Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
You must not know many people from Indiana
My point exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
So I am looking at both Evansville and Owensboro now too. We are looking for a nice suburb of a decent city with low crime and economic opportunity. Can you recommend the best places to live nearby either city that would put you close to civilization yet still give you the country feel that we so like.
Owensboro has a lot of suburban-like areas just off the Wendell Ford Expressway (US 60 Bypass). The major roads include KY 144, Leitchfield Road, New Hartford Road, and Parrish Avenue. Some nice but really small towns surrounding Owensboro include Hawesville, Whitesville, West Louisville (really smaller), Hartford, Livermore, Calhoun, and Rockport, IN.

Evansville has a lot of unincorporated suburban areas in eastern and northern Vanderburgh County b/t US 41 and I-164. I guess the closest thing to a real Evv. suburb is Newburgh. Other small towns around there include Darmstadt, Princeton, Mt. Vernon, Rockport, and Chandler.

The cities only have 54,000 and 120,000 residents, respectively, so don't expect to find a quintessential large American suburb like White Plains, Katy, or Oakland County.

Quote:
We prefer hilly terrain compared to flat, and prefer being near a forest or at least lots of trees! We will be looking for a house with at least a 1/2 acre in the $180,000-$225,000 zone. Top priority is local excellent public school system for elementary through high school! You know the usual family requirements. Any advice you can give in advance will be appreciated! Thanks!
Owensboro is closer to hills than Evv. Both cities are close to rural woods and the Hoosier National Forest.

You can score a very nice home on 1/2 acre in both cities for that price. Owensboro's property taxes are (almost guaranteed) cheaper, though; Indiana passed a tax "reform" that nearly doubled the price of property taxes in many of its counties.

I'm weary about Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation, although I've heard that Reitz is a decent school. There are two public school systems in Owensboro, Owensboro Ind. and Daviess County; you want Daviess County. Deer Park Elementary and Daviess Co. High are consistently among the highest of the high in terms of state test scores.

And, to boot, Deer Park and DCHS are on New Hartford Rd. in SE Owensboro. That is not a really "ritzy" part of town, just average Joe middle- and upper-middle-class folks. What that tells me, in a nutshell, is that Daviess Schools, especially those two, teach curriculum and prepare students for testing, not just teach the test.

McLean and Hancock Counties in KY also have great public schools, according to test scores.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Owensboro has Moonlite BBQ - enough said. They have BY FAR the best buffet I've ever eaten

YouTube - Mutton by Moonlite

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I've spent loads of time in Evansville and it basically is one of those industrial cities from years ago that was at one time booming but since many jobs have been lost, there are numerous warehouses and buildings that sit abandoned. The east side and north side of Evansville are great, but "central Evansville" (ie- the old city) is a complete dump. Most new construction is on the east side (Eastland Mall, Evansville Pavillion, etc). Vanderburgh County schools are decent. My mom attended North High there and from my understanding, Reitz, Memorial, and North High are all good public schools. Evansville itself is flat except right around Mt. Auburn Road where the television broadcast centers are. If you want "hilly" and in Indiana, go for Warrick County (Newburgh or Boonville), Posey County (Poseyville), or Monroe County (Bloomington).
Just for clarification purposes; Memorial High School in Evansville is a private school.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 PM

486 posts, read 1,896,867 times
Sorry I meant Harrison over on the Lloyd... not Memorial. My mistake.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:30 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If your of German ancestry you'd like Evansville better.

If your of Celtic/ English ancestry you'd like Owensboro better.
its strange but youre so right

Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Hello! Well after lots of trips and now over a year of research we had narrowed down our search to east of Louisville in Oldham County. But now do to this economy and my job opportunities shrinking, I need to give my family some options. So I am looking at both Evansville and Owensboro now too. We are looking for a nice suburb of a decent city with low crime and economic opportunity. Can you recommend the best places to live nearby either city that would put you close to civilization yet still give you the country feel that we so like. We prefer hilly terrain compared to flat, and prefer being near a forest or at least lots of trees! We will be looking for a house with at least a 1/2 acre in the $180,000-$225,000 zone. Top priority is local excellent public school system for elementary through high school! You know the usual family requirements. Any advice you can give in advance will be appreciated! Thanks!
I have lived in Owensboro for 12 years and currently live and have lived in Evansville for 4 years. Owensboro is a great small town and a very safe place to raise a family. The people are very nice in Owensboro. However, there is not much economic opportunity. Evansville provides more economic and social opportunities. Based on your criteria, I would suggest the Newburgh area which is right outside of Evansville. This is approximately 10-15 minutes from downtown Evansville and has a country feel you are after. The homes are also within your range. I am not sure about the school system as I do not have children school age. The people are not as nice in Evansville as in Owensboro. They tend to have a touch of the "northern" flair. Other options in this area is Louisville and Nashville. Both are great cities! I was raised in Louisville and definitely would recommend it to anyone. If I moved from Evansville, I would move to Louisville.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 10,014 times
I'm not going to bash either city (or any other for that matter), but here's something to consider regarding Evansville: it is a growing city for the most part. It is true that factory positions have reduced (just like everywhere else), but their white collar jobs are on the rise. Plus, you can live in Henderson and Evansville is just a short commute away. I would recommend visiting the cities to see what "feels" like home to you. I am a transplant from Indiana and really enjoy life here. Also, I am proud to be a HOOSIER!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
I have worked in both cities and each has different things to offer. The people in Owensboro are much nicer and friendlier, more southern I think. The schools in Owensboro are better unless you opt for private schools in Evansville. Evansville offers much more in the way of shopping, healthcare, entertainment, restaurants, but you can always just drive over there in about 30 minutes or so. The biggest difference is culturally. It was always so funny to me that just crossing that river made a huge difference in the people and culture. If you want friendly, more laid back people opt for Owensboro, if that doesn't matter to you look at Evansville. I agree with the Newburg recommendation. The city is very German Catholic from what I have been told, but Owensboro has a large Catholic population also.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 PM

231 posts, read 701,138 times
Talking Proud to be a Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
owensboro! I have never heard anyone be proud to be from indiana

Well you just met one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky