Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 PM

80 posts, read 220,033 times

Advertisements

well if the clothing stores on Walnut st, of which there are three of on West Walnut. Not including the Salvation Army which will make it four clothing/fashion stores ect are not "True" fashion stores. Then I guess Johnson City has no fashion stores. Cause I do not count walmart, Target, Sears, Kmart or JC Penny's as having anything close to "Fashion". True fashion is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 AM

80 posts, read 220,033 times
Backdoor Records has reopened on West Walnut Street and I think there is a new restaurant or something at the old Usherys Caferteria location...I think its cuban or jamacian or something

Old 05-30-2010, 06:26 AM

178 posts, read 445,236 times
Joey, the place you are mentioning is Bodega 105 - Latin food....we went there and it was a total train wreck. We're giving them a chance to work out the kinks and will try again in a month or so. I think this is the much awaited Ole Chile reopening. It's the same man (the singer) but the rest of the staff looks new. Also, some of the dishes are identical from the Ole Chile menu, and it's the same font, layout, etc. Just revamped a bit. Meanwhile, we suggest The Dining Room in Jonesborough for the best authentic Cuban food in the area.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 AM

7,543 posts, read 17,267,329 times
Bodega 105, is this at the corner of South Roan and Maple (or maybe Pine)? I wondered what that was. Thanks for the tip, we'll try it in a few weeks.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,195,701 times
Hopefully the new hiking trail/path from ETSU to downtown will help connect these three areas; the college, downtown and W. Walnut.
Have noted this before but I'd love to see trees planted along W. Walnut to make it a more appealing strip. After all, it IS part of the Tree Streets - and the city's foresters have done some wonderful tree planting throughout the city in the last few years. Why not extend their improvements to an original part of the city's streets named for TREES...

Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,267,329 times
To be honest, Walnut is just blighted. How anyone can think that's an attractive part of the city is beyond me. I can't believe with all their studies, JC hasn't done one here. But of course, it's part of the usual 'let's ignore it' mentality... in favor of shiny new medical buildings in North JC.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM

218 posts, read 418,155 times
I couldn't agree more. It is a shame that West Walnut has been so neglected. While there are a few good places along the way, most are not within walking distance of the university. There are way too many old boarded up buildings and it really is not a safe place to walk especially at night. I think the University should scream to the city to make the area more attractive not only to new businesses but to those who live near and in the area. The tree streets home owners should get on the band wagon and clean up West Walnut. Why can't the business owners of Walnut Street get together and go to the City planners.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomegrowninTN View Post
I couldn't agree more. It is a shame that West Walnut has been so neglected. While there are a few good places along the way, most are not within walking distance of the university. There are way too many old boarded up buildings and it really is not a safe place to walk especially at night. I think the University should scream to the city to make the area more attractive not only to new businesses but to those who live near and in the area. The tree streets home owners should get on the band wagon and clean up West Walnut. Why can't the business owners of Walnut Street get together and go to the City planners.
From what I have come to understand, Tree Street residents consider themselves quite separate from W Walnut's more commercial enterprises. I know they worry (have worried in the past) about how new WW businesses might affect their residential property values. There is definitely not a spirit of togetherness and cooperation between these two entities. Much of the Tree Streets residential area has been 'gentrified' but still there remain pockets of blighted houses - so I think the residents closely guard the progress they have made. Too bad, because these two groups working hand-in-hand could accomplish a lot in making the area much more attractive and desirable.

I think lots of people love the idea of living in a place where you can easily walk from your home to restaurants and stores. Just like downtown JC, the entire Tree Streets area has tremendous potential to be like West Asheville which has a similiar combination of residences and commercial!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 PM

218 posts, read 418,155 times
What I love the most about these forums is the insight the contributors have to the problems of our fair cities. Too bad, the city leaders do not take heed and act upon some of the great ideas formed from these discussions. You are right, SarahSal, about the Tree Streets being afraid of WW. My grandmother lived on W. Pine and as kids, we were not allowed to go even to the Shamrock because it was in a "bad" area. Its so sad to see the potential of an area not be realized because of a few. WAKE-UP JOHNSON CITY

Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM

[quote=HomegrowninTN;14464888]What I love the most about these forums is the insight the contributors have to the problems of our fair cities. Too bad, the city leaders do not take heed and act upon some of the great ideas formed from these discussions. You are right, SarahSal, about the Tree Streets being afraid of WW. My grandmother lived on W. Pine andas kids, we were not allowed to go even to the Shamrock because it was in a "bad" area. Its so sad to see the potential of an area not be realized because of a few. WAKE-UP JOHNSON CITY[/quote]

The Shamrock???? (poor you) That little store is surely one of my favorites.. It is a real 'community' store w/ newspapapers, magazines, ice cream, sandwiches and delicious lemonade plus lots more. Actually the area needs MORE of these kinds of establishments.. And it's surely not going to get one with the infusion of more and more corporate entities - just like any other, souless city in the USA. Progressive cities, like Asheville, understand this.

What IS it about this area that folks in power don't - or can't understand and appreciate the unique assets they already have?
To repeat myself for the gazillionth time, JC had a real chance to move progressively forward when Mike West was city manager but this opportunity was squandered when a certain commissioner ran him out of town. West DID understand the incredible power of community. JC lost a real advocate for all its little neighborhoods (including downtown) when West left. He knew that all the new corporate stores brought in tax revenue but he also understood you need those smaller communities to give a city its identity and its soul. One friend (long-time resident) has often said, that's the problem with JC - it lacks a soul..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol