Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM

186 posts, read 486,055 times

Advertisements

After reading this thread, I had to check my calendar to make sure I was still living in the year 2010, not 1900. This topic surprised me, because nobody ever talks about a feminist movement anymore. I had thought it died out by the late 1970's.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM

191 posts, read 308,350 times
Dave1961 never fear. We '60's feminists are still around, but now we have daughters - and sons.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 31,670 times
Hey, sorry for not being clearer. By safe I just meant without being shunned -- yes. And safe places don't have to be exclusively women...it just means people are aware of their societal privileges in relation to others and they're openminded and listen to other people. Not all feminist places are safe places!

Thanks for the UU link too...I will definitely be looking into that.
Reading about the Knoxville Human Rights group right now...

Thank you for the resources

(And Geranium is right of course...)

Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

208 posts, read 507,503 times
Hi Weaselmouse,
I wish more female activists like you would stand up and fight for the right to life of female babies killed in abortions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselmouse View Post
Hey, sorry for not being clearer. By safe I just meant without being shunned -- yes. And safe places don't have to be exclusively women...it just means people are aware of their societal privileges in relation to others and they're openminded and listen to other people. Not all feminist places are safe places!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
After reading this thread, I had to check my calendar to make sure I was still living in the year 2010, not 1900. This topic surprised me, because nobody ever talks about a feminist movement anymore. I had thought it died out by the late 1970's.
Dave as a real live trailblazer from the era of the feminist movement I pretty much thought the need for the actual 'movement' was over and done with as well, but it really was still around in the 80's. Everything I did back in the 60s and 70s was either alone or part of a small group of women, and I always had to be better, smarter or work twice as much (as did my siblings who also broke glass ceilings in their fields). The idea of needing "safe" places these days just seemed so strange after living through all that, so that is why I asked if maybe this was code speak for something. Women born after that time really have no clue what it was like then but I never felt a need for a safe place even then. Knoxville seems like a pretty low key and friendly town so I feel doubly bemused by the whole topic.

Quote:

I'm apparently very thick because I still haven't a clue what you are trying to say. I certainly understand shunning as a term used in religious groups, like the Amish, but I still have no idea who or what is the bogey man here. Who is frightening and why? Who or what group is shunning whom? What are societal privileges? This whole topic has me genuinely puzzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
Hi Weaselmouse,
I wish more female activists like you would stand up and fight for the right to life of female babies killed in abortions.

Oh please!! All babies are precious and to select one group/sex to make this kind of statement sickens me! This is not the political or religious forums and is really veering off course. The original post at least related to this forum by asking for resources in and around Knoxville.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 AM

15 posts, read 31,670 times
If mods could close this thread now, that would be great.

Anyone who has a group of friends who volunteers and has more resources for me, PM! Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
If mods could close this thread now, that would be great.

Anyone who has a group of friends who volunteers and has more resources for me, PM! Thanks!
Per the OP's request, this thread is closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville