Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times

Advertisements

At our new place in Rockwood, we get no cell signal.

Cable and DSL aren't available either.

We (were) hoping to eliminate the expense of paid TV...and just stick with netflix, hulu, etc. using the new HD TV we just bought.

But that requires a solid, fairly fast internet connection.

Hughesnet and Wildblue appear to be the satellite internet companies available for us, and their download/upload speeds seem slow; I'm not sure they can handle streaming video.

1. Have any of you folks used satellite internet successfully for high-speed net applications?

2. Do you have any ideas on alternative ways to get good internet?

I was even thinking that, if we were able to get our cell signal to the point where it's good and solid, we could use one of those wifi routers off the cell phone's data signal.

That would obviously require a repeater/booster of some sort. Anyone have good results with one of those?

We're really spoiled; we've got Verizon Fios here and our 'net is like lightning...one of about 2 things I'll miss when we move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
I've heard horror stories about Huges...check Dish networks....little pricey, no idea how good they are.

My cell service is spotty here, but since I have DSL, I have an adapter to give me a mini cell tower....

Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Bleh. Both DirecTV and Dish Network carry internet through Wild Blue.

So we don't have much for options...

Old 09-10-2011, 03:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Who is your wireless provider? I had Sprint and even though my cell reception was just okay I had a 3G card for my laptop and the signal was excellent. I think I paid about $50 a month. If you have good cell reception you can tether but it has to be a good signal.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Yep. No cell signal - if we stand by the black walnut facing northwest and hold the phone at a 35 degree angle we get one bar. We have verizon right now but even AT&T says we're out of their range...although they said we could buy the little mini-tower thingie for $200 but we have to switch first to their service.

We're hosed, methinks!

thanks for the suggestions though -

Hughesnet and Wild Blue look to be our only options.

Even comcast says "no way" unless we're willing to foot the $5,000 bill to run the lines our way.

Oh well! Not like we'll be sitting around with a lot of time on our hands

Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Yep. No cell signal - if we stand by the black walnut facing northwest and hold the phone at a 35 degree angle we get one bar. We have verizon right now but even AT&T says we're out of their range...although they said we could buy the little mini-tower thingie for $200 but we have to switch first to their service.

We're hosed, methinks!

thanks for the suggestions though -

Hughesnet and Wild Blue look to be our only options.

Even comcast says "no way" unless we're willing to foot the $5,000 bill to run the lines our way.

Oh well! Not like we'll be sitting around with a lot of time on our hands
I have the mini tower from Sprint....You need DSL or cable to use it ....

Keep on your phone company to extend the DSL service....that's what I had to do....

I know some places have a microwave set up directed at several houses....don't know if that's avaliable....

Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM

We could just bring our microwave from here when we move! Does it matter if it's a countertop or over-the-stove model?

lol I'll tell hubby about that; it's beyond my technology paygrade

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM

Since we're so laid back down here....stick with "dial-up"....

Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM

66 posts, read 152,956 times
Existing satellite technology will never provide you with a fast enough link to stream video, especially HD video.

You might start a cooperative with your neighbors and use your combined negotiating/buying power to get a link of some kind run out there (and share the expense if there is any for the initial run). That's how many small communities and neighborhoods end up getting decent internet these days.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
Existing satellite technology will never provide you with a fast enough link to stream video, especially HD video.

You might start a cooperative with your neighbors and use your combined negotiating/buying power to get a link of some kind run out there (and share the expense if there is any for the initial run). That's how many small communities and neighborhoods end up getting decent internet these days.
Yep, we were just looking at that yesterday; and even if it is, their per-day threshold allows maybe a movie a day before switching us to the slower tier.

Waiting to hear back from Comcast; they're sending out a survey team to get an accurate cost to bring it to us. (The $5000 was a guesstimate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville