Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,397,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbutter View Post
That was for OTA broadcast only. A closed system such as a cable system is can do whatever they want. The reason for switching from analog and digi (simulcast) to digi only is to free up bandwidth on the system. Do you have the DTA's there already?

Good to hear it is on the way soon. It should be since the majority of the country is already done.
I understand. I worked in the industry for many years but changed career paths last year. This will give you more information. Comcast: What is the World of More!

Either way, there are lots of options in Knox County.

Yes, Mrs. Mopar, in Sevier County the area is split. Some of Blount is like that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,866,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post

I refuse to live in a war zone, mostly because I just cannot get along with crack heads and meth dealers. R
I would suggest you mark Oak Ridge and Union Co. off your list.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 AM

66 posts, read 153,283 times
re: Oak Ridge and Union County, Will do. What's the deal with Oak Ridge, though? I mean, certain areas are obvious (like places with lots of cheap, rundown motels that charge weekly rates, or areas where there are a LOT of vacant or abandoned properties), but I'm not familiar enough with Oak Ridge to know what kind of problems they might have.

re: DOCSIS and cable, a lot of areas of the country still aren't upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 yet. I was having a discussion with someone just last weekend about that very topic. It's coming, but it's going to take a few years to get to that point.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 AM

About half of Knoxville already has Docsis 3.0, including Fountain City, where I live. They just haven't made it to my neighborhood, yet. So when I wrote "around the corner," I really meant it.

Oak Ridge has a lot of scientists and folks in related fields so there are a lot of transplants and good schools. The biggest reason that we didn't settle there is because there are no older homes with character and at the time that is what I wanted. And after living in Florida I was trying to get a break from transplants. Not that there is anything wrong with them - I'm one. But the area in Florida that we came from was very transient and with that comes some challenges.

However, there are a lot of happy people in Oak Ridge. We can't, and shouldn't, all like the same things.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 AM

Hahaha. I used to hang out with scientists when I lived in New Mexico, and later in Maryland (I have to say, leave it to a chemist with a background in applied physics to come up with an interesting way to light a BBQ grill ... nuff said). I love people like that.

I can only assume that mtneer must have meant that the apartments in Oak Ridge were a bit of a war zone. I've noticed some people complaining about crime near income-limited housing in that area. I'm not looking to rent, and I'd love a home with a more modern feel or look to it, so that might not be an issue for me.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM

851 posts, read 2,462,730 times
Quote:
Hahaha. I used to hang out with scientists when I lived in New Mexico, and later in Maryland (I have to say, leave it to a chemist with a background in applied physics to come up with an interesting way to light a BBQ grill ... nuff said). I love people like that.

I can only assume that mtneer must have meant that the apartments in Oak Ridge were a bit of a war zone. I've noticed some people complaining about crime near income-limited housing in that area. I'm not looking to rent, and I'd love a home with a more modern feel or look to it, so that might not be an issue for me.

When it comes to "income-limited" housing. No matter where you live, there are always a lot of issues around those apartments or houses. The ones here as well ( drugs, shootings, rapes, theft, etc...). You definatly want to stay away from that!
Good luck in your search.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM

I suspect that hiknapster is a font of untapped information about the area. At some point I shall attempt to bribe her into revealing more information about the Knoxville area (and surrounding) so I can narrow my search. All that remains is to get the funding released (must call the lawyers again!) and figure out the most appropriate type of bribe (beer, chocolates, etc).

Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 AM

851 posts, read 2,462,730 times
Quote:
I suspect that hiknapster is a font of untapped information about the area. At some point I shall attempt to bribe her into revealing more information about the Knoxville area (and surrounding) so I can narrow my search. All that remains is to get the funding released (must call the lawyers again!) and figure out the most appropriate type of bribe (beer, chocolates, etc).

YES, she is wonderful.
No matter what the question. If she doesn't know the answer, she will find out and let you know. I know that to be a fact.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 PM

You two are CRAZY!

Chocolates will work. I have a weakness for food, especially if it involves carbs.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 AM

Chocolates: noted

Crazy is usually a good thing around me. My world is weird enough without having to explain it to sane people so they can acclimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville