Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM

187 posts, read 460,478 times

Advertisements

The only areas to avoid in North Charlotte would be Hidden Valley and about a 2-3 mile stretch of North Tryon Street....Sunset Rd and Statesville Rd also in North Charlotte can be kinda iffy at times too,But other than Dennys theres no reason to even go on those roads...NE Charlotte would be the Univ area wouldn't it? Not really sure what NE Charlotte is counted as to you...But the Univ Area around Harris Blvd and Mallard Creek on into Concord are all pretty good areas

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
Yeah no problem...If you pick Charlotte...Just stay out of the East and West ends....90% of the crime in Charlotte happens in those two areas...Not even joking...South Park and the Univ. area along Harris Blvd would be the two safest areas,But the Univ area is overran with college students too and is more prone to break in's cause after all it is mostly college students,But i do love the Univ area tho...Theres a Boardwalk area there with a man made lake surrounded by shops and Billys on the Boardwalk is def a must to eat at if you're ever in the area

That sounds nice though. What kinda food do they serve?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM

187 posts, read 460,478 times
Welcome to

Check em out...Its a little bit of everything

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
Welcome to

Check em out...Its a little bit of everything

Thats for sure

Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM

160 posts, read 355,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
Check out the USA News and World Report smokestack report. The air around the Vonore Elementary school was rated in the top 1% worst in the US. The report used data that was a few years old, and they are telling us now the air isn't that bad. But, even if it got 50% better, would that be enough?
I don't even research the water.. other than we are told that mercury levels in Tellico Lake are too high to eat the catfish (which are bottom feeders) But what do we tell our kids who swim in the lake, don't dive down that far??
The EPA also checked out the acreolin levels here in Loudon. They are 48% higher than the national average. We are told it is from the trucks on the Interstate, but why are the levels so high in some places and not in others? Interstates run all over the country.. why are the levels so bad here?
Just look at the smokestacks puffing away. Even when I am up in Turkey Creek, I can smell the stench some days from Tate and Lyle in Loudon. For those who don't recognize the smell, it smells like sweet potatoes. We were told it's just a smell, not a pollutant. But who wants to smell that stuff.. and who is to say it's just a smell and not toxic??
We were also told that Loudon County's cancer risk is just 2 cases per million over the average.. what does that tell you about the rest of the region? You guys are not much better off than the rest of us here in Tellico Village! EASTERN TENNESSEE DOES NOT MEET EPA STANDARDS.. THAT MEANS KNOX COUNTY TOO.
Anyway, there are many reports on the internet you can all pull up about the air. It's depressing. I don't even pull them up anymore, I've seen enough. Anyone who might want more information about air quality can contact Mike Cosby of the Breathe Clean Air Action Team (BCAAT) He was recently quoted in the News Herald that ozone and small particulates are what we need to be most concerned about in East Tennessee.
Why should we be concerned about anything? This is truly a beautiful place to live, the pace is great, the people are friendly and the cost of living good. But, we also do not have vehicle inspections..(note the black smoke bellowing out of many vehicles.. not to mention the trucks. We let our factories pollute /coal, etc.. and our geography naturally traps the toxic stuff in.)
As I said, I interface with the disabled on a daily basis.. and it's one cancer case after another, from Lenoir City up to Gatlinberg and Pigeon Forge. It's all over this area..not just Loudon county.
I go on this site often and I am amazed about how much people love this area.. but, I'm not quite sure how informed people really are of this issue.
I've spoken to a representative of Tennessee EPA, Tate and Lyle and my congressperson. There doesn't seem to be much that can done to dramatically improve things in the near future, maybe sometime in the years ahead. We've decided not to wait that long. Now it's just a matter of finding a place like East Tennessee where we can breathe a bit better.
You just made my decision about moving to TN. There are plenty of beautiful places in the US where we don't have to comprimise our health. Any cancer is a terrible disease to deal with. I'll not chance it. I'll look somewhere else.

Thank you

Old 08-24-2010, 07:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
You just made my decision about moving to TN. There are plenty of beautiful places in the US where we don't have to comprimise our health. Any cancer is a terrible disease to deal with. I'll not chance it. I'll look somewhere else.

Thank you
Yes, probably a good idea since we all have cancer, or will eventually have it, according to Ms. JerseyFAN.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Yes, probably a good idea since we all have cancer, or will eventually have it, according to Ms. JerseyFAN.
Well, at least some people understand the stats and will be able to use them.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 AM

I don't mean to stir up trouble on this forum and I might also add that several of you have been very kind and patient in answering my 100 questions. Last night some of you got on the subject of pollution in TN. I'm not taking sides with anyone, I just want to know the truth and see some facts in writing.

So, this morning I looked up under the AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION and some EPA reports regarding pollution in the US. Here is what I found:

MOST POLLUTED CITIES: according to the AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION
Charlotte, Gastonia, Salisbury, NC rank as #9 for Ozone with Knoxville, Sevierville, LaFollette, TN ranking as #14

BY YEAR ROUND PARTICLE POLLUTION: out of #25 Knoxville, Sevierville, La Follette, TN ranked as #21 N. C was not on there at all. Nothing on any for Virgina except northern VA

TENNEESSEE EPA FINDING REPORT CARD AS OF YR 2010:

HIGH OZONE DAYS: Anderson, Blount, Knox, Loudon Sevier, counties all received an F for a grade

PARTICLE POLLUTION Blount county received a D; Knox county received an F ; Loudon county rececid a C,; MCMINN county a C; Putnam county a B; Anderson, Hamblen, Jefferson, Meigs, Sevier, counties appear to have no monitor collecting data in the county

ORANGE DAYS: Blount county 7; Hamilton 9; Knox 16; Loudon 5; McMinn 5

Anderson, Hamblen, Jefferson, Meigs, Sevier counties have no monitor collecting data in the county

This is my personal conclusion about the above data; I feel that I should continue to look around a little more. I also feel that the state of TN should do more for it's people regarding pollution.

Thanks very much to all of you once again, but I can't see myslef living in TN.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I thought you weren't moving due to the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
Thanks very much to all of you once again, but I can't see myslef living in TN.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM

hik, I don't recall saying that. It will costs me to move no matter which place I choose. I lived near TN since 1993 and very much like the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville