Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 24,968 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the details about a secret Kentucky tax referred to as: INSURANCE PREMIUM TAX? A tax that is added to insurance policies. If so, could you please explain why it was started, what types of insurance it is applied to (i.e. auto, health, home, dental, boat, etc.) who collects the money (state ?) etc. Was the tax started for a specific purpose such as road repair......?

Is this tax charged to everyone in the state who purchases insurance or only in select communities?

This tax seems to be a well-kept Kentucky secret.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
It's not a secret, see link below....

Kentucky: Department of Revenue - Insurance Premiums Tax/Surcharge

Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Yeah, that's been around for years, if not decades. Hardly a secret, especially to anyone in the insurance business.

Why you may have thought it was a secret is that many companies are now listing all of these taxes rather than just a flat rate. So for example, my cable company doesn't send me a bill for $90 -- it sends me a bill for $80 of service and $10 of taxes. Which on one hand seems like a good idea (the more information the better) and on the other hand seems like they are trying to shift some of the blame for a high bill. "Hey, it's not us ripping you off, it's the evil big government!"

Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
It's original purpose was to provide funding for police and firefighter pensions and workers compensation. Typical of all taxes, once the foot was in the door...

Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 PM

13 posts, read 24,968 times
Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks to those who posted a reply.

It has been interesting trying to find out about this tax. It appears that the tax is now more than 12%. An insurance agent stated that it was JUST SOMETHING THAT THE COMPUTER ADDS TO POLICIES!!!!! SO JUST PAY IT!! When pressed for an explanation of what the tax is for......they had no idea.

It appears that cities, villages etc. add the tax. Do they spend all of the collected funds for PENSIONS? I thought that I heard that the pension funds (Kentuck public pension funds) are in bad shape.

Does anyone know whether ALL KENTUCKY RESIDENTS must pay the tax?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreyhead View Post
Thanks to those who posted a reply.

It has been interesting trying to find out about this tax. It appears that the tax is now more than 12%. An insurance agent stated that it was JUST SOMETHING THAT THE COMPUTER ADDS TO POLICIES!!!!! SO JUST PAY IT!! When pressed for an explanation of what the tax is for......they had no idea.

It appears that cities, villages etc. add the tax. Do they spend all of the collected funds for PENSIONS? I thought that I heard that the pension funds (Kentuck public pension funds) are in bad shape.

Does anyone know whether ALL KENTUCKY RESIDENTS must pay the tax?
Yes, all Kentucky Residents must pay 1.75%, then each city, town, or even recently county government could add their own rate above that. It once was limited to 10% max, but....

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreyhead View Post
An insurance agent stated that it was JUST SOMETHING THAT THE COMPUTER ADDS TO POLICIES!!!!!
LOL. You mean like the computers just adding sales tax when you buy a meal? Or the computer just adding sales tax when you buy clothes?

I understand you getting upset about taxes but seriously, this isn't anymore more than a sales tax on insurance policies. It's not secret, it's not sinister, it's not a plot to deprive you of your freedoms. It's just a tax.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
Your car insurance tax will be paid to the city you list as address. Your car insurance bill will show which city they are paying. In Jefferson County you need to list your actual city not just "Louisville". There are over 80 cities in Jefferson County. If you live in Jeffersontown, Lyndon, Buechal, St. Mathews, Windy Hills, Okolona, Fairdale, Middletown, etc., etc., etc., any incorporated area, you need to use your actual city as your address so that the tax $$'s will be properly directed and not erroneously sent to that tax grub Louisville.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
I believe Kntucky is also only one of seven states that still has a "Tangible Personal Property" tax.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-mov...onal-property/

It was a huge reason why KY was NOT on my list of possible states to retire in.

The map in the above link is a few years old, so the TPP tax may have been abolished by now??

Old 01-25-2018, 02:59 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I believe Kntucky is also only one of seven states that still has a "Tangible Personal Property" tax.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-mov...onal-property/

It was a huge reason why KY was NOT on my list of possible states to retire in.

The map in the above link is a few years old, so the TPP tax may have been abolished by now??
Interesting given that Kentucky is continually ranked as one of the most retirement friendly states in the nation, and low overall taxes is almost always listed as one of the factors. I know we'll be retiring there, and one of the factors is, even with paying all those not-so-secret taxes, our taxes alone will be at least 10K cheaper than where we currently live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky