Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 PM

12 posts, read 43,573 times

Advertisements

I`m looking to move to Kentucky on the lake,Which area is better as far as shopping or dining. What is the better location for looking for work. How do the lakes compare for the best fishing.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Benton is close to Paducah which has tons of shopping for a surprisingly small town. Dining can be found everywhere, depending on what you like.
Work depends on what kind of work you do.
It's Kentucky fishing is good in most places.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 PM

39 posts, read 199,400 times
I was just through Benton a couple of weeks ago and couldn've believe all the amenties that were there for it being such a small town. They have a 24 hour Wal-Mart, a DQ, a big farm supply store, a building supply place and bunches of restaurants. I'm going to be moving to the Hardin area soon so I was pleasantly surprised to see all that stuff available. It means I won't have to drive clear to Murray or Mayfield every time I need a box of nails or a loaf of decent bread. Seems like a good town but no idea about the job market. I'm still trying to find something myself in Murray.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
I was just through Benton a couple of weeks ago and couldn've believe all the amenties that were there for it being such a small town. They have a 24 hour Wal-Mart, a DQ, a big farm supply store, a building supply place and bunches of restaurants. I'm going to be moving to the Hardin area soon so I was pleasantly surprised to see all that stuff available. It means I won't have to drive clear to Murray or Mayfield every time I need a box of nails or a loaf of decent bread. Seems like a good town but no idea about the job market. I'm still trying to find something myself in Murray.
Pepsi of Mid America is running radio ads right now looking for a few people they are expanding and I think they are in Benton. Don't remember the phone number but you could call 1340 AM in Murray to get it. That's were I heard it today.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:34 AM

12 posts, read 43,573 times
Benton area seems the way I`m looking ( haven`t been there yet) but would really like to know a little more about lake malone, there`s a new sub division going in there with some nice homes.How is the town of Lewisburg? what kind of driving distance to benton or other big towns.thanks for the info.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:08 AM

43 posts, read 54,248 times
Default Kentucky on the Lake

Hardinsburg (Breckinridge Co) Kentucky is close to Rough River Lake Resort and the Ohio River. They have Walmart, Dairy Queen, Hardees, McDonald's, Subway, that restaurant where they come out in roller skates (can't remember the name) and family restaurants. It is close enough that a lot of people live there and commute to work in Louisville or Owensboro. People actually come from Louisville to boat at Rough River Lake.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 44,765 times
Smile Western KY

I grew up in western KY between Mayfield & Paducah. It is a great place to live. You would not be very far from Paducah, Mayfield, Murray, Benton or the lakes. (Kentucky & Cumberland). The house prices out in the country are very reasonable. Westvaco is a good employment opportunity. It is on the Ohio river in extreme western KY. Check out some of the real estate for sale websites for Lone Oak, Melber, Symsonia, Wicliffe, Fulton, Lowes, Boaz or Hickory. Fishing, boating and recreation is the best at land Between the Lakes. There are hiking trails, wildlife, cabins and houseboats you can rent. Hey - I think I just talked myself into moving back. LOL

Old 06-16-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjd View Post
I grew up in western KY between Mayfield & Paducah. It is a great place to live. You would not be very far from Paducah, Mayfield, Murray, Benton or the lakes. (Kentucky & Cumberland). The house prices out in the country are very reasonable. Westvaco is a good employment opportunity. It is on the Ohio river in extreme western KY. Check out some of the real estate for sale websites for Lone Oak, Melber, Symsonia, Wicliffe, Fulton, Lowes, Boaz or Hickory. Fishing, boating and recreation is the best at land Between the Lakes. There are hiking trails, wildlife, cabins and houseboats you can rent. Hey - I think I just talked myself into moving back. LOL

Are you sure you grew up over here? Cumberland Lake? I think you mean Barkley Lake ... there is also Reelfoot in far western KY in Fulton Co, most of which is in TN between Obion and Lake Counties.
Westvaco is a paper mill and you DO NOT want a house near it, it STINKS!!! You can smell it from 15 miles away and you can smell anyone that works there, it get in there skin. It doesn't hire many people either anymore in fact they laid some off, however there is Pella Windows in Murray and top ranks company and there are many small employers. The area is also go for starting up a small business if you do you research and keep over head low. The entire area is ripe for tourism and development it still pretty much a secret though, and many ol' timers (most of which are in city/county government) want to keep it that way. However a job can be found if you look for one.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 AM

14 posts, read 50,745 times
I too have been looking at living arouond a lake area. These posts are great with local info. Can anyone tell me about the lakes themselves. Which ones are clean.. not all green.. do any of them have sailing on them? I understand Cumberland doesn't because it is surrounded by the high ridges that the wind stays above the lake. I'm looking for a community on a lake that lives there year round. And of course safety is very important.
Thank you!
Brgrds24

Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 AM

Tons of sailing on Kentucky and Barkley, Kentucky is cleaner as it is deeper, wider. Barkley has lots of driftwood and is more shallow thus it is a little muddy at times. For Sail Boats go to Green Turtle Bay Marina they have nice ones for sale, there are many others too besides them.
Safety is not and issue around here as there really isn't any unsafe areas. Every community on the lake has seasonal people and year round people, not sure if there is a community where everyone is there year round. Many people here have lake homes and live in another town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky