Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 15,505 times

Advertisements

moving to the area in the next month, going to be operating my business possibly in the industrial park on Eddie Williams Rd. Partner checked it out couple days ago he says "it was the ghetto". Now is this just poor housing, decent people, or is this "im going to get shot up on the way to work"? We will probably be working late 7 days a week (ie 10-11pm) plan on keeping the doors locked since we are not open to the public.

Will we be fine or am I overreacting to what he said? I lived in JC about 10 years ago so i know the whereabouts a little, i know unaka and wataugua and west markey all seemed a little run down but i dont know if i ever felt unsafe....

ALso.... Haven at Knob Creek...anyone know anything or hear anything about them persinally? He said they were amazing--i know all apartments look amazing til you get moved in there lol. reviews online looks like 2 people just didnt like the staff or the dogs, seems like a personal preference problem and not really a complaint on teh grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I don't know that road personally. I had to Google Map it. But it's around Pine Grove, the JC Country Club, one of the rougher areas of Johnson City.

I think you'll be fine. So much of the crime in JC is related to drug deals and "inner-circle" violence - ie if you don't know anyone who's doing drug deals, then you're gonna be fine. A few blocks west (Watauga @ Oakland) isn't bad at all so...

The main concern about a business out that way would be petty property damage/theft. However if it's in an industrial park I'd say you'll have very few concerns.

As for Haven @ Knob Creek, much safer area. But I've never been in one, so I can't really say...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
That area is ghetto-ish. It is one of the higher crime areas of JC, but the odds of being targeted by random acts of violence are still low. I would drive through there at 11pm, but I would not want to live there or have to park my car on the street.

The rumor I've heard about the Haven is that they are of poor construction. Also I consider them overpriced - at least at the time I was looking at them. However, they do look awesome, and they are in a great area.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 AM

cool thanks for the input on the commercial building. As far as apartment, thats kind of what i read also...everyone i ask says i can just rent a house for that price (920mo. 2 bedroom) but i cant really find any 'newish' large homes for rent, everythings old and small.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:07 AM

243 posts, read 692,363 times
A friend of mine lives at The Haven with 2 roommates. The apartments are WAY overpriced. I mean they look nice, the grounds are nice, etc. BUT I would have to question the construction. When my friend moved in, they were already experiencing water issues on the grounds and in some apartments. Not too mention the "safety gate" rarely works. And. . . as someone already stated on that website, the staff is, well, less than ideal.

I think there are better apartments out there that are cheaper with great staff, but they may not be brand new construction.

DM me if you would like some suggestions.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM

189 posts, read 566,477 times
I encourage you to check out South Roan Estates. Very nice complex with an owner who seems to be on top of things. 1br-3br.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
everyone i ask says i can just rent a house for that price (920mo. 2 bedroom) but i cant really find any 'newish' large homes for rent, everythings old and small.
$920/mo for 2 br is going to put you on the higher end of things. However FINDING a nicer upscale two bedroom is hard here. Generally those are 3-4 bedrooms which runs $950-$1400. I rent a 2br for $675 in Highland/Mountain Home, but yes it's old and small and near the crack ghetto.

Have you checked out the new, huge apartment complex near Lowe's in North JC? (Someone help me with the name, for god's sake I've forgotten it! Argh!) Those are new, nice, extremely close to lots of stuff (though not so close to your potential business site) and your price range puts you in the possible rent.

Also, I've had lots of friends rent at Sterling Hills. These are technically in Elizabethton, but it's a quick trip down the Milligan Highway to south Johnson City including the Pine Grove neighborhood. They're a bit older but all the ones I've been in are uber-cool (ie loft bedrooms etc).

Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 PM

yeah i used to live in sterling hills when i did live in JC for that year...a one bedroom flat but they were OK. The ones behind lowes are the ones i'm talking about, the haven at knob creek is the name. They want $30 more for a ground floor making it $920.(theres no way im carrying groceries up 4 flights lol) so i guess we'll see! I dont mind if it's a younger crowd--i think that higher price might weed out "families with babies" because i seriously do not want to hear crying and running kids...someone was speaking of thin walls, but we had just spoke with an apt owner in the area who built some new stuff, said there has to be a 1-1.5foot space in the walls for a firewall for them to even be up to code, so that would weed out alot of noise. i would imagine these would have to be that way to pass.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Oh, is that their name? I was thinking about the ones on down, past Mahoney's... I guess those're The Villas at Knob Creek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol