Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 AM

68 posts, read 251,253 times

Advertisements

New person to this forum . My Wife and I want to visit the area , sometime this Summer . We will be looking at possibly re-locating to this area from Florida . A couple of quick questions . We want to know , if the area around the Best Western in Johnson City is a safe , or good area of town . Interested in looking for rental place , apartments or home . Will we find a good place , for between $400 to $600 a month .Want to rent first. We will be looking for a place to live permantly , someplace , with at least an acre of land and sort of rural setting . Like fishing and gardening , that is what caught My interest in this area of Tenessee .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Hello, Welcome it City-Data Forum!
Yes, the area around the Best Western is safe however, it is a tough place to get out of road wise. We only have a few places that bother me traffic wise, but I honestly do not like that ramp system on and off 26 right there at Roan St and that is right about where the entrance to the Best Western is. I will suggest that you always go right out of the parking lot and turn around down the road at the car dealership, do not make a left turn out of there. Other than that, it does seem like a nice place to stay.
Not sure if you will find much to rent in the $400 range, but as you get closer to the $600 range you should be ok. Keep an eye on the newspapers. No NOT use the rental agency in JC that charges you a $50 fee for them to look for you, that is a scam. unfortunately, I don't know of any other agencies in JC but I do know of one in Kingsport that has several rentals that are good honest people. They might have a few in JC. PM me if you want their contact info.
When are you planning your trip for?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Thank You mbmouse . We will be there towards the end of July or early August . Have our house for sale in Florida now . Waiting for it to sell. Market is slow here , as everywhere . I have been looking on this site for a couple of weeks and decided to start using it . Been reading your posts and have gotten lot's of valuable info from them . I have seen some apartments around KingsPort that looked nice , at least from the websites. Looking forward to visiting the area .

Old 05-24-2007, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Best Western is in an excellent part of town. Very central location & convenient access to I-26.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

I'm a lifelong resident of Johnson City.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 AM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times
I agree with Pdwalker, I think Best Western is a good choice, too, as a base for your explorations of the area.

As far as cost of housing, people seem to assume that things are dirt-cheap here, but they're not. I hope you won't be disappointed. I noticed that there were several 'for sale by owner' homes for sale on 91N, out past Elizabethton. And that's more rural than Johnson City, too, yet, very close by.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Thanks GrannyLois . I know that the homes and rent are not dirt-cheap in Tri-City area . Have to laugh , because looking in the ads in the newspapers , the prices and taxes and insurance is way cheaper, then what they are in Florida . What I have seen here and on the webpages , Elizabethton looks like an ideal place . I know , We have to come and see for ourselves . Pictures always look great .

Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 PM

22 posts, read 69,258 times
I stayed at the best western in february. It was fine. Getting in and out of the parking lot was a little hairy but could be done with some caution. As to taxes. I looked at house in Washington county with taxes that were $1200 a year. The real estate agent asked me if they we too high as they had just gone up a bit. I took the listing from her and added a zero to the end and told her that what I pay now. She was quite taken aback.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Sounds good jm17 . The wife and I will be there around the first of September. We were going to come to the Tri-city area in August , but figured it would be busy with the races in Bristol . mbmouse want to thank you on all of your posts and pictures of the area . We have subscribed to the newspaper , and seen some places to rent , that looks good . Wow just need to get this place in Florida sold . Will update after we get to Tennessee .

Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Glad I could help.
A note on the Taxes, that $1200 tax bill was City and County taxes combined. Drive 10 minutes in any direction and you will be in the county and cut that tax bill almost in half!
Yea, compared to FL taxes, it is peanuts here. But it is what you are used to, lots of folks here don't want taxes going up, to them they are high as they are higher than they were 10-15 years ago. Good news is it seems to me they have put that tax money to good use in the past. IE: making main roads multi lained even though they aren't realy busy at the time and set up for more stop lights if needed. Building more schools before the current ones get over crowded. I have no problems paying taxes but when I paid them in FL, seemed like I received no services in return, I feel like I get my moneys worth here.

Last edited by mbmouse; 06-29-2007 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs up taxes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm17 View Post
I stayed at the best western in february. It was fine. Getting in and out of the parking lot was a little hairy but could be done with some caution. As to taxes. I looked at house in Washington county with taxes that were $1200 a year. The real estate agent asked me if they we too high as they had just gone up a bit. I took the listing from her and added a zero to the end and told her that what I pay now. She was quite taken aback.
The property taxes here are great. Coming from Florida you will see the difference. We saved $1,000.00 on car insurance also. I am in Johnson City; good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol