Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I like serving up a balanced look at our area for newcomers, I often get chastised for being negative. The way I see it, 99.9999 percent of the people are 100% move here, move now, TN is great (it is!!), having said that, the ONLY thing that I warn people about are jobs or the lack of good paying jobs.

So as a service to those that are looking to move here without a job lined up, here is my recent observance of the local job market.

Eastman was in the paper recently laying off 40 people and cutting their budget $100 million.

Bush Hog is on a 2 week shut down and it was reported in the paper that they are for sale.

Kennametal has cut pay by having people take some unpaid time off (limited episodes) instead of laying off more people than they already have. This was told to me today by the wife of a worker there.

Ruby Tuesday closing, Goody's in bankruptcy, Wellmont hospital has a hiring freeze for non nursing staff, and nursing staff have been called off alot more often now (no work).

Several husbands of the girls in my Nursing class have been laid off, with no hope of getting a new job anytime soon.

This bad jobs news isn't all inclusive, I'm sure there are companies hiring and the bad news isn't TN specific, the whole country has companies either laying people off or cutting back on hours to prevent layoffs.

So, what's my point, I've said it before and was told in no uncertain words to mind my own business, but I'll say again......IN MY OPINION....you should NOT move to TN without a job lined up prior to getting here. Ultimately, do what you want, but just do it knowing that you may not find a job or if you do it's most likely a low paying job, partially balanced with a lower cost of living, but not all balanced out.

Take care, I hope that I wasn't too negative and if I was I'm sorry, but if you are mad about this post......don't read it

Tony

P.S. Who else is laying off, or better yet who is HIRING? That'd be good news. Lowes should be hiring in Jonesborough when the new store is done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Well, dunno anyone that's hiring. My roommate is out of work and has been since May. Hopefully a seasonal position (merchandising) will call him back around April. A new store is coming into the mall (no names yet) and a new restaurant is evidently moving into the old Ruby Tuesday so there are jobs.

The problem, as with this entire NE region, is that these jobs are menial.

I've pretty much seen everyone agree with you, Tony. I've said it to many people myself. I wouldn't move (anywhere) without a job in my pocket or with enough cash to live for 2 years while supporting myself with retail work. Here, even retail work is scarce. I'm happy to be working at Target!

Some retail-ish jobs are coming into the TC though. Bojangles just opened a new location, Earth Fare came in a few months ago. The new huge grocery (is it Food City?) is opening in Piney Bluff. And of course the new Lowe's. Of course for that, there's closures with Whites all over the place, Ruby Tuesday, Goody's, Backyard Burger.

I wonder if the major call centers (AT&T or whatever it is now across from Mr K's) and Citi in Gray are hiring? I believe Wyndham is NOT hiring at the moment.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,270 times
First, there is nothing wrong with Dave Ramsey, he makes alot of sense!

Wyndam is shutting down, not just "not hiring at the moment".

TPI in Gray will be hiring people sometime soon, as they are shutting down a smaller plant in Ohio to focus on the Gray location. There is supposed to be a call center coming to Boones Creek, which will supposedly add about 500 jobs. About half of those may be filled by those affected by Wyndam. Lowes in Jonesborough will be hiring when they open and if Hamilton Place shopping center ever fills up, there should be some jobs there.

I believe our unemployment rate is more or less 6% (correct me if Im wrong there). Thats better than many places, though obviously would like to see it lower.

But no, obviously you dont want to make a blind move hoping to fall into a job when you get here. Have something lined up, and then make the move.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Yes Tony, you are correct, no one should ever move anywhere without having income plans in line. I believe I can read every other post anywhere on any TN forums and read that same line. Just about every one of the "regulars" here have said, several times over: "have a job lined up before you move."
It is good to point it out strongly though in the current economy.
As for the second part of your post, "who's hiring?"
I have no idea, so I checked out the jobnetwork and just put in the TN Tri-Cities as a search choice. There are 5 pages of jobs listed. Some look like "work from home crud" but there seem to be some decent ones, here is a quick partial list.
RN's
LPN's
CNA's
Safety professional
Day care staff
HVAC foreman
Assistant manager credit Co.
Sales in local warehouse
legal assistant
H.R. Admin
Oncology
Urology
Telemarketer
Flatbed driver
Bookkeeper
Tax services

and that was on the first page. So I wouldn't say there are any longer large companies such as Bush Hog, A.O.Smith, Eastman and such that are doing any mass hiring but there are jobs out there. Are they "good" jobs? I have no idea.
What I think this areas biggest issue as far as jobs go is qualifications. We have a lot of recently laid off people who have worked in warehouse or industrial who are having a hard time finding a job because they do not have qualifications to be a bookkeeper or be in the medical field for example.
I think it is not only the recession but a turn over in types of work needed in this area. Heck, all over the country. A lot of our countries industrial work has gone over seas or just gone due to us buying everything made in Taiwan.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Wyndham is shutting down? Well, that stinks.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 AM

47 posts, read 168,338 times
We refused to move without a job lined up and now we have one. Relocating to Bristol and pretty excited. The fiance has a job that can cover all bills and then have lots left over for menial expenses and savings, I get to take my time finding one but am worried that there won't be much.

Very sage advice though whether in poor economy or healthy, do not risk financial disaster for the sake of change.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
A friend of ours from Atwork in Bristol said its the slowest they have ever been and that the only thing she knew of coming available in the next two weeks was a Bristol manufacturing plant would need a position filled that paid minimum wage.
The employment agencies don't control everything in the area so I'm sure someone is hiring.
My son said the Walmart on Volunteer needs a cashier 25 hours a week.
I can't remember the name now but what used to be Terry's potato chip plant is hiring.
Earth Fair on State Of Franklin in Johnson City has had two openings in the meat dept in the last month, not sure if they filled them or not.
Aurora Hardwoods is accepting applications at their plant in the industrial park in Piney Flats. Not sure what if anything is actually available as many companies in this area have that practice in case someone leaves.
I heard Modern Forge needed someone in their forge shop. The work isn't for everyone, its extremely hot. I've been told you get a break every ten minutes to keep from dehydrating. Not sure which job agency is handling this. One of the guys on our volleyball team mentioned it.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Yes Tony, you are correct, no one should ever move anywhere without having income plans in line. I believe I can read every other post anywhere on any TN forums and read that same line. Just about every one of the "regulars" here have said, several times over: "have a job lined up before you move."
It is good to point it out strongly though in the current economy.
As for the second part of your post, "who's hiring?"
I have no idea, so I checked out the jobnetwork and just put in the TN Tri-Cities as a search choice. There are 5 pages of jobs listed. Some look like "work from home crud" but there seem to be some decent ones, here is a quick partial list.
RN's
LPN's
CNA's
Safety professional
Day care staff
HVAC foreman
Assistant manager credit Co.
Sales in local warehouse
legal assistant
H.R. Admin
Oncology
Urology
Telemarketer
Flatbed driver
Bookkeeper
Tax services

and that was on the first page. So I wouldn't say there are any longer large companies such as Bush Hog, A.O.Smith, Eastman and such that are doing any mass hiring but there are jobs out there. Are they "good" jobs? I have no idea.
What I think this areas biggest issue as far as jobs go is qualifications. We have a lot of recently laid off people who have worked in warehouse or industrial who are having a hard time finding a job because they do not have qualifications to be a bookkeeper or be in the medical field for example.
I think it is not only the recession but a turn over in types of work needed in this area. Heck, all over the country. A lot of our countries industrial work has gone over seas or just gone due to us buying everything made in Taiwan.
Hi mary beth,

I can definitely say you can get a nursing assistant job, that's because they generally start in the $6 to $7.50 range per hour, there's always an opening due to people quitting after a few weeks/months, and as far as LPN pay (I'm in LPN school) it's not good for new hires $11.50 an hour starting pay for a year of school and the responsibility! But it's better than nothing and if you take the night shift or work at a nursing home the pay is better. I'll continue on to get my RN after I graduate.

Take care,

Tony
CNA
LPN student

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The problem, as with this entire NE region, is that these jobs are menial.

I've pretty much seen everyone agree with you, Tony. I've said it to many people myself. I wouldn't move (anywhere) without a job in my pocket or with enough cash to live for 2 years while supporting myself with retail work. Here, even retail work is scarce. I'm happy to be working at Target!
Sorry to be a little gun shy, I've tried to limit my postings on the TN forum after I was told not to post because I only post negative stuff. It's true that I'm a very realistic person and I do focus on the negative, so I've tried to stop posting. The only reason that I post stuff that is not always positive is to try and give another viewpoint and to give the starry eyed potential newcomers something to weigh against all the positives on moving. Believe me TN is great!! I like it here, but as anywhere you have to earn money to live and it's just a little tougher here than other places.

I'll give you an example of being negative to be positive: I always use my sister as an example, I told her husband what was going to happen to the economy and what that would mean to him and by extension, my sister. Believe me, he would have non of it, told me I was way too negative and he what I said would NEVER happen to him. Well I just got off the phone with my sister, the job cleaning toilets that she just got is the only income that they have, all of the workers that her husband had are laid off, they haven't paid their mortgage in 6 months, have a foreclosure notice and weeks to move out, the 2 vehicle leases they have can't be paid and she has a total of $200 to her name for groceries, light bill etc. And she said that her husband said that $%#@ brother of yours was right and that he hates to admit it.

Not that I give a crap about being right, my point to him was to have a PLAN B!!! IF, the worse happens, have a fallback plan. He wouldn't even consider the possibility of needing a plan B, so now they don't even have enough money for a down payment on a lease.......of course they could always sell some of the stuff that they paid with from their mortgage refi.

My point.....yes there is one......PLEASE move to TN, we need the tax base, but do it with 6 months living expenses and the knowledge that it might take a little while to find a job, and even longer to find a good paying one

Take care

Tony

Last edited by Beretta; 01-16-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Keep on posting, Tony.

I don't call your posts negative, but rather reality and good,sound advice.

I have only been posting since Oct 2007, but I am amazed at how many people desire to re-locate , state their financial problems where they now live, ask for info about the scenery in TN, KY, or Arkansas, their desire to aquire land and at the very end ask about jobs.

If one has financial problems where they now live and have a job--------moving to a lower cost of living, more desireable place with no job won't solve anything.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM

423 posts, read 1,405,305 times
One thing for sure...several of you folks on this CD forum have gone out of your way to research and post suggestions for job opportunities as a way to help others who are searching. A big THANKS to you...you know who you are. You make me proud to be an American and a soon to be Tennessean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol