Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,128 times

Advertisements

well they have southern accents.!. im from around there. if you was to say fingers i would say do you mean fangers?!. and potatoes is taters and tomatoes is maters... we have a very bad accent once you really get into the hollers!. we say yall alot to!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 AM

70 posts, read 110,900 times
Default Sample of accent I've heard all over KY

I searched "Kentucky regional accent" on Youtube and came up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0F6L4HKN9I

In lots of the London Flea Market videos on Youtube one can hear a special brand of southern accent that I've heard in all parts of KY.

To me, some regional accents are much more musical and interesting than others. This KY accent is one of my favorites.

I know I have a blend of New Jersey and Texas accents because I've spent half of my life in each place. The longer I live in KY, the more I hear myself changing yet again.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
Kentucky geographically is a southeastern state. The accent of the majority of native Kentuckians is what one would consider Southern. What many of you forget, is Louisville in recent years has been influence by Indiana with this silly Kentuckiana term. Also, norther Kentucky is influenced by Ohio. there are a lso a vast amount of retired military Yankees in the state. No, I have never met a true/native Kentuckian, either from Louisville, Pikeville, Lexington or Bowling Green speak speak with a so-called Midwest or Northern accent. Those are the facts.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM

37 posts, read 84,187 times
To the OP, if you're still around:

It varies. In Louisville, I guess you have a mixture of midwestern and southern accents, and I think that goes for the same in Lexington. But the former has more of a midwestern feel than the latter. I was born and raised in Louisville, and I don't say "y'all" or use "coke" for every soft drink.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM

28 posts, read 73,623 times
I worked at the now defunct Verizon call center (formerly GTE) in harrodsburg rd for almost 9 years. There were several Lexington natives that I worked with. It was fascinating to me because some of the natives would have a very slight twang, some had to me what sounded like general American dialect, while others sounded REALLY southern, almost equally as southern sounding as my hometown in NC. I would make it a point to ask them where they were originally from and they were born in, went to school, and grew up in Lexington, and yet their accents were not the same. Strange!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 23,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehnifer View Post
Southern accents for sure. My mom calls pants (that you wear) "paints"; and eggs are called "aigs" These are just examples.
Bulls eye lol...
Of course it's southern accent...It's difficult at first if you're not familiar with it but for me now,I love it...btw English is not my native language...

Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are very few areas that are treeless farmland in the South, it's almost all covered with pine forests for paper production. All the horse, cattle, and hay/ grain farms in the BG are more similar to what you would find in the Great Plains/ Midwest IMO
Lol at the part in bold.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:33 PM

118 posts, read 250,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Lol at the part in bold.
Yeah, have you ever heard of plantations census data? NTM corn and soybeans are grown all the way to Florida

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,803 times
i am from manchester kentucky and clay county any old stories out ther hit me back now ya hear

Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,699 times
what is the weather like in Brownsville Kentucky today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky