Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati, Louisville, or Lexington
Cincinnati 37 36.63%
Louisville 41 40.59%
Lexington 23 22.77%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times

Advertisements

Far Eastern Jefferson County used to be pretty, um, rustic.... Eastwood and Fisherville anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Hmm guess we will have to disagree here. In fact, one of the things I dislike about Louisville is some of the "river road" country club set which reminds me of a "big city" version or "old money" version of what you see in Lexington. The mindset sort of reminds me of Chicago's north shore, allbeit on an infinitely smaller, and somewhat toned down scale.
To me the difference btw Lou's River/ Brownsboro Rd corridor and the Palomar/ Firebrook/ Hartland/ Liberty Rd areas of Lex is the percent of popoulation they include. Brownsboro Rd area is very snooty and very sparse as a percent of Lou's population, whereas areas of Lexington that I'd call "high on the hog" are over 25% of Lex's population - the Clearwater Way/ Hartland Pky area alone has over 20,000 residents, more than all of the Brownsboro corridor combined.

As for education rankings, in classes I've had Louisville ranks at the bottom of its 15 peer cities in education, internet usage, etc. While the East End and Oldham & Shelby Cos are very educated, most of the metro's population is in Clark, Floyd, Bullitt, Spencer, and western areas of Jefferson Co, all of which are 12% or less college educated.

Cincy is growing slightly slower percentagewise, but it does have much higher educational attainment as a metro than Lou does.

Percent of population over 25 with at least a bachelor's degree:
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...S_2006_EST_G00_

Cincinnati 27%
Louisville 23%
Lexington 35%

for comparison

Detriot 26%
Dayton 24%
Buffalo 26%
Birmingham 26%
Toledo 22.9%

Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times
And which one of those compares to Lexington in terms of size and also home to a large public university? Also kick in Transy and BT. That skews the numbers.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
HUH? You know Louisville pretty well but not as well as you think. 80% of Kentucky's wealthiest cities are in NE Jefferson County. There is a BIG difference between Prospect and Middletown. Places like Glenview and Anchorage have some of the most extremely snooty people you will ever meet. I find Lexington MUCH more southern and "redneck" than almost all of Louisville, so I disagree with your transplant theory. Furthermore, Louisville does not have "one of the lowest educated populations in the country."

Anywho, this comparison isn't fair. Lexington is too small to be mentioned with Cincinnati and Louisville, and really Cincy is substantially larger metro wise than Louisville.
, right which is one I think it isn't correct to say Lexington has the best economy of the 3 in a general, broad sense.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
I think census is trying to say that in Lou you don't act all big with your money. In Lexington you act like your the cats meow with the same salary as a fellow lou.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 AM

145 posts, read 518,537 times
I don't understand why people on here are so insulted by how people choose to live their lives. What does it matter if someone chooses to live high on the hog if they can afford to do so? As long as a person can pay their bills and take care of the family what is wrong with them wanting to live in a bigger home or drive a nicer car? I really don't understand it when people hold success against others. Should they drive chevys just to not offend others or live in a smaller home than they can afford to appear "blue collar" because that is your perception of a better way to live? Sometimes the issues people notice about others really shocks me. I see someone driving around in a nice car or living in a nice home I don't think snob, snutty, being showy....fake..etc. I think good for them. I wonder what they do for a living. I don't know why success offends some people. Make money but you better not flaunt that you have it or you will be looked at as "fake rich" whatever that term means or a snob. You better live in a small house and cut off those brand tags on your clothes or you will be a snob and be accused of looking down on others. How about worrying about yourselves and not judging people you don't know at all. For the record, NKY/Cincy has some of the kindest folks I have ever met and it offers ammenities no other area can. Lexington comes in second in my book if for no other reason than the beauty of the area and then louisville. I like louisville as well and have nothing bad to say about it but if given the choice that is how it would pan out. Would you like some sweet tea?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Here's some food for thought:

Louisville's murder rate for 2008, thus far, is:
41 murders / 2.38 = 17.229 murders per 100,000 people.
(This is approximating 238,000 people in the urban service area, or the old city limits. This figure also does not include murders in the suburban service area. Source: Courier-Journal.)

Technically, 53 murders / 7.1 = 7.465 per 100,000 in the "Metro" city of Louisville, which includes all 710,000 people and 399 sq. mi. of Jefferson County. This is also, as far as I'm concerned, an inaccurate representation of the crime rate of Louisville. (That is, unless we consider all of Hamilton County, also.)

Cincinnati's murder rate now:
45 murders / 3.33 = 13.514 murders per 100,000 people.
(This is considering the approximately 333,000 people estimated to live in the city limits. Source: Cincinnati Police Dept.)

You tell me which city is safer. Yep...the supposed "high crime ghetto" city.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Where is the "None of the above" option?

Old 10-30-2008, 03:08 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,274 times
Hamilton County is not incorporated into the city of Cincinnati, so why would you consider it. I dont know why people still look at the urban service district as still being "Louisville". All of Jefferson county, with a few exceptions, is considered Louisville now, so of course the crime rate should be represented through THE WHOLE CITY.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Here's some food for thought:

Louisville's murder rate for 2008, thus far, is:
41 murders / 2.38 = 17.229 murders per 100,000 people.
(This is approximating 238,000 people in the urban service area, or the old city limits. This figure also does not include murders in the suburban service area. Source: Courier-Journal.)

Technically, 53 murders / 7.1 = 7.465 per 100,000 in the "Metro" city of Louisville, which includes all 710,000 people and 399 sq. mi. of Jefferson County. This is also, as far as I'm concerned, an inaccurate representation of the crime rate of Louisville. (That is, unless we consider all of Hamilton County, also.)

Cincinnati's murder rate now:
45 murders / 3.33 = 13.514 murders per 100,000 people.
(This is considering the approximately 333,000 people estimated to live in the city limits. Source: Cincinnati Police Dept.)

You tell me which city is safer. Yep...the supposed "high crime ghetto" city.

Huh? You are making up statistics JCM. You simply cant do that. First off, we have NO IDEA of what the population of the old city is because it will never be measured exactly like it was before. Second, where is there a source that says 41 murders in the old city? Anywho, its not an equal comparison as the old city of Louisville is much smaller in square mileage than Cincy. I think a much better comparison woul dbe to crime rates in Jefferson County KY versus Hamilton County, OH. Cincy is MUCH more dangerous, trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky