Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 AM

8 posts, read 18,953 times

Advertisements

What is the local Newspaper? Realtors are always afraid to talk about the crime areas, so I am asking YOU.

Please help me to know the Crime Areas to avoid and where is the safest place to live. Want to relocate in Johnson City area or nearby for a single adult. But, see below:

I am a "christian " looking for a christian community to relocate in about a year from now. I am also looking for CDL jobs in private and public sector.

Also need references for :

finding a good church (see my profile), getting some LAND to buy, or quiet rural living (renting a room or shared house or apartment).

finding a good flea market and place to volunteer my time to Elderly people's needs (lonely, hurting ones), and foster car children or helping out at a local school.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for your help. I want to get out of this bumn area where I am living now, 10-4?

DOES IT FLOOD HERE IN Johnson city?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 AM

80 posts, read 219,811 times
I would suggest you need to personally visit the community you move to.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 31,674 times
Default Area Information

The newspaper in Johnson City is called The Johnson City Press, and honestly Johnson City is not a high crime area. But let me make an alternative suggestion to you. I live 20 minutes from Johnson City in a town called Bristol, TN. The local news paper is The Bristol Herald Courier. There is essentially no crime. It's beautiful here. There is a lot to do. You are close to everything.

I go to a wonderful church in Abingdon, VA (about 15 minutes away) called The Servants House that I think you would really feel at home in and love. You can feel christ there, worship in his presence and fellowship with one of the most loving congregations I have ever known.

Between Bristol and Johnson City, there is an amazing flea market (in Piney Flatts) - about 10 minutes from Bristol. And There is also a really good one in Abingdon, VA too.

If in Bristol, you will foster care through Sullivan County DCS. You will need to go through training for 3 months (one night a week) and satisfy a home study and background check. There are a lot of kids in need.

There are many opportunities to volunteer with the elderly here. VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins is a really good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapetionist View Post
What is the local Newspaper? Realtors are always afraid to talk about the crime areas, so I am asking YOU.

Please help me to know the Crime Areas to avoid and where is the safest place to live. Want to relocate in Johnson City area or nearby for a single adult. But, see below:

I am a "christian " looking for a christian community to relocate in about a year from now. I am also looking for CDL jobs in private and public sector.

Also need references for :

finding a good church (see my profile), getting some LAND to buy, or quiet rural living (renting a room or shared house or apartment).

finding a good flea market and place to volunteer my time to Elderly people's needs (lonely, hurting ones), and foster car children or helping out at a local school.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for your help. I want to get out of this bumn area where I am living now, 10-4?

DOES IT FLOOD HERE IN Johnson city?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times
It only floods in Johnson City in west downtown (west of Buffalo St) and in big floods around the area where John Exum/Market Street/University Parkway intersect.

Not sure what a "Christian community" is. Johnson City is relatively big and relatively diverse and accepts all kinds of people. You'll be fine as a Christian, but would also be fine as an atheist, Muslim, or whatever.

The high crime areas are generally limited to the ring around downtown. Avoid Keystone (roughly bounded by Mary Key St, South Broadway, Main/Market and Orleans St), north downtown (the Carver neighborhood & West Holston, West Chilhowie, West 8th and 9th avenues), and for your purposes I'd say avoid Mountain Home as well (Wilson Ave, Hamilton St, Lamont Ave, Highland Ave). There are also some high crime and poverty areas south of ETSU around the edges of the Tree Streets neighborhood and also out Greenwood Drive - Embreeville Road, McKinley Drive etc.

These are all city parcels. If you're looking for rural living, I'd look towards Telford (the Jonesborough Flea Market is out that way), up towards Piney Flats (another HUGE flea market up there), or northwest of Johnson City [what's the name of this area??? I forget!]. South of Johnson City towards Okolona and Erwin is more mountainous but also holds some beautiful property.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
or northwest of Johnson City [what's the name of this area??? I forget!].
Boones Creek?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM

no, more west. out in the real country.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,007 times
Sulphur Springs? Fall Branch?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 18,953 times
Default Thanks for your help cdancy, jabotitlu! Great info....

Wow! A real human answer packed with DETAILED helpful information! Thank you jabogitlu!

Deleted

Sorry, I am blunt and tell it like it is, 10-4?

Thank you cdnancy, for the great information on volunteer work. And thank you for the Church information. I have been to many churches, have found inner peace the "promises" to be fleeting or hard to come by.
Be careful of trusting to easily, even other christians and church community. As a christian, I do believe that finding a good church community is important. Bristol sounds like a great place.

But remember, peace comes by one creating his own peace and being a big in control. Still, thanks EVERYBODY for the information.

Researching about Tennessee is turning up good results. A bit alarmed by the actual flooding in Johnson City. Sounds like a total of about 12 streets and areas in the city can be flooded. Thats not great. So, about 15% of city can be flooded. But usually, according to my research, the area doesn't flood that much as compared to Nashville or Western or Middle Tennessee...yet.

Now to find job.... Sorry, I love facial icons.

Last edited by Beretta; 05-05-2010 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Sulphur Springs? Fall Branch?

Fall Branch. That's what I was thinking of.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,482 times
As far as hotels, I always suggest the AmericInn in Jonesborough to my out of town clients, and have always heard good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol