Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 AM

11 posts, read 49,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming up to the Elizabethton area in March to look at property to buy. We are looking for acerage to build a home on. We have 2 school age children and I am simply lost trying to figure out which school district is good and which to stay away from. We want to live in a small town, with a major shopping within 20 minutes. By major I mean a real grocery store. We live in the country now, and are used to driving to town to get what we need. My husband is an aircraft mechanic and will be looking to commute. He will be retired military so we are hoping the VA hospital is nice as well. If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it. We want mountain views, but schools are extremely important to us. Our children will be 5 and 11 when we move to the area. We currently live outside of Memphis, and we want something better for our kids. We both grew up in small towns and are trying our best to find another one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
We live in Telford about 3 miles outside of Jonesborough and about 10 miles outside of Johnson City. It is ver y rural and very scenic out this way with lots of hilly rolling pasture land and pretty views of the mountains. Be sure to check out this area, it sounds like what you are looking for.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,365 times
There's a post down the page a bit, entitled 'Horses ...' something - mbmouse in her reply to the post listed several places for sale with acreage - 2 of them were near Elizabethton. Be sure to check that out.

Elizabethton has 3 real grocery stores: Food City, Whites, and Ingles. Also, WalMart, which has a big grocery section.

Elizabethton also has an airport.... possible job for DH? There is a helicoptor manufacturer in Piney Flats - another possibility.

As far as schools go, the main difference here is 'county' schools vs 'city' schools. People have opinions on which is better. My opinion is that it's up to the student and what they make of it, what their own personal work ethic is, etc.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM

227 posts, read 720,288 times
I like the Stoney Creek area just outside of Elizabethton if you are looking that way. I have a friend with children in the schools out that way and she is happy with it. It is rural with pretty views but close to Elizabethton for shopping and convenient to the Elizabethton airport.

If your husband is looking to work at Tri-Cities airport, you might look in Piney Flats, Blountville, Bluff City or Gray. I've heard the schools in Piney Flats and Gray are very good. I don't really know anything about the schools in Blountville or Bluff City. My husband works at the Tri-Cities airport and we live in Piney Flats. It's a pretty easy commute for him - about 20 minutes.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 AM

Thank you all so much for the information. I am trying to learn all I can about the area before our visit. I have moved around most of my life, my husband has too. This will be my kids first move, and hopefully their last until college. I remember too well what it was like trying to fit in at a new school. We are really excited about the area. We are working with a real estate agent, but I really like to hear what the locals think of different areas and schools.

Does anyone have any experience with area Va hospital?

If you were to choose between Elizabethton, Piney Flats, and Jonesborough which would you pick and why?

I saw photos of Jonesborough on this site, it reminds me of Old Folsom in California, which I love.

We were amazed to see there is a helicopter manufacturer there. Thank you for that Grannylois.

Dcommander, does your husband like the airport? Can you tell me what the turn-over is like there?
Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by 4smalltowns; 02-14-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: added to

Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 28,224 times
Yes, I do have quite a bit of experience with the VA Hospital in Johnson City it is a little hard to navigate, but the care the people give you there is good and they take great pride in knowing that they are caring for the people that cared for them and it is genuine.

Personally Piney Flats and Blountville is middle between J.C, Kingsport and Bristol, also you will only pay county taxes compare to city and county.

One of my buddies works at the Airport, also retired military and he loves it, he started out at the bottom but has moved thru the ranks quick. He is in management with Delta now.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 AM

227 posts, read 720,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4smalltowns View Post
If you were to choose between Elizabethton, Piney Flats, and Jonesborough which would you pick and why?

Dcommander, does your husband like the airport? Can you tell me what the turn-over is like there?
When we first moved here, we chose Piney Flats because that's where the house we like was located. The area we were in was annexed into Johnson City so our kids were in city schools. We later moved out of the area and when we came back we chose Piney Flats because we liked living here the first time. I like the location and it is starting to grow with new grocery stores, drug store and a few restaurants. But it is very close to JC, Bristol and Kingsport for any thing else we may need.

My husband works in air traffic control so he is separate from the actual airport. They don't really have much turn over where he is.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,365 times
4smalltowns, those are 3 real good choices. I would choose Elizabethton because it has more of everything than the other 2 places. Also, i live in Stoney Creek, a rural part of Elizabethton. :-)

Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I agree, good choices of towns to look into. If it were me, I would choose Jonesborugh out of those due only to the school system. I personally feel it is a bit better than the other school systems in the towns you are looking at. But others will and do feel different. School pride, not matter which one, can run strong here. I guess your best bet is to come visit and look around for your selves. See which town and schools feel better to you.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 AM

I am very excited about this coming trip. The more I learn here the better it sounds. I do have another question though. I will be traveling with 3 children, we are planning on staying at the Double Tree in Johnson City, (if this is not a good idea, someone please let me know) I was wondering if there is any bowling alley's or something else to go do in the evenings with the kids? We will be property shopping during the day, and I am sure the kids will be bored stiff. I need something fun for them to do in the early evenings, I would love to hear some suggestions.

I want to thank everyone again for all the help on my questions. I am so glad I found this board while trying to research the area. I am amazed at the number of people not from that area, but all over the country that live there. I know in some places when you are the new people in town it is hard to be accepted, is it that way there? If I don't have a southern accent will I be looked at like I am crazy? My husband has the accent, but I don't and get questioned about it alot here. Not that it bothers me, I'm just curious.

I am driving my real estate lady crazy with questions too, but so far she is holding up ok.

My last question is does anyone have personal expierence with the Lamar school? We found some property out that way that looks promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol