Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,096,009 times

Advertisements

Here is a cool site to research your family name Coats of Arms (Family Crests) & Surname Histories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times
Thank you! Excellent site. As a neophyte genealogist, I will just express one word of caution. Study your genealogy first. While in a Gatlinburg store this past weekend, I noted a crest display with Howard (my mother's line) on two different stands. Odd thing, two completely different crests for Howard.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
I had a cousin who just got the genetic DNA test done that traces your geneology with 95% accuracy. My mom's line is Clan McDonald of Glengerry in Scotland via Ulster County Ireland - in other words my mom's side is Ulster Scot. I am a direct descentant of several of the early kings of Ireland, a warrior whoose remains discovered at the Battle of Bannockburn (the decisive battle in the Scottish War of Independence), and the royal musicians for the Scottish kings in the Middle Ages

Based on my family tree (and sources on the internet) my dad's family line traces to Wales and has been in Kentucky (sp. Harlan County) since the 1820s

Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Thank you! Excellent site. As a neophyte genealogist, I will just express one word of caution. Study your genealogy first. While in a Gatlinburg store this past weekend, I noted a crest display with Howard (my mother's line) on two different stands. Odd thing, two completely different crests for Howard.
Name spellings also changed frequently, often to sound more English. For example, I just found out that the "Roy" line on my mom's side was actually "LeRoy" and French instead of English/ Scottish

Old 10-13-2008, 06:14 PM

Some of the early families in Louisville:

Blankenbaker's - German
Linn - Irish/ Scottish
Ormsby - English

Kaintuck's recent governors

Beshear - not on the list
Fletcher - Scottish
Patton - Scottish
Jones - English/ Welsh
Wilkinson- Scottish
Collins - Irish
Brown - English/ Scottish
Carroll - Irish
Ford - English/ Irish
Nunn - English
Breathitt - Scottish

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times
Another issue, actual name origin. My last name "Cox" is terribly misleading when searching. I discovered my name was the result of my x-great grandfather's job on the ship over. In 1641, he was exiled from Sweden to New Sweden (aka Philadelphia). While on the ship over he served as the cook (swede=kok). After arriving, he settled the island now known as "Fisher's Island" but the locals then referred to the place as the "Kok's Island" and with all the Larson's in the area at the time, they took the name Kocks which became Cox within a couple of generations. All the Cox's of Coxs Creek, KY are from that line.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM

I am researching my Mom's side : Thompson, Ritchie (Grandpa's parents), Curl and Pollock(grandma's parents)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Missy, my aunt did most of the work so I don't know the exact process. Obviously, you work from what you know on your family tree and then work backwards through land grants and marriage/ birth records

My direct descendants on my mom's side were quite prominent, having served in the Revoluntionary War and being major land owners in South Carolina and Kentucky, so it is easy to find info on them - I even found a will of one of them!

Hugh McDonald Will - Chester - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com

This is the Scottish clan my mom's line descends to: Clan Donald, of the Glengarry Branch
http://www.clandonald-heritage.com/images/gfx_home_map.gif (broken link)

Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
My wife has been into geneology for over 30 years and does volunteer work now. When we decided we were going to get married she got all excited! She had another family to trace backl! Myles Standish is in my family lineage. She traced my family back to the Lord Mayor of London in the 1400s.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM

How cool y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky