Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 AM

677 posts, read 1,074,007 times

Advertisements

Aldi is a welcome addition and just adds to our diversity in the grocery market. The Kroger is South JC, btw, just completed a major renovation that included the addition of a Starbucks, much more in the way of natural/organic foods, a larger pharmacy, etc. I do agree, though, that the other Krogers in the region need some freshening up.

I know I've said it before but the number and variety of grocery stores in JC is quite impressive. From the lower-range stores (Priceless, Aldi, Walmart) to mid-range (Food City, Kroger, Ingles) to the higher-end (Earth Fare, The Fresh Market) there is just about a grocery store for everyone of any income level. Now if we could only get a Trader Joe's.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 PM

311 posts, read 398,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Aldi is a welcome addition and just adds to our diversity in the grocery market. The Kroger is South JC, btw, just completed a major renovation that included the addition of a Starbucks, much more in the way of natural/organic foods, a larger pharmacy, etc. I do agree, though, that the other Krogers in the region need some freshening up.

I know I've said it before but the number and variety of grocery stores in JC is quite impressive. From the lower-range stores (Priceless, Aldi, Walmart) to mid-range (Food City, Kroger, Ingles) to the higher-end (Earth Fare, The Fresh Market) there is just about a grocery store for everyone of any income level. Now if we could only get a Trader Joe's.....
Kroger also recently remodeled the Kingsport and Bristol store, both locations are quite a bit nicer now.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Kroger also recently remodeled the Kingsport and Bristol store, both locations are quite a bit nicer now.
I was in the Kingsport and Bristol stores both since summer and both were as miserable as when I left in February last year.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Kroger could really do better in those locations. I've seen much nicer Kroger's in the Nashville and Knoxville areas. Aldi will be a great addition to the area, as Aldi now offers several organic, natural, and gluten-free items in their stores. If you haven't been to Wal-Mart lately, check out their new collaboration with Wild Oats. Wild Oats organic brand is now mixed in with Wal-Mart Food items. Wal-Mart has also added their own organic brands in Great Value and Sam's Choice. It's still not what it should be, but it is a vast improvement over nothing at all. By these stores offering organic items at lower prices, it reaches a lower-income demographic, and hopefully will allow everyone to make better choices.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:19 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I think Aldi will give Food City some MUCH needed competition and hopefully if another store or two come in, the grocery market can diversify a bit and prices can come down to a level more commensurate with what would be expected in the area.
I think Aldi will do very well here and make a sizable dent in Food City's sales. But given grocery stores' razor-thin margins (from about 1 to 3%), there's little room for any of the major chains to lower their food prices across the board.

Quote:
I was in the Kingsport and Bristol stores both since summer and both were as miserable as when I left in February last year.
Back in September you posted, "I went to the Kroger on Saturday evening and the store was in such disarray, with so many empty shelves, that I just left and went to the Eastman Road Food City."

That's because you were there in the midst of their upgrade, and the Kingsport Kroger now looks considerably better that it ever has. I shop there at least once a week and while it'll still never be an aesthetic delight, it really doesn't matter much to me; I'm there to buy stuff, not admire the new fixtures & signage.

The Bristol Kroger -- 8 years newer & 10% bigger than Kingsport's -- is a far cry from what I'd call miserable. It's simply average though perfectly adequate for most locals' grocery needs. Now the pre-upgrade Big Lots stores in JC & Kingsport? Those were truly depressing places to shop.

Last edited by kamoshika; 01-16-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
The remodel of both stores happened after that, the Kingsport Kroger just finished the remodel a few months ago and Bristol was maybe June of last year. So it's pretty recent and both stores are much nicer and cleaner than before. They did a total revamp of both stores and they are fine now although I agree before remodeling they were kinda dumpy.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 AM

195 posts, read 275,687 times
At the grand opening of the Kingsport Aldi the company reps in black suits told several people that the company would open a store in Bristol next.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page2 View Post
At the grand opening of the Kingsport Aldi the company reps in black suits told several people that the company would open a store in Bristol next.
I've been to Aldi in Kingsport twice already since opening, I liked it. Most items are quite cheap and so far everything I've tried has been good. Their store branded items seem pretty good to me and I will for sure be saving money by shopping there. I wasn't impressed with the meat prices and how the meat looked so I will stick to Kroger and Priceless for meat but most everything else I will go to Aldi for.

Last edited by sprintuser2014; 01-18-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,559 times
Quote:
All of the JC options are improving. The South Roan Food City looks much nicer after the recent renovation and expansion they just completed and they've added several new departments including a brick oven for pizza, salad bar, and a smoker they do ribs, pulled pork, and chicken on daily. The organic and natural sections were greatly expanded, the pharmacy is larger, etc. I think all of this is planned for the one being built on the State of Franklin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
I think Aldi will do very well here and make a sizable dent in Food City's sales. But given grocery stores' razor-thin margins (from about 1 to 3%), there's little room for any of the major chains to lower their food prices across the board.
I agree that Aldi will do very well and is very welcome. However, I see them having the most impact on other stores that are price-focused. I imagine many people that frequent Walmart and Priceless foods will switch to aldi if they can get a better price. These are the ones Rangerred mentioned being on the low-end with a price focus. I work with many people who moved to the area, and many of them were familiar with Aldi. But it was an interesting correlation because many transplants seem to go to Kroger most often because Kroger is a familiar name all over the country where Priceless, Ingles, and Food City are regional chains. Food City seems to get many more people who have always lived in the area, or moved here from a more rural area, and have never heard of Aldi. Many people I know that go to food city also cite their community support and donations or local produce as a reason they go. Or they quote the Target meme that circulates, where you can go, pay slightly more, and still get everything you need, and totally avoid the walmart atmosphere being long lines, crowded stores, questionable meats, etc. However, the old St. of Franklin Food City being so close will cause some shoppers to switch from food city due to distance, especially when the new one opens up the road. I imagine this will affect all the grocers, maybe even Food City the least with the exception of the high-end Fresh Market and Earthfare.

Last edited by Trevor92; 01-19-2015 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: spelling corrections

Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Johnson City has a good selection of grocery stores but Kingsport and especially Bristol is lacking in this area. Kingsport now has Aldi, Priceless, Food City, Ingles, Kroger, Walmart, and Save-a-lot. However we still lack a higher end/more healthy grocery store such as Earth Fare and Fresh Market but the choices in Kingsport are getting better. Bristol however greatly needs more they only have Kroger, Food City, and Walmart that's it. A Priceless is being built in Bristol though and supposedly Aldi is heading to Bristol next but that's just rumors at the moment. I've always been very disappointed in the lack of grocery stores in the Bristol area given its size they can support more choices than what they currently have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol