Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times

Advertisements

I know that I threw this question out there before, but I think it was buried in one of those threads where everything gets discussed.

Is anyone aware of a group or individual who plays either mountain dulcimer or hammered dulcimer? I have both that my father made (quite a craftsman himself, but couldn't play a note!). I have tinkered with them for a number of years and would love to really learn how to play.

I'm sure that there must be someone in the area, but my google search turned up shops and groups in CA!, Indiana, and NC. TN is the home of Bluegrass and great mountain music, right?

Gotta know where to find someone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Knoxville Dulcimer Club is here:
Knoxville Area Dulcimer Club (KADC)
They seem to be very active. I think I know someone who is or was in it, or she may play a Lute. Can't remember.
Here's an instructor
Wood, Wind, and Wire: Mountain Music - acoustic music duo featuring hammered dulcimer and bowed psaltery
And Pellissippi State, the local community college, offers several courses:
Business and Community Services (broken link)
Mountain Dulcimer Week is held in Western Carolina every year, they offer instruction
Mountain Dulcimer Week (broken link)
That should get you started.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:48 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Oooh, another dulcimer player?? I love my mountain dulcimer, which I bought at a music store (can't for the life of me remember its name, it's 3 am!) in Jonesborough.

I never dabbled in the dulcimer club when I lived in Knoxville (didn't even know it existed!), but another source for classes is Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton. Quite a drive for you, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it could help someone.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:07 AM

9 posts, read 34,563 times
Hello,

Try Song of the Wood in Black Mountain, NC (a retail shop but surely they know of teachers) or
Steven Seifert in Nashville, TN MySpace.com - Stephen Seifert - Nashville, Tennessee - Acoustic / Folk / Other - www.myspace.com/stephenseifert

Please PM me if you need more info. My husband knows many dulcimer teachers.

Cheers,

Taryn

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Knoxville Dulcimer Club is here:
Knoxville Area Dulcimer Club (KADC)
They seem to be very active. I think I know someone who is or was in it, or she may play a Lute. Can't remember.
Here's an instructor
Wood, Wind, and Wire: Mountain Music - acoustic music duo featuring hammered dulcimer and bowed psaltery
And Pellissippi State, the local community college, offers several courses:
Business and Community Services (broken link)
Mountain Dulcimer Week is held in Western Carolina every year, they offer instruction
Mountain Dulcimer Week (broken link)
That should get you started.
Thanks, knoxgarden. Boy, that does give me a lot of places to check out. I am thrilled that Pellissippi State offers classes. I had checked the U-T personal improvement class offerings, but there was nothing offered. Didn't even think about Pillissippi State.

Thanks again. Gives me a lot to look forward to when we get relocated!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Oooh, another dulcimer player?? I love my mountain dulcimer, which I bought at a music store (can't for the life of me remember its name, it's 3 am!) in Jonesborough.

I never dabbled in the dulcimer club when I lived in Knoxville (didn't even know it existed!), but another source for classes is Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton. Quite a drive for you, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it could help someone.
Just how I feel! Another dulcimer player - yahoo! I did teach myself using sheet music and a starter's book years ago to play the hammered dulcimer a little. But, my dad just gave me the mountain dulcimer this past spring and I haven't even tried yet.

And, no, for classes I don't think that Elizabethtown would be too far if we find a place in Maryville. I am really excited!

Thanks so much for the info.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrickmgtdotcom View Post
Hello,

Try Song of the Wood in Black Mountain, NC (a retail shop but surely they know of teachers) or
Steven Seifert in Nashville, TN MySpace.com - Stephen Seifert - Nashville, Tennessee - Acoustic / Folk / Other - www.myspace.com/stephenseifert

Please PM me if you need more info. My husband knows many dulcimer teachers.

Cheers,

Taryn
Thanks, Taryn. I am amazed that I had so many responses to this thread. I thought it was going to be a shot in the dark. I guess there a lot of us who love mountain music and lovely music that dulcimers sing.

I have been to Black Mt and visited the Song of the Wood a couple of times. In fact, I have gotten a couple of requests played while I have been there. What a thrill being played by a real aritisan. I think of NC as being so far away from Knoxville, but you are probably as close as we are here in north GA (about 3 hrs.).

I will definitely check out both websites this AM. My dulcimer bookmarked list is growing like kudzu thanks to all of you!

And, thanks Taryn, for the offer to contact you with a PM for dulcimer instructors. Thank your husband in advance for me for any names he can give me. That would be great!

We're going to the GA Mountain Fair in Hiawassee in a couple of weeks and I hope that they are featuring some groups with dulcimer music again.

Thanks to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville