Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times

Advertisements

The weather in NE Tenn. was absolutely perfect this afternoon with 70-degree temps, crystal-clear views and sweet, rain-washed air. I drove down to Church Hill to visit my parents, stopping off at Laurel Run Park to check out the wildflower display.

View of area just before entering the park

Gated entrance to the park

Boy fishing from park riverbank

One of several picnic shelters at the foot of the mountain

Wood poppy

Woodland phlox

Dutchman's breeches, one of my favorite wildlowers

Rue anemone

Trout lily

Field off Hwy. 346 near Surgoinsville

Entrance to idyllic old farm on River Rd. near Surgoinsville

Last edited by kamoshika; 04-06-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM

115 posts, read 596,477 times
You did it again....great pics!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 AM

423 posts, read 1,405,305 times
Encore...Encore!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Beautiful! Keep up the great work.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:33 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Wow! Great shots. I love Laurel Run! I grew up going there. They shot the movie "The River" there--with Sissy Spacek and Mel Gibson. They built a house and a barn, weathered them, and left them as part of the park. BUT, they were burned down shortly afterwards (arson--they think).
Anyway, I grew up in Surgoinsville/Church Hill/Rogersville and "don't know what you got til it's gone" is so true! Gorgeous countryside!! TN is amazing.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM

83 posts, read 274,970 times
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pics, they make me want to just pack up the car and head up there.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Stunning photos as always... I am ashamed to post mine that I took today!
Thanks, but I've had the same thoughts about my photos after seeing those by LauraC and others who have real talent. Really, though, it's all too easy to point, shoot & capture NE Tenn.'s natural beauty, even for rank amateurs like us! That's a super shot of the dog, BTW.

Here's one more from last Sunday, a wonderful horse farm on Surgoinsville's River Road. It overlooks the river and has a great mountain view to boot:

jjbradleynyc, my dad grew up in Goshen Valley and I still have several relatives who live on GV Road. I've always loved Laurel Run Park and one of my aunts & her husband are actually the new caretakers there. But last weekend, it broke my heart to see that several home lots have been or are being carved out of the wooded, steep mountainside just a little ways before you get to the park. The largest display of Virginia bluebells I've ever seen has pretty much been wiped out in the process.

The farmland directly across the river from the park is already being developed, as you probably already know. But at least the park itself is in very good condition and probably just as you remember it from your last visit. I played a small role in the construction of Kiner Hollow Trail that runs from the back of the park all the way to Bays Mtn. Park's Indian Pipes Trail; it was completed in '03, I think. It's easily my favorite trail on the mountain.

Last edited by kamoshika; 04-10-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Thats a stunning photo at the end too!

Yeah, that dog is "Rattler"... He was there in that area and posing, so I thought I would snap a shot of him. He is a good boy. He was a stray that came a couple of years ago and has came here to stay I guess. When he first came he had fishing hooks/tackle in his fur and he was rattling, so one of my cousins called him "Rattler". He goes somewhere for hours, but he always comes back when he is hungry. We have became attached to him and I hope nothing happens to him, we already have four dogs, so you can see we love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
That's a super shot of the dog, BTW.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 PM

43 posts, read 142,536 times
Default kamosh pics

Holy molly, are those the most beautiful pictures i have ever seen!!!

its sooooooooooo beautiful there... they look almost fake its so pretty!

thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures!

i cant wait to come to tennessee

Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
You've got talent with cameras as well. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. My wife sends her thanks also as she loves flowers. I can't wait for the next few years to go by, so we can be in Tennessee as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol