Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 AM

66 posts, read 153,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Property tax around here is low and we get a great bang for our buck. Out in the country, the crime is extremely low. Most people are very nice. Fortunately, due to the Great Depression, FDR's make-work projects centered on the Tennessee Valley where numerous dams were built. Not only does it protect us from flooding but it created The Tennessee Valley Authority which affords us very low electrical rates. Unlike Nashville, or even places like Cookeville, we don't get flooding like that.
That's comforting to know. After watching my father's house sink into the rising waters (brick home, not a house boat or anything of the kind) I've always been a little worried about flood damage. I've even gone so far as to research and source automatic water shutoff valves. They install on the water main coming into the house and have attached sensors in flood prone areas (basements, near the water heater, etc). In the event of a broken pipe, the valve automatically shuts off water to the entire house.

Cheap electricity is also good. I tend to use a fair bit of electricity from day to day, so getting it cheaply is always a bonus.

There is one thing I'm curious about, though. No matter where I've lived, I've always been able to find or stumble across some of the best small restaurants in creation. Little truck stops, roadside diners, cafes and mom & pop places are what I'm referring to, not chains (though some chains are excellent). How is the Knoxville area fixed for excellent roadside diners and the like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,387,349 times
Definitely. Off the top of my head, Wright's Cafeteria has excellent southern food. Everyone who is anyone goes there. Bill Haslam, our mayor, eats there on a regular basis, but also has hit the place more than a couple of times while campaigning for governor. Good homestyle food.

M&M Catering is great whole-in-the-wall BBQ joint. Time-Out Deli (the ones in north Knoxville and Kingston Pike) have very good gyros. Long's Pharmacy in Bearden doesn't have the best food but it is the place for that neck of the woods. It is an old money institution.

And the list goes on and on. We do have a lot of chains and I was intimidated by that, at first; even coming from Florida. But I quickly learned that we have "diners" like I grew up with, although they don't look like the metal box I am use to. There are lots of good mom and pop restaurants throughout the area. You won't starve.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 AM

66 posts, read 153,240 times
While I'm thinking about it, are there any areas that I should be aware of where broadband services aren't available? I'm specifically talking about either U-Verse or Comcast, because satellite internet is a joke. I tried it once and it was a constant nightmare.

I have to have my fast internet connection, though.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
While I'm thinking about it, are there any areas that I should be aware of where broadband services aren't available? I'm specifically talking about either U-Verse or Comcast, because satellite internet is a joke. I tried it once and it was a constant nightmare.

I use to work for Comcast. As far as I know they are in all of Knox County and most of Oak Ridge and Clinton, some of LaFollette. Hmmm. They are not everywhere. Blount County has Charter, as does Farragut. Farragut has Embarq, too, though. Where I live I have the option of Knology, U-Verse and Comcast, but I am in the city limits. It looks more like a heavily-wooded suburb with large lots, though. A lot of Knoxville is like that.

When you start looking at property you can plug the address into the Comcast website and it will tell you if it is available.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 AM

38 posts, read 70,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post

I'm just looking into the area too and what I have found so far is that depending on where you are in the area it seems that there is comcast, charter, and/or knology for cable and at&t or TDS for phone co's.
You have to check the address you will be moving to to know for sure.

This was just a quick cursory look though and some of that info could possibly be outdated from one of those connectmycable sites. Neither cable co seems to be upgraded to DOCSIS 3 yet, but you can still get good speeds...just not 50mbps...yet. I would try to stick with cable if speed is your main desire though.
Phone is very distance limited...espec. Uverse and that is if they "fixed" your neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 AM

In Knox County, the highest speed Comcast offers is 16 Megs, plus power boost for downloads. That's fast enough for most applications. I use their normal speed, which is 12 Megs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbutter View Post
I'm just looking into the area too and what I have found so far is that depending on where you are in the area it seems that there is comcast, charter, and/or knology for cable and at&t or TDS for phone co's.
You have to check the address you will be moving to to know for sure.

This was just a quick cursory look though and some of that info could possibly be outdated from one of those connectmycable sites. Neither cable co seems to be upgraded to DOCSIS 3 yet, but you can still get good speeds...just not 50mbps...yet. I would try to stick with cable if speed is your main desire though.
Phone is very distance limited...espec. Uverse and that is if they "fixed" your neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
In Knox County, the highest speed Comcast offers is 16 Megs, plus power boost for downloads. That's fast enough for most applications. I use their normal speed, which is 12 Megs.
Yep. That is standard for the areas not yet upgraded.
When they do upgrade you can see speeds even higher although you will need to get a new docsis3 modem to see more than low 30's down and that is best conditions. I still have a docsis 2 modem in an upgraded area and get low 30's down and 10mbps upload.
When they do upgrade though there will be a loss of analog tv channels and you will need a box for each and every tv just like dish.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM

345 posts, read 924,555 times
I know Sevier County has both, Comcast and Charter. We live in Kodak and have Comcast; my in-law's live in Sevierville and have Charter.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbutter View Post
Yep. That is standard for the areas not yet upgraded.
When they do upgrade you can see speeds even higher although you will need to get a new docsis3 modem to see more than low 30's down and that is best conditions. I still have a docsis 2 modem in an upgraded area and get low 30's down and 10mbps upload.
When they do upgrade though there will be a loss of analog tv channels and you will need a box for each and every tv just like dish.
I know that Docsis 3.0 is around the corner. However, digital conversion was mandated by the fed last year. It's already happened.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I know that Docsis 3.0 is around the corner. However, digital conversion was mandated by the fed last year. It's already happened.
That was for OTA broadcast only. A closed system such as a cable system is can do whatever they want. The reason for switching from analog and digi (simulcast) to digi only is to free up bandwidth on the system. Do you have the DTA's there already?

Good to hear it is on the way soon. It should be since the majority of the country is already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville