Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,263 times

Advertisements

If Ky. is 49th ,Mi. has to be 50th. Mi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 PM

114 posts, read 243,853 times
Sounds just like home!! My city generally comes out top of all the wrong league tables (education/teenage pregnancies/obesity/lowest mortality/poverty/lowest paid etc) and bottom of all the right ones (wealthiest/healthiest/happiest/longevity of life etc) yet we are still a happy bunch-well a couple of us! hehehehe......

Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,293,179 times
I have lived in a few states and I have to say I can't wait to get out of Kentucky. I just don't enjoy my time here.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:43 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I have lived in a few states and I have to say I can't wait to get out of Kentucky. I just don't enjoy my time here.
Sorry to hear that, oh well. It's a great state to live in. Some are just blind...

Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 PM

200 posts, read 807,222 times
I can say that I was happier in Kentucky than anywhere else that I have lived. Guess thas why I will be back soon.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 PM

186 posts, read 570,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Happiness is a personal thing that cant be adquately measured in a poll. You are either happy or unhappy somewhere for your own reasons.
I couldn't agree more. I was so unhappy in Phoenix AZ, and not for any reason of circumstance, it was because I hated the bone dry, hot, ugly desert....my personal reason. I move to Ohio and bam, happy as can be. I've lived here for 3 yrs now and still feel giddy, I love it. And, considering I'm only about 100 miles from the KY border, it seems to me KY would be somewhat similar (exception of eastern KY, so I have read).

I've always wondered how these reports are generated because I've never been involved in a survey for anything like that. So how can they lump the entire population for the opinion of a few people?!?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 47,016 times
Well, having been born and raised in the buegrass (Louisville & surrounding counties) and than trying to come back home to a different region (Rockcastle County) this is what I found. The people in general in the south central / eastern region are just plain unwelcoming and hateful. I think it must have to do with the coal country mentality and Rockcastle County(MtVernon, in particular) just belongs on the east side of I-75. I am so grateful our place sold and we were able to leave the area and bad memories behind us. Look very closely and don't rush into buying till you check everything out. Jst shop the local stores and see how people treat you if they don't know you. I can tell you...it doesn't get better once they've seen you in and out for a year!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus2 View Post
Well, having been born and raised in the buegrass (Louisville & surrounding counties) and than trying to come back home to a different region (Rockcastle County) this is what I found. The people in general in the south central / eastern region are just plain unwelcoming and hateful. I think it must have to do with the coal country mentality and Rockcastle County(MtVernon, in particular) just belongs on the east side of I-75. I am so grateful our place sold and we were able to leave the area and bad memories behind us. Look very closely and don't rush into buying till you check everything out. Jst shop the local stores and see how people treat you if they don't know you. I can tell you...it doesn't get better once they've seen you in and out for a year!
Since this is your second post on the KY board and both posts you mention that people are "unwelcoming and hateful," this may be because you're the unfriendly one perhaps?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
I found many Kentuckians to be strangely passive-aggressive, I suppose this is the result of a social system in which people really believe they have "betters"; such a belief creates great underlying tension in a nation that's not supposed to have a caste system.

Because of this system many people in Kentucky do a great deal of dancing around the point and approaching things indirectly, you don't see much of the forthright directness seen in the north where people don't believe they have "betters".

Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
I think you need to clearly define "betters" before I address your post because I want to be clear on exactly what you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky