Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times

Advertisements

Has Tri-Cities Crossing found a Anchor Tenant yet?

The I-26/I-81 Interchange has the be worst Interstate Grade Interchange in the United States! I pray that if stores get built in the TCC, TDOT will fix this. Well even if they don't get built it needs fixed in the condition it's in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:41 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post

The I-26/I-81 Interchange has the be worst Interstate Grade Interchange in the United States! I pray that if stores get built in the TCC, TDOT will fix this. Well even if they don't get built it needs fixed in the condition it's in.
The last time I was in the Tri-Cities (Memorial Day) it was pretty much nothing but graded land there and has been that way for a year or so. I googled it this morning and didn't find much news. Honestly, I don't think much will end up happening there as the Pinnacle and Falls will already have a big lead and I'm not convinced the area's retail scene can even keep those two going.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I completely agree and believe that entire development is shortsighted. All of the stores are heavily incentivized by the developer and don't really fit with the area's demographics. Not to mention the 1990's era sprawl of the development itself. Now Bristol is left with a huge vacant shell in the middle of town (pretty much the same in Kingsport) that was once a thriving mall. In an era of sustainable development and a focus on non-motorized transportation this development is pretty senseless.
I really don't think any of the Tri-Cities political leadership are focused on sustainable development or getting away from autocentric development. The area just isn't dense enough to focus on a transit system outside of a few buses in the city core. I also don't see how the Pinnacle is much more sprawled than other suburban lifestyle shopping centers or how it doesn't fit the area's demographics. Aside from Bass Pro, many of the stores there are stores the area I already had - is a new GNC, Jersey Mike's, Belk, Penney, etc, not fitting the demographics of what's been here for years? If anything, I think these developments need something new to differentiate themselves.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I completely agree and believe that entire development is shortsighted. All of the stores are heavily incentivized by the developer and don't really fit with the area's demographics. Not to mention the 1990's era sprawl of the development itself. Now Bristol is left with a huge vacant shell in the middle of town (pretty much the same in Kingsport) that was once a thriving mall. In an era of sustainable development and a focus on non-motorized transportation this development is pretty senseless.
My experience in the planning world (such as it is) has taught me one thing: so often the city building is lead by the DEVELOPER, not by the retailers, even the huge ones like BPS and even Walmart/Target etc. I think the Tri-Cities has a dearth of quality, well-informed developers to lure these folks in.

Look at the Walmart/Publix that did a great urban infill project in Knoxville. Totally developer-driven.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
TCC has a massive & operational LED sign up - but as far as I know, no tenants. All it would take would be a Super Target, a theater, a couple unique restaurants, and I think the rest would fill in quickly.

The interstate at 26/81 definitely needs longer ramps and could be holding back the development. I think nothing has taken off at Boones Creek because that exit is so poorly designed. Once the Gray exit is finished, they need to move on to those two.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM

311 posts, read 398,519 times
Well the Bristol Mall was sold today, only one bidder even showed up and purchased it for $2 Million.

Bristol Mall sells for $2M to first bidder | WJHL

Old 08-19-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Well the Bristol Mall was sold today, only one bidder even showed up and purchased it for $2 Million.

Bristol Mall sells for $2M to first bidder | WJHL
Someone sure got a steal on the land.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:46 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post

The cloverleaf interchange became outdated quickly after the extension of Interstate 26 into Tennessee. A quick fix is to replace two loops with two directional flyovers.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Speaking of interchanges has anyone seen the diverging diamond interchange in Kodak? (You briefly drive on the wrong side of the road.)
Home - The Diverging Diamond Interchange Website

I wonder if this design would work well at Boones Creek or elsewhere in the TRI?

Old 08-23-2015, 03:03 AM

24 posts, read 48,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
TCC has a massive & operational LED sign up - but as far as I know, no tenants. All it would take would be a Super Target, a theater, a couple unique restaurants, and I think the rest would fill in quickly.

The interstate at 26/81 definitely needs longer ramps and could be holding back the development. I think nothing has taken off at Boones Creek because that exit is so poorly designed. Once the Gray exit is finished, they need to move on to those two.
Not many people in the rapidly growing Boones Creek and Gray areas are going to want to drive all the way to Bristol to shop, so I think TCC will end up seeing tenants soon-ish regardless of the ridiculously terrible I26/I81 interchange.

What I'd really like to see at TCC is a Costco, but I know that's a pipe dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol