Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,378 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Johnson City, TN area in the near future. Having lived previously in an area that had many illegal immigrants, we do not wish to end up in the same type of area. Any information would be very helpful.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM

433 posts, read 532,780 times
Kirt:
I shared your concern when I looked into moving to the Bristol area. Some of the nearby towns have significant numbers of Hispanics. According to the info on City-data there is 1.9 percent of the population in Johnson city that is of Hispanic origin. I would suggest that you make a trip to the area before making any decision.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Check any city's website to check who the major employers are in that city you are considering.

Illegals don't move to an area based on scenery.

-------meat packing plant---------poulry processing plant-------textile mills-------

check for them if you are concerned about illegals.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Not a problem. The only town with large amounts of Latinos is Morristown.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
The only place that I encounter large numbers of Mexicans is if I have to go to Walmart late at night (they must share rides?). I haven't carded them, but I suspect many are illegal. I don't think the area has a huge problem with illegals though. Further, the one's that are here don't seem to cause much trouble.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

Yup, and the website of Morristown lists the largest industrial employer as a----poultry processing plant--- employing 880.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
We do have quite a large Spanish speaking population, enough that several local churches have services in Spanish every week, mine being one of them. However I would say 90%-95% of those are here legally. I have also noticed within that group that they try very hard to learn and speak English, which I personally appreciate.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
That might be a liberal estimate, but our overall Latino population is small enough to avoid problems.

Northeast Tennessee makes a lot of effort to its Latino population, spurred mostly by ETSU's Language and Cultural Resource Center and like MB said, area churches. We all get along very nicely here.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM

284 posts, read 759,367 times
It's not as large as W. NC., due to the farming opportunities over there. I've worked in Texas with a lot of Mexicans from Mexico City and Guadalajara, and I will say that most of the immigrants we see around here are border Mexicans, where the poverty is most intense. Until about ten years ago, you would rarely see Hispanic people out and about in JC, but that has changed. I certainly have no problem with that, as the majority of my friends are Hispanic. But compared to cities with a large population of immigrants, the Tri-Cities will certainly appear very non-Hispanic.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
We are considering a move to the Johnson City, TN area in the near future. Having lived previously in an area that had many illegal immigrants, we do not wish to end up in the same type of area. Any information would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Above, the OP is asking if Johnson City has an illegal immigrant problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
Kirt:
I shared your concern when I looked into moving to the Bristol area. Some of the nearby towns have significant numbers of Hispanics. According to the info on City-data there is 1.9 percent of the population in Johnson city that is of Hispanic origin. I would suggest that you make a trip to the area before making any decision.
Good advice in the last sentence there, but what do Hispanics have to do with illegal immigrants? Last I checked, they weren't one and the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The conversation degenerates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
The only place that I encounter large numbers of Mexicans is if I have to go to Walmart late at night (they must share rides?). I haven't carded them, but I suspect many are illegal. I don't think the area has a huge problem with illegals though. Further, the one's that are here don't seem to cause much trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
We do have quite a large Spanish speaking population, enough that several local churches have services in Spanish every week, mine being one of them. However I would say 90%-95% of those are here legally. I have also noticed within that group that they try very hard to learn and speak English, which I personally appreciate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
It's not as large as W. NC., due to the farming opportunities over there. I've worked in Texas with a lot of Mexicans from Mexico City and Guadalajara, and I will say that most of the immigrants we see around here are border Mexicans, where the poverty is most intense. Until about ten years ago, you would rarely see Hispanic people out and about in JC, but that has changed. I certainly have no problem with that, as the majority of my friends are Hispanic. But compared to cities with a large population of immigrants, the Tri-Cities will certainly appear very non-Hispanic.
Well, some of you touched on the OP's question, but seemingly many of you answered the not-asked "Are there Hispanics, Latinos, or Mexicans in Johnson City?" question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol