings into their dream, and find out they bought into a livng nightmare. Trust me, I was a policeman in that area for years. It's not a pretty picture.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 32,332 times
I can't understand why anyone would consider moving to Drakesboro unless it has changed radically in the last 30 years. Most of the people who live there would probably like to get out. I was born in Paradise, a little town on the river not far from there and it was a beautiful place before it was demolished by the coal company

Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 19,379 times
Ok the deal is what part of Drakesboro are you looking at.It is a quiet neighborhood everyone minds there own business.They don't try to get to know folks been there for 5 years and I know 2 people and they are kin to me.The Muhlenberg Community Hospital I wouldn't take my dog to it. Also did they tell you that Drakesboro is sitting on top of mines that are sinking farer down every year.Think twice before moving there.

Last edited by kimmieyky; 02-23-2007 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: edited for content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky