Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,866,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
2nd? I think it is safe to say that Tennessee ranked 5th nationally for last year... and third in 2008.

DEA, Maps of Methamphetamine Lab Incidents (http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/map_lab_seizures.html - broken link)

I have just read this thread. I find it hard to believe that Oak Ridge would have problem with meth.. I mean OR has a lot of residents that had college education. OR isn't really out of place like Sunbright, Wartburg, Olive Spring, Lake City, Norris, etc.

Read WBIR.com and the OakRidger.com they are the ones constantly talking about meth labs in Oak Ridge and Anderson Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,567,351 times
Ok, I think that the OP's questions have been answered and if not there are plenty of threads to search using Advanced Search.

As for meth, there is definitely meth in Anderson county. And there is meth EVERYWHERE. Not just East TN but really, Meth is everywhere. There is Meth in Knox Co, Blount County, Campbell County, Loudon County, etc. You get the drift. Does that mean that everyone should flee those areas and carry an AK-47 everywhere? Heck, I hope not. I will have to upgrade my Beretta

Future posts focused on Meth alone will be deleted and infractions for off topic will be issued.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM

66 posts, read 153,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Ok, I think that the OP's questions have been answered and if not there are plenty of threads to search using Advanced Search.
Pretty much, aye. Questions answered, evil plans made. Now I'm just in a holding pattern (and gathering more information while I wait).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Does that mean that everyone should flee those areas and carry an AK-47 everywhere? Heck, I hope not. I will have to upgrade my Beretta
Pfft. AKs are horrible. Get something that doesn't wander off target after the first round goes down-range.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,815,500 times
As Ashrael seems to have demonstrated with his/her answer problems with Meth or any substance abuse and related crimes exist everywhere in this country. The maps used are deceptive because some states have active seek out and prevent programs (TN has one) and others do not. Those that don't will have lower seizure rates not necessarily lower numbers of Meth labs. Tennessee, unfortunately, also has fairly large swaths of towns where poverty and lack of meaningful employment has lead to increased drug related crime.

OR is no different than many small American towns with a fairly large rural area outside of the immediate "downtown" but the fact that it has such a high level of educated population and schools rated consistently high in achievement says more than sensational reporting ever will. Reading local news only tends to distort ones sense of danger to the point of sounding like Chicken Little.

Ashrael I think you will find your original criteria met in any number of the towns around Knoxville as well as many of the communities that make up metro Knoxville. You've demonstrated an understanding of how to meet real world challenges without playing the victim card as some consistently do on these threads. I'd be willing to bet you'll find many friendly people where ever you settle in. I've met lots of helpful friendly people since moving here and have never in any way felt threatened by unsavory characters. For someone who has served their country (thank you btw) you'll see it is a far cry from a war zone.

Since each community will have pluses and minuses that tend to reflect on our own individual experiences and needs, and those can't always be expressed as hard values, I am sure you'll have to visit all of the possibilities in person at some point to find your "just right" spot. I can easily recommend southern Maryville as having just about everything on your list, including a good sized contingent of muscle car (and other) restoration buffs -with a weekly meet up at the local mall on Friday evenings. Drop in with new requirements as they develop and I'm sure we can help narrow down your area to search when you are ready to come look.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

At this point my plan is to:

(a) wait for my finances to be ironed out completely and finally (may require a trip to court, might not)
(b) contact a real estate agent in the area and give them my list of wants/needs/deal killers (probably someone like hiknapster, if she's not available)
(c) schedule a trip to the Knoxville area and surroundings for a week or so, get the hotel reservations, and spend the time in the area visiting communities and looking at houses
(d) put in an offer on whatever tickles my fancy the most
(e) wait for the phone call, then finalize the deal and start picking out furniture!

(f) redesign the kitchen so *I* can use it - wall ovens and the like - ugh to stooping and bending

Old 09-24-2010, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,512 times
WOW all this talk of taxes and schools and everything else, haha...We just moved here in June from Florida. We moved to west Knoxville based on the recommendation from my husbands new boss. He suggested either west Knoxville or Farragut. We decided to lease for at least the first year, since we have small children we didn't want to make the wrong decision on where we are living. So far since June....I am really pleased wth the house we picked and am really happy we have the option to buy it (which is our plan) as for everything else....I'm finding it very difficult to meet people and make friends maybe its because we are still so new to the area. Also I find a lot of the "extra" activites for kids are expensive although there is a lot of stuff the offer for families to do....as for the schools the education is outstanding but the technology could definately use some updating. Over all I love living here its local to everything you can possibly want or need and lets be honest no one can have it all so all of my opinions being said I recommend the west Knoxville area

Old 09-25-2010, 05:47 AM

Taxes, schools, bad neighbors, restaurants, insurance rates, weaponry and classic automobiles. Did I miss anything?

That's a valid concern, though, and one I share. Since I can't/don't get out too much, meeting new friends might be an issue. I'll just have to fire up the BBQ and see who the smell attracts, I guess.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,397,791 times
When we bought our house we had a steady stream of people that stopped by and wished us well for the first two weeks. I live in a neighborhood where they are mostly elderly but we have still made friends.

It really depends on the neighborhood and the person, though. I know someone from Maryland that was on our forum that made an incredible amount of friends but she started up a forum for Knoxville moms.

The area is really friendly - your neighborhood is almost always going to be friendly - but it also depends on you. Tigger, in your case I think you are going through the typical "newness" of relocation. We all feel like we haven't made friends when we first move. I find the fees for activities is very low, compared to Florida, which were astronomical. Give it a chance. If you love your surroundings it shines through. People are attracted to that kind of karma.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,723,864 times

Old 09-25-2010, 03:07 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,815,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post

One of the most brief responses I've ever seen. Wish I could be so succinct!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville