Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Patterson Park - Across the road from TN High, about 3 blocks deep.
Oh, OK. I am never in that immediate area, so I didnt even know it was there. I know where the ballpark is right off of Holston Ave, right down from there.

YES, that area is a very run down area... Hill St. (few blocks north of that park) is a pretty rough neighborhood! I cant think right off of a similiar neighborhood in JC.

BTW, I didnt know that google had updated the entire city of Bristol with the detailed mapping... it used to go to about Weaver Pike and then it got all blurry. Glad they upgraded it. Now one can see downtown Bristol nicely.

AH, I can see the parking lot where I work and my car is setting in my usual parking slot! Neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Wait until Bristol gets street view. You'll see your car like it's sitting right there in front of you.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Re: the Paterson Park neighborhood equivalent in Johnson City, it actually reminded me a lot of Mountain Home.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Wait until Bristol gets street view. You'll see your car like it's sitting right there in front of you.
Oh really?

I found our house on there, but so many trees on the east side and it was taken in the morning. I need to check out Johnson City again too on the new map... thats another good way to compare the cities to the OP... get layouts of the cities.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,928 times
Quote:
Patterson Park - Across the road from TN High, about 3 blocks deep.
Patterson Park??? That's fairly obscure and you certainly wouldn't be "driving by" on the Volunteer Parkway and be able to see it. Also, for clarification purposes, Patterson Park is not close to Tennessee High School--do you mean Anderson Elementary? Would be closer to that. It's definitely not across the road from Tennessee High.

Yeah, Bristol has some "dumpy" parts but really the whole Tri-Cities area is quite junky because its residents are mainly lower middle/working class. I know there are some nicer neighborhoods and some newer economic development (and restoration) in places but generally there is a sad, rundown vibe in so many areas.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 06-18-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Unless google is lying to me (see map), the park is across the Vol Pkwy from Tn High but about 3 blocks deep - at most half a mile away. Is google wrong in this instance?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM

I don't know if Google is wrong. It may, in fact, be half a mile as the crow flies but I'm going to say it is an oversimplification to deem that area as close to Tennessee High based on Google Maps. Those roads/blocks aren't built on a grid and there are intermittant sidewalks (as I recall) and private property/hills in that area. You'd have to make lots of turns to drive and/or walk to that park from THS. I used to run all over that area and think that maybe Jabogitlu saw the Hill Street or Windsor Avenue area. Those residential areas of Holston, 7th Avenue, Vance Drive, Skyline Drive and Indian Hills/Trail are some nicer (and convenient) residential areas in Bristol TN but you can't see any of them from Volunteer Parkway. Most of the good areas of Bristol are off the beaten path. They're definitely not obvious from I-81 or Volunteer Parkway.

Heck, I don't even know why Patterson Park was listed on here as some sort of landmark in Bristol. I grew up there and had no clue where it was (and someone else said the same) but I did recognize it when I saw it on Google Maps. I'm sure few people in Bristol even give Patterson Park a second thought.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM

46 posts, read 131,769 times
We've been visiting the tri city area for the past five years. I think you all have an added bonus, being so close to one another you can find and get the best from Bristol, Kingsport or Johnson City and all the other smaller areas. That's one thing I've enjoyed. We've had bussiness in Bristol but yet we've stayed in Kingsport and Johnson City. Kingsport we went out to dinner at the Chop House and it was fantastic. Johnson City we've gone out to Logans (Chain) and we've gone shopping in both towns. There's a little place in Bristol (forgot the name) but it has the best sandwiches & soup. It's just down the road from the track. Bristol has the best tracks in the country. Not only the circle track but the quarter mile track (Drag Racing) which is awsome. Those races are viewed around the country on ESPN2 "Thunder Valley" I live in the mid west and can't wait to move somewhere in the tri city area, in the mean time we're constantly visiting getting to know the area. I do like the idea of lower taxes, and also will move to an area where there is no city taxes. Where I live we're taxed to death and it's time the govt. (Fed., State, City, County) realize that we have no more money to give them and they need to operate within they're budgets that they have. I also love going down 75 south to the Corbin KY exit and taking 25 South to Morristown on 81. It's BEAUTIFUL and I've enjoyed watching the construction on the road it's amazing to watch. We drove to Ft Myers FL and on the way back went up to Savannah over to Ashville and up to Johnson City. I love the tri city area the entire area, yes there are bad parts in all cities but you all have so much to offer. I think the best thing possible for your area would be not to compete but work to draw more people to your area for vacations. I'm wishing I was there right now. I do enjoy reading all of your post, you have no idea how much help you all are when it comes to getting to know the area. Take care, it does look like your in for bad weather today.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
I used to run all over that area and think that maybe Jabogitlu saw the Hill Street or Windsor Avenue area.
One other thing I'll mention is that I used to run (as a solo female) all through the "projects" of Bristol VA--Rice Terrace and Johnson Court plus the less than stellar areas of Windsor Avenue, Moore Street, Mary Street, etc. and never had one single problem. I never was scared and never hesitated to go out by myself. Would I do it today--yep.

I know this tends to be a relatively anti-Bristol forum and I guess there aren't too many advocates for the town on here but it does have some good aspects. So Bristol's good parts will be left largely unknown and it's perceptions will remain just that.

BTW--Terri, the restaurant you are referring to is Simply Delicious. It's one of my favorites.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Patterson Park??? That's fairly obscure and you certainly wouldn't be "driving by" on the Volunteer Parkway and be able to see it. Also, for clarification purposes, Patterson Park is not close to Tennessee High School--do you mean Anderson Elementary? Would be closer to that. It's definitely not across the road from Tennessee High.
Sigh. I think *you* are the one oversimplifying. I didn't say I drove past Patterson Park and it was the ugliest, meanest, foulest ghetto I've ever seen. I said the AREA AROUND Patterson Park is a DUMP. Yes, that would include Windsor Avenue, and yes, that's across the road from Tennessee High. Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol