Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times

Advertisements

There are now 2 liquor and wine stores plus a brewerery where you can stop in and enjoy an ice cold beer. Jonesborough is moving on up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM

141 posts, read 297,538 times
Just to clarify, I do drive and own a car, and have been known to drink a ice cold beer every now and then.

Thx for the comments, keep em coming.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM

81 posts, read 203,133 times
I moved from upstate New York state (near lake Placid) back in the last part of May, 2011, to the town of Afton (near Greeneville) and every person I've met and had anything to do with at all has been perfectly wonderful to me. This Friday, I'm moving to Unicoi because one of my many new Tennessee friends has offered me an unbelieveable deal on a place to live.

Some of the older folks love to call me "Yorker" in jest because I'm from New York. But these same people are on the phone nearly every day wondering if I'll come to their house to visit or if I'm going to such and such a place that night to play music.

My girlfriend and I have been very well received by all.

Last Friday night I played Bluegrass music in The Choo Choo Cafe on main street in the town of Erwin and I couldn't have been received any more friendlier. I think the world of the people down here and they all like us, too. Plus, the area is absolutely gorgeous!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

141 posts, read 297,538 times
That's what I like to hear Fiddliferous

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM

218 posts, read 417,265 times
Fiddliferous:
Thank you for your positive comments about the folks here and the beautiful surroundings. It's so nice to have some one who did not grow up in the area saying how much you love the area and how welcome you feel. Sometimes, I think there is a negative feeling of some people who were not born here, that they aren't part of the community. Given a chance, most everyone will welcome you into their foal. You are proof positive. Let me know when you playing next - I'd love to hear you.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomegrowninTN View Post
Fiddliferous:
Thank you for your positive comments about the folks here and the beautiful surroundings. It's so nice to have some one who did not grow up in the area saying how much you love the area and how welcome you feel. Sometimes, I think there is a negative feeling of some people who were not born here, that they aren't part of the community. Given a chance, most everyone will welcome you into their foal. You are proof positive. Let me know when you playing next - I'd love to hear you.
HomegrowninTN, after I'd lived here about a month or so, I was sitting in my car in Greeneville looking at a map of the mountains around the Houston Valley area and planning a picnic on the Paint Rock area when out of the blue there came a knock on my window. It was a kind gentleman who saw me looking at the map and he wondered if I could use some help in locating anything. This is typical in TN. Nearly every time I am entering Walmart's or some other business, people, not just adults, but also young people, will hurry ahead to open the door for me. I attribute this type of behavior to culture. This is rare back home in northern NY.

The band I am in (called "String Fever") is playing this Friday night at The Choo Choo Cafe in Erwin. However I will not be there as I will be entertaining guests that are coming up from Zephyr Hills, FL to visit Mary and me.

Hope to meet you sometime. Have a great day.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Something that you might want to consider while making a decision is that there is a uranium processing facility in Erwin. I know it sounds strange, but there it is.
NFS= Nuclear Fuel Facility. radioactive waste

Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM

35 posts, read 81,508 times
When people say Clannish,I think they actually mean Klannish...if you catch my drift. Erwin's a great place to live as long as you're not Black,Latino,Liberal,or originally from the North,West,East,or a different part of the South. Plus there is also Nuclear Fuel Services and their long and interesting history of leaking toxic waste into the surrounding environment at levels that would make even Monty Burns shake his withered old head in disbelief. They do have a nice fast food restaurant though...whats it called? Dairy Ace? Good milkshakes.....

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM

218 posts, read 308,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
When people say Clannish,I think they actually mean Klannish...if you catch my drift. Erwin's a great place to live as long as you're not Black,Latino,Liberal,or originally from the North,West,East,or a different part of the South. Plus there is also Nuclear Fuel Services and their long and interesting history of leaking toxic waste into the surrounding environment at levels that would make even Monty Burns shake his withered old head in disbelief. They do have a nice fast food restaurant though...whats it called? Dairy Ace? Good milkshakes.....
Racism has its roots, but to say that the town is as prejudiced as it once was is absurd. Far too many retirees from various "segregated" (so to speak) areas, particularly the northern US, have moved in for that to have as much meaning as it once did. The Latino population has exploded recently. Granted, most are working class, but their numbers are increasing. There are Blacks, Asians, and Liberals amongst the townsfolk as well. Sure, there are the "traditionalist" hold-outs who only socialize amongst the ranks of the "Erwin elite," but what populous doesn't have that scene? I work in the town's primary supermarket, and I see the town's social habits on display four to five times a week. I will reiterate, it's not a progressive town, and certainly isn't the best place for young adults to live. To say that it's this bad isn't correct, however.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 AM

I love it here. On Thursdays, there's some really neat cultural stuff, namely Buegrass and old-timey music going on at "The Red Barn" on the Laurels road just out of Unicoi off 107/173. There are 200 people here sometimes and I've yet to meet anyone who's clan-ish.
Everyone I've met has a great sense of humor. Many, at their own expense, bring free food for everyone else to eat.

This is a wonderful opportunity to meet real people.

It's fun watching the football players practice at the county high school and eat at the local diners and fast-food joints, too.

There's lot of competition on gas prices which is good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol