Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM

38 posts, read 49,435 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I made it through the Knoxville area during early July for a couple of days, and spent some time looking around Maryville, a surrounding town or two (Wildwood, Seymour, Friendsville), and headed to the city. I went as far as the Sun Sphere and took pics of the city from inside of it.

It happened to be the day of the Honda Gold Wing? Red Wing? motorcycle convention...and I'm not big on city driving, and with a road closed, I sort of shut down on exploring more (wish I hadn't). I wasn't sure which way to go, was afraid of getting lost, etc...

....anyway, I'm coming down for a little bit in mid to late September with my husband (much better city driver - and he's comfortable in cities - i'm comfortable with him by my side!) - and I'd like to see a little bit of different parts of the city. Can you recommend some places to see? What might be a good representation of say South Knox, North Knox, Central, East, West, etc.

I really like the Maryville area, because it's very similar to where I live now. It's a smaller version of Hunterdon, NJ. It felt comfortable to me. I think it's important though to be open to seeing more. I talked to a lot of people while I was there (natives and transplants), and I think this could be a great fit for us.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated about the city. As we narrow down things more and more, I'll make extra trips, and we'll probably rent for a year first to make sure this is the right place for us. (We still have FL on the map, but I told him after being in TN, my gut is telling me that will be home)

Thanks, Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM

394 posts, read 795,560 times
As far as downtown goes, just park your car and walk. Down town is very walkable.

On the north side, check out Fountain City. Search in this forum and you'll find lot's of info.

The West side of town ranges all over the place. Bearden, Sequoya Hills for older mostly upscale; Cedar Bluff for 60's bedroom communities to the newer upscale of Farragut . West Side also has the Turkey Creek shopping area.

It really takes time to find the area that best suite you. The people will be pretty much the same where ever you go.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 37,795 times
I'm not sure when in September you'll be visiting but make sure to plan around/avoid Tennessee football home games. Traffic can be a real nightmare pre and post game.

Good luck during your visit!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,609,144 times
For the South side I recommend Ijams Nature center. On your way there a brief side trip to Island Home neighborhood is in order. (turn beside the large brick church.)

Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the information on areas, and also about the football game - I'll be checking the schedule! I mentioned that to my husband. I've gotten caught in Penn State football traffic years ago and will never forget it - it was my first impression of college football! Was visiting a 1 traffic light town, and there were RVs/cars as far as the eye could see coming in for the weekend!

I'm be watching for suggestions and thoughts and will check back.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
I can't remember your preferences...

Did you like new? Mid-century? Pre-war?

Gated? Non? Transplants? Natives?

I think you said you are going to be retirees so what are your hobbies?

That will help a lot.

Showing up during a large convention is not the best situation.

I understand, though. I was not a city driver. When I first moved to Knoxville I drove into the city and it spit me right back out onto the highway. Second time? Same thing.

Now I drive the streets like I'm an old pro. The truth is this isn't NYC and I am not a hot-shot city dweller. But I pretend I am. Downtown is tiny but very pretty.

Our traffic, even during games, is not that brutal. I've certainly seen worse. We have shuttles so maybe that helps. And a lot of people not going to the game know to just stay the heck away.

Get back to us with your wish list and we can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM

I think "safe" is priority over new, old, etc...clean/neat - pride of ownership whether older homes or new. A nice, quiet family type of place. Schools are a non-issue for us. Just a nice community where you're not checking over your shoulder when you go for a walk after dinner.

We'll be semi-retired, but no mortgage to worry about. We'll be fine for a year or two while my husband finds work to keep him busy, and I'm self-employed and work from home with an internet connection. Suburbs is where I'm most comfortable.

Hobbies - I run (slowly!!), we like to go for walks, I'd like to try to see if i can coax my black thumb into a semi-green thumb; maybe a tiny garden. I read a lot, we go for long drives, catch a movie, go out to eat (not foodies, just whatever is around)...nothing major. We do what's around, and I'll travel to races and such, etc.

Haa, yeah, that was some timing. An entire bridge of motorcycles blocking my way! Neat to see, but not for someone like me. I went in all bold and ready, and then was like, I'll just go back to where I could find my way around. I did know my husband would be down with my in September, so knew I'd see it all again. It was myself and my son previously. I'll get used to it when I know it and build my confidence.

The thing is, I'm very happy with suburbia - and Maryville could suit that, my husband has always loved the city vibe - the energy, etc. I think being "close to it" would be enough. He adores the NYC area and knows I have major city anxiety (loathe cities) - i've been a victim of a crime (not in a city) in the past and hence a deep need to "feel safe" and I guess in my brain smaller communities feel safer to me - i think that's where the city anxiety comes from - people everywhere, old episodes of NYPD Blue= criminals/cities, etc - just became a deep reaction over time...so I said maybe a smaller city could work.

For him though (he's a wonderful person), I want to give closer to the city a fair shot...look at it, see it, and be honest if I think I could move "onto the edges of a city".....(Maryville is on the edge of a city for me...for him, he'd be like RIGHT there)....I think when he sees how close it is (easily in 30 mins), he'll see it's probably more comfortable for us. He's used to up here...I'm not sure what he envisions - it's an hour to the city, and you either get a hired car or take the train, or drive to the Jersey side and take the PathTrain over...driving in NYC is horrible.

Where I live now, most of our stuff is 20mins away (Target, movies, etc), so a drive is nothing. (Groceries are only about 10 mins) I often drive an hour for other things. Driving is a non-issue - that's suburbia, you grow up that way, you're used to it. My family is an hour away, so at least every week or two, i'm driving an hour each way.

I think he likes the IDEA of the city, something walkable...and yet he craves privacy, a yard. I see us in the suburbs.

I'd like to at least go to each part of the city so we can feel it. Learn it - and as you said, Knoxville isn't like other cities, you can be close and yet still feel "not in the mix" of the city.

Thank you again for your time.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
I was a victim of a crime and had extreme safety issues. I grew up in a rural/suburbia situation, too, so even though I liked the vibe of a city unless I knew where I was going or with a safe group I would get extreme anxiety. I use to have panic attacks just thinking about turning down the wrong roads. I've come close to fainting a few times.

That finally all changed when we moved here, and I am almost 50 so I was that way most of my life.

It sounds like Maryville, West Knoxville and Farragut are worth checking out. Perhaps Seymour, too, since it is so close to Knoxville -- but not at all --if you can find a very nice subdivision. Check it out on a map and you'll see what I mean. It's kind of in the center of Knoxville, Maryville, the mountains, but not too far from major highways.

Maryville prices are a bit high and traffic can be a bit crazy there at times. It's a bit of a transplant haven and there can be some local resentment. I wouldn't imagine it to be a constant thing, though.

Whatever suits you is the way to go.

The only thing I would be a bit worried about is your husband having NYC expectations for Knoxville. It's tiny. I love it, but I'm the scaredy cat. And you probably will, too. But he might hate it. Knoxville will be a street corner in comparison to NYC, and I am not talking Times Square. Market Square would probably be laughable to him.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM

I'm glad you understand and can relate to what I meant. That helps me know there's hope! I'm mid 40's, and it's gone on for about 20 years. I did see Seymour and liked a stretch on 411 from Maryville, through Wildwood, and to Seymour. I think once he sees it, he'll probably be drawn to it as well. It's like home here.

He doesn't have NYC expectations He just hopes I'll come to enjoy a small city over time. He's a suburb guy and actually grew up more rural/suburb. Cities are nice to visit for a day --- he's just the kind of guy who would get up, walk to a coffee shop for a cup of coffee and get a paper. Think he likes the idea of not having to drive there. When we go to the shore, he likes that aspect of waking up and walking somewhere for breakfast.

Thx for the transplant info. That part doesn't concern me as I'm more of an introvert and not looking for a big circle to hang with. Polite, good natured folks when I'm out and about are nice, but I'm not a "group" person and can adjust to the terms mentioned above. I do appreciate the info though.

A street corner sounds perfect - we're looking for balance/compromise - and I think there's "just enough". I just hope he enjoys seeing the area as much as I did in early July. I can't wait to go back and see more.

I did take pics of the city, out of every window of the SunSphere, and he was actually surprised it's bigger than he thought and an actual city. He just doesn't really travel - where I do often and have seen a lot of the country. I think he's going to be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again for so much great information. It's truly appreciated. I've started a list of the information so I can take it with me in September.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM

84 posts, read 177,318 times
While you were in Maryville, did you check into Alcoa at all? On the edge of Maryville, it's a straight shot to Knoxville. Just curious!

Also, I might suggest Karns. I've never really taken the time to go through it thoroughly, but it does remind me of Maryville!

Last edited by CaitlandRenee; 07-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville