Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 PM

65 posts, read 235,950 times

Advertisements

Hello, I most likely sure this has been brought up thousand plus times but how is living conditions while living in a state that crosses state lines?I believe that it could be somewhat of a challenge with differing laws for each state and such wouldn't? What is it like? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
So far I don't find it to be much of a problem. At least not as far as laws are concerned. Other things are a little... different.

Some of my coworkers tell me that being a resident of one state while working in the other can be a little aggravating, since VA gets income tax from you whether you work there or live there.
Sales tax can startle people if they forget which side of the street they are shopping on downtown. TN sales tax can be a shocker to the folks that don't shop this side often.
Giving out phone numbers is a little different because you need to include the area code.wn the street
Some things in Bristol are for all Bristol residents regardless of which side of the state line you are on, I guess it's based on zip codes. So far I've found that the library, some of the health clinics, and the spay and neuter clinic are like that, probably some other services are too.

I will admit that I'm a little curious about who would get the fine from somebody caught speeding down the middle of State Street. Everybody caught speeding in a westbound direction pays TN and eastbound speeders pay VA, or what?

There is a lot of cooperation between the cities and to me it doesn't seem like it's in two states, most of the time.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM

65 posts, read 235,950 times
Thanks Dubble T Ok, last question have to ask, Which side would be better, tax wise,jobs,fun things to do?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Fun things to do? Either side, downtown straddles the state line and that's where most "events" take place. Area parks are free on both sides. Haven't really seen that there is an advantage to one side or the other as far as entertainment.

VA probably has more job opportunities, especially entry level type jobs, because the main shopping area is on the VA side. Seems like most of the medical centers seem to be on the TN side if you're in the health care field. IMO it's best to work and live on the TN side if possible, in order to avoid paying VA income tax. But a lot of people work across state lines, about half my co-workers in TN live in VA.

Sales tax is 9.25% in TN and 5% in VA. Groceries are slightly more expensive on the VA side so it comes out pretty close to even IMO. I do save a bit by making my big ticket purchases on the VA side when I can. (Found out that ordering from Lowes in VA and having installation in done TN means I pay the TN tax rate though.)
Housing and property taxes are cheaper in VA.

VA requires a vehicle inspection, TN doesn't.

Electric rates are a little cheaper on the TN side.

In my situation living on the TN side works out better for me because the higher cost of housing and property tax is offset by not having to pay income tax.
Also, after listening to my co-workers I get the impression that my income stretches a little further in TN than it would if I were living across the line in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol