Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM

99 posts, read 250,755 times

Advertisements

Umm, nope. Can't think of a single thing to do downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittj View Post
Umm, nope. Can't think of a single thing to do downtown.
Okay, we get it. Knoxville is not Salt Lake City. You live in South Knoxville and don't like it here.

Off the top of my head I can think of numerous things to do, even if it is just going down to the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Our art museum is tiny but is bringing more and more important exhibits like the current Ai Weiwei exhibition. The shops and restaurants are great. You can always take a riverboat, train or Volunteer Princess excursion. Or visit the East Tennessee History Center. Once again, small but very good.

But the OP is really asking about where to look regarding relocation not a list of attractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitlandRenee View Post
While you were in Maryville, did you check into Alcoa at all? On the edge of Maryville, it's a straight shot to Knoxville. Just curious!

Also, I might suggest Karns. I've never really taken the time to go through it thoroughly, but it does remind me of Maryville!
I'm not seeing the Karns comparison to Maryville. At all. I like Karns. It has a rural feel but in close proximity to the city center but I'm not sure what you're getting at. I guess a few rural areas of Blount County would look the same but the location may not be as good. I guess it depends on what they ultimately want and feel.

When I think of Alcoa I think of the airport, the aluminum plant and the traffic. That's only my opinion, though. What I don't like is clearly a paradise to someone else.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM

38 posts, read 49,415 times
Default thx

Quote:
While you were in Maryville, did you check into Alcoa at all? On the edge of Maryville, it's a straight shot to Knoxville. Just curious!

Also, I might suggest Karns. I've never really taken the time to go through it thoroughly, but it does remind me of Maryville!
I did check it out. We actually stayed at the Hilton at the airport in Alcoa and drove around quite a bit of the areas locally. Thank you for the other area name, I'll add it to my list for September

Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

But the OP is really asking about where to look regarding relocation not a list of attractions.
this exactly - we'll do things while we're around, but it's more to get a feel of what area might be best to relocate to for us

I think I parked behind the art museum and went in to ask how to get to the SunSphere - ha, it was right on the other side - I saw it, but didn't know if you needed a ticket or something, or where to go - looks like a nice place to visit (museum)

I have the Knoxville tourism books and pamphlets, I just didn't know if certain areas had different feels

Thanks again

Last edited by SimplyDeb; 07-13-2011 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: added a sentence

Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 PM

84 posts, read 177,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

When I think of Alcoa I think of the airport, the aluminum plant and the traffic. That's only my opinion, though. What I don't like is clearly a paradise to someone else.
You mean the teeny tiny airport that closes at night and you wouldn't know if it existed unless a plane crash landed on your house? That airport?

As far as traffic is concerned, the only traffic in Alcoa is at the Wal-Mart stoplight at rush hour and Alcoa Hwy if there has been a wreck. No traffic exists in Maryville and Alcoa unless it's rush hour or there's been a wreck--similar to any other city in Knox. Except Turkey Creek on a nightly basis.

Alcoa isn't a city, it's a community. That's the best way I can describe it. Maryville is more of a city feel, but all that aside, I think that anyone who takes an interest in Maryville would like Alcoa similarly, especially if they want a tight knit town.

I've never quite explored Karns, but I bought my car out there, and when I thought it very much resembled an early Maryville before we started getting all of the new shopping centers and what not.

Also, I would just like to take a moment to brag on Alcoa's football team because it pleases me so... Top area teams take steps to avoid football powerhouse Alcoa » Knoxville News Sentinel

Let us know what you think of Karns when you come to visit in September!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,791,671 times
Quote:

CaitlandRenee you are right about at least seeing Alcoa, too. Until I had a chance to visit a new friend I had no idea how many pretty homes and quiet places there are in Alcoa. It had not been on my list when we looked for homes so I had never spent time in some of the nice neighborhoods, just the shopping areas. The same goes for sections of Lousiville. Once you get away from the airport on either side it can be amazingly suburban verging on rural looking fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyDeb View Post
I think "safe" is priority over new, old, etc...clean/neat - pride of ownership whether older homes or new. A nice, quiet family type of place. Schools are a non-issue for us. Just a nice community where you're not checking over your shoulder when you go for a walk after dinner.

We'll be semi-retired, but no mortgage to worry about. We'll be fine for a year or two while my husband finds work to keep him busy, and I'm self-employed and work from home with an internet connection. Suburbs is where I'm most comfortable.

Hobbies - I run (slowly!!), we like to go for walks, I'd like to try to see if i can coax my black thumb into a semi-green thumb; maybe a tiny garden. I read a lot, we go for long drives, catch a movie, go out to eat (not foodies, just whatever is around)...nothing major. We do what's around, and I'll travel to races and such, etc.

Haa, yeah, that was some timing. An entire bridge of motorcycles blocking my way! Neat to see, but not for someone like me. I went in all bold and ready, and then was like, I'll just go back to where I could find my way around. I did know my husband would be down with my in September, so knew I'd see it all again. It was myself and my son previously. I'll get used to it when I know it and build my confidence.

The thing is, I'm very happy with suburbia - and Maryville could suit that, my husband has always loved the city vibe - the energy, etc. I think being "close to it" would be enough. He adores the NYC area and knows I have major city anxiety (loathe cities) - i've been a victim of a crime (not in a city) in the past and hence a deep need to "feel safe" and I guess in my brain smaller communities feel safer to me - i think that's where the city anxiety comes from - people everywhere, old episodes of NYPD Blue= criminals/cities, etc - just became a deep reaction over time...so I said maybe a smaller city could work.

For him though (he's a wonderful person), I want to give closer to the city a fair shot...look at it, see it, and be honest if I think I could move "onto the edges of a city".....(Maryville is on the edge of a city for me...for him, he'd be like RIGHT there)....I think when he sees how close it is (easily in 30 mins), he'll see it's probably more comfortable for us. He's used to up here...I'm not sure what he envisions - it's an hour to the city, and you either get a hired car or take the train, or drive to the Jersey side and take the PathTrain over...driving in NYC is horrible.

Where I live now, most of our stuff is 20mins away (Target, movies, etc), so a drive is nothing. (Groceries are only about 10 mins) I often drive an hour for other things. Driving is a non-issue - that's suburbia, you grow up that way, you're used to it. My family is an hour away, so at least every week or two, i'm driving an hour each way.

I think he likes the IDEA of the city, something walkable...and yet he craves privacy, a yard. I see us in the suburbs.

I'd like to at least go to each part of the city so we can feel it. Learn it - and as you said, Knoxville isn't like other cities, you can be close and yet still feel "not in the mix" of the city.

Thank you again for your time.
I can see why you feel the fit with Maryville, it is a lot like what I remember of your area (I drove through often on my way from NY to PA) and thought it was such a nice part of NJ. The next time make sure you check out some of the other parts of Blount County just outside the city for the mix of rural/suburban that are even more like it. Send me a DM for some places to drive when your DH comes back with you.

Your lifestyle sounds like pretty much what we are living. The soil is good for a green thumb. Well except for the car races...

Don't let yourself be talked out of Maryville if you feel it fits. There is a healthy mix of new and old in the town as well as the areas immediately outside of town. I have yet to see one instance of Hiknapsters claim of coldness to "outsiders" nor the resentment. Of course that kind of assumption happens when you don't actually know the town and hold something someone said on a forum as absolute fact, like the person claiming Knox has nothing going on. On the other hand I live here and do volunteer work and have found nothing but graciousness and kindness. If you just want polite conversation you'll find no one pushes you for anything more. Some of my friends have families going back quite a few generations and with just a little nudge have taught me so much about the local history. You will find friends if you want them and otherwise you will find lots of nice acquaintances.

Safety has never been a question for us. We've never felt uneasy or worried around town or at home. If we really need a "city" fix Knoxville and all the shopping is MUCH easier than getting to NYC....about a half hour of easy driving.

I have no clue what the real estate market is now but assume it still has a mix of new, older and really old it did when we looked and probably similar price ranges since the area hasn't felt the big swings the NY metro area has gone through. Your big decision might be just how close or far away from amenities you want to move and if you work from home and need internet where the cable and DSL runs. Much of the area has one or both but there are still some gaps in the more rural sections. A friend found that out the hard way when he moved back here after following jobs out of state. He's waited a little more than 2 years and cable is finally being laid in his neighborhood, but then he went really rural.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
I personally know two people from Maryville and knew them long before I moved here. One is a good friend of my MILs and she was quite concerned about our moving here because of some of the things he told her. He swears that the locals resent the transplants as does my other friend. Every time she visits him he warns her about this.

Your mileage may vary.

My guess is walking around the area or even living there you may not come across anything like that resentment. Or you might. I'm sure that there must be people in Knoxville that resent the transplants, too. But I've come across three people that have PERSONALLY told me about issues in Blount County.

Karns is a VERY nice area, I just don't see the comparison to Maryville but that's not important.

I do want to clarify that McGhee Tyson is not LaGuardia or JFK. It is a small airport. I don't know if I'd call it tiny. I guess it depends on your perspective, though.

McGhee Tyson Airport has 7 major airlines serving 21 non-stop destinations including Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Orlando, New York, Chicago, Denver and Washington D.C. There are more than 120 arrivals and departures each day.

Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM

745 posts, read 1,720,409 times
Quote:
You mean the teeny tiny airport that closes at night and you wouldn't know if it existed unless a plane crash landed on your house? That airport?

Alcoa isn't a city, it's a community.
I wouldn't describe the airport as "teeny, tiny." It is simply a smaller airport. As for closing at night, you will find that many very large airports around the world have very few flights taking off and leaving at night, in comparison to their size. Istanbul and Tel Aviv come to mind, of those in which I have flown into. So, that isn't unique or peculiar to Knoxville. And, Alcoa is indeed a chartered city, a small city, which probably feels like a community instead of a city, which I think is what you are suggesting.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Really nice information and helpful. I'm taking it all in and will adjust as it feels right for us. Thankfully, being in my 40s - I know how to absorb and weed through information. I'm a solid person and know what I like, so that's helpful.

I'm excited to go back with my husband - I'll see how he feels about it all and we'll go from there. We've got a year here while we get our house ready - and my son finishes high school - so I'm not rushed. After his graduation, we'll turn towards the nitty gritty and checking out real estate closely. We'll likely rent a year first if we find a place that happily allows dogs. I did see there are options (home rentals and apts).

Again, thank you so much. I appreciate that you're available to answer questions, take your time for people you don't know...and yet offer so much. It does truly help narrow down town names, areas, and such.

I'm pretty sure if we do choose TN it will be in the surrounding areas of Maryville more than closer to the city. It felt so much like home and that was nice. I think it would a comfortable transition.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM

Your airport in Alcoa (stayed at the hotel attached to it) there is like our Allentown, PA one. Smaller than Philly, but big enough. I don't do NYC or Newark - I avoid those like the plague. I generally drive the 90 mins to the Philly airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville