Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times

Advertisements

I've heard there is a lot of new retail coming to the area of SoF between Old Navy and the Med Center. But I haven't heard any names or details.

Well, earth is moving and construction is ensuing, and all I've heard is that there is one really good restaurant from Atlanta coming in. Does anyone have any more details?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I've not heard anything at all. I hope that means they're staying tight-lipped because they have some good tenants, and not that they didn't bother to get anyone anchored in at all (which would be very Johnson City-esque of them).

I also noticed that a new "DQ" has opened downtown near the police department. I don't know if that's Dairy Queen or not, and haven't had a chance to stop yet.

Also there is some major grading going on at the end of Tennessee Street down near the VA. Will they turn it into a four lane? Looks like it!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM

22 posts, read 73,437 times
The DQ has been there for years... they just cleaned it up and redesigned it. The Tennessee St. project has also been in the works for years. I believe it was envisioned for at least a decade before they started it this month. As for the St. of Franklin project- it has been extremely quiet as to potential tenets. Odd???

Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM

LOL! Really? Well, I guess that shows you what a fresh coat of paint will do. I drove down there the other day and my first thought was "Oh, a new restaurant!" Their sign said "Now Hiring," so that reinforced my thought. Oh well.

And, what exactly are they doing around TN St? The area could use some revamping to be sure, but putting in additional lane(s) will really cut the neighborhood's yards way down.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

Also there is some major grading going on at the end of Tennessee Street down near the VA. Will they turn it into a four lane? Looks like it!
Tn St project details:
The contractor will perform specific work including:

• Excavation, grading, and paving to extend Tennessee Street from the intersection of Tennessee and Lamont streets north to the intersection of Pactolas Road and West Market Street.

• Excavation, grading, and paving to realign side streets (Pactolas Road, Main Street, Lehigh Street, Wilson Street, Hamilton Street and Lamont Street), driveways, and parking lots.

• Installation of retaining walls.

• Installation of a stormwater collection system, including a box culvert for King Creek to allow for the stream crossing of Tennessee Street.

• Installation of curb, gutter and a sidewalk.

• Resurfacing 1,725 feet of West Market Street and John Exum Parkway.

The extended Tennessee Street will feature four 12-foot lanes with curb/gutter and sidewalk on both sides of the road.

New traffic signals will be placed at the intersection of Tennessee and West Market streets and the intersection of Tennessee and Lamont streets.
:: Johnson City Press - News :: (http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?Cat=LOCALNEWS&ID=63851 - broken link)

Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Oh! Well, that's very different than I envisioned, but it makes sense, and I'm glad to see that the Hillcrest red light on Mkt St will be going away, the Mkt/Exum area was always a bit strange. Plus this will provide a much needed rear entrance upgrade to ETSU to alleviate traffic on the Medical Center side. This project, along with the massive (relatively) dorm they're building on the old side of campus, and the proposed office/retail/school tower beside the Millenium Center will finally make South Johnson City equal North.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 PM

I've heard the Millennium Ctr Tower might be on he rocks due to ETSU not getting some state funding. We can still hope; those would easily be the best dorms on campus.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 PM

I hope so, too. But what the campus really needs is parking garages. I heard those had been in the works, too, prior to budget slashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol