Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
rccrain,

That's true, but where do you think they get distributed to?

I hardly ever encountered drugs and/or druggies in Atlanta. It may be where all the drugs are routed through, but it doesn't mean you see drugs overtaking any parts of the city. Meanwhile, it's almost impossible to live in the Tri-Cities and not know several people who are/have struggled with drug addiction.

I'm not precisely sure why it's so bad in the Tri. My theory is that it's a combination of being urban enough to attract drugs, but lacking much in the way of professional jobs that most urban centers have. The lack of professional jobs creates a "brain drain" from the region with the most gifted people moving elsewhere. As a result of this, the region ends up with a lot of people who can find no path to life fulfillment and are very unmotivated, so they then turn to drugs. Since the region is so tightly-knit, if one person turns to drugs, if often means they can drag others with them. Over time, the culture in the region sorta reinforces this problem.

It's really sad to me every time I go home or take on the phone with friends and relatives and hear about another person lost in drug addiction. It's so common there.

No clue if my theory has any reality to it. I'm just not sure how else to explain why it's so much worse there than most other places I've been. Other cities I've seen with drug problems seem to have similiar traits (lack of professional jobs, more closely-knit population).
*That* is a very unteresting and intriguing theory, one that someone might think about invesitigating or researching.. I think you might very well be correct in your assumptions. The place to start would be, as you noted, in close-knit communities.

Last edited by SarahSal; 05-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: delet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 AM

35 posts, read 98,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
I
Normally I watch the news and ho hum, but all the cities I've lived in, I've never been this GEOGRAPHICALLY close to murders, like I said, maybe it's just because JC is so small.
I lived in Bergen County NJ (10 miles from Manhattan) all my life and had no idea how horrible the murder rate was in my own county until my best friend got a job at the prosecutors office. She worked with the M.E. and told me that there were at least 30 homicides each month in our own little area.

I feel ok here that my odds are better since there are very few "random" killings or drive by shootings. It is mostly domestic violence.

You are going to have this everywhere you go...and our "news coverage" is at best entertaining on a slow day. When they get a real story they blast the hell out of it.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 AM

383 posts, read 918,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceguazzo View Post

I feel ok here that my odds are better since there are very few "random" killings or drive by shootings. It is mostly domestic violence.

Very few...between the drug killings and domestics, I really haven't seen much, if any, random murders here. Just carry a gun in case you need to get the drop on one of your relatives and you should be fine around here.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
What always gets me is the people that knew the killer. "Oh yeh, Bubba was such a great person. "I can't believe he would every do this".

Just one time I'd like to hear: "Yeh, Bubba was a pretty bad dude ... doesn't surprise me at all."

If someone I know goes off the deep end, I will be honest.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
haha, too true, rccrain. Maybe it's our tendency to talk good about people but I've always wondered the same thing.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
Just carry a gun in case you need to get the drop on one of your relatives and you should be fine around here.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny.....and so true (in some families)

Thanks for the laugh.

Tony

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
Being nicknamed "Bubba" probably contributes to the antisocial behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol