Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 06:04 AM

31 posts, read 78,335 times

Advertisements

I have frequented the city data forums for many different cities for quite awhile now. We have finally narrowed our choices down to three cities. We plan to take a trip down to visit all the areas in August. Here are my questions:

1. What areas should we look in for housing with a top budget of 190,000? We would love to spend less if possible (wouldn't everyone!). We are looking for 3 bedrooms, house or townhouse at this point. Our old house was 1850 sq ft and seemed to be a good size for us. We currently have sold our house and are in a 1200 sq ft townhouse in anticipation of our move next Spring. We love some of the freedoms that come with a townhouse but need a little more space. We love that we are close to restaurants and shopping plazas to walk to them. We do have one child that we currently plan on homeschooling to start off with but we would like to be an area with good schools as we may not always homeschool. Anything I left out?

2. We were also wondering what locals think of Dollywood. Do many people get season passes? We love Disney and go a couple times a year. We are wondering if this will be a place we will frequent if we decide on moving to the Knoxville area.

3. What are the Children Museums like? Are the two local ones worth a stop on our visit? We currently go to the Children's Museum in our area on a regular basis.

That is all I can think of now. Thank your for taking the time to answer my questions!

4. Any good hotel recommendations that will allow us easy access to surrounding areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:43 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,327,589 times
You should have no problem finding a townhouse within your budget. Spend some time driving around and get a feel for the area,then look for places there. Hook up with a Realtor and they can give you a much better idea.

We used to get season passes to Dollywood, then stopped when kids get old enough to not want Mom and dad hanging around. My daughter still gets a season pass and goes a lot, sometimes for just a short time.

There are so many hotel options, it really depends on what area you want to stay to make a home base. My daughter works at a hotel in the Cedar Bluff area. Send me a DM and I will give you the details (she might be able to work a deal for you).

Its been so long since I have been to the children's museum, I am no help.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,348,954 times
In that price range, there are lots of areas that will be open to you. Knoxville is a very affordable city and although that price won't get you a mansion it will buy you a very nice home in almost any area.

The school system is Knox County and it is very good. Same curriculum wherever your child goes. I agree that buying near a good school is a wise decision, even if you don't have children. The best strategy is to look at homes that you like and then check local school ratings.

I've lived in Florida, including Orlando, and have been to Disney World numerous times, including when they first opened. Dollywood is not Disney World. It also is not Six Flags or their equivalents. Dollywood is different than all of those. There are rides, and very nice ones at that, but there is also a big emphasis on shows. It is also very, very pretty, with beautiful landscaping. I think it is either something that you really like or not. But if you are looking for Disney or Six Flags you will be disappointed.

We have a 10 year old and have lived here five years. Generally, we have bought season passes every other year. It wasn't intentional, but some years we had more time to visit than others. This year, we are starting a business and don't have the time. But we will probably buy tickets next season. Last year, we bought the passes that included the water park. I probably won't do that again. It is beautiful, but I am just not a water park kind of gal!

I think for the locals it is a very good deal to get season passes. It is a nice park and although we have been there about 10 times it doesn't get old. It is clean, well-run and the staff is friendly. She is also continually expanding and improving the park.

I have never been to the children's museums. My daughter has, though, for field trips. She says that she enjoyed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: