Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times

Advertisements

I was in Morristown not long ago and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. I have been pretty critical of it in the past. It has been hit hard like lots of places and has had a lot of factories close but some other new jobs have come in. The hospital has been bought out by the Covenant Health System out of Knoxville so that is a positive in helping them purchase supplies at lower costs and keep standards up. If I am not mistaken the neighboring Greene County has a higher unemployment rate. I don't know that I would seek Morristown out to live there but I think that there are worst places. Plus, it is located in a great part of TN where lakes and mountains and bigger towns are not far away. If you move here and don't like it you will be free to leave so it's worth a chance!

Also: Scott's Strawberries had a stand there in the mall parking lot for the first time ever. Sold out like crazy. Those are the best strawberries! It makes some delicious freezer jam!
About Us » Scott Farms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM

41 posts, read 126,803 times
How about the churches? Any good ones....preferably baptist as that is what I was raised.
PS Morristown sounds a lot like the town I grew up in

Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneA View Post
How about the churches? Any good ones....preferably baptist as that is what I was raised.
Merritt Island: Median household income = $43,532
Morristown: Median income for a household = $27,005

Merritt Island below the poverty line:

Families = 7.2%
Population = 9.4%

Morristown: About 14.6% of families and 19.2% of the population were below the poverty line.

Not a huge difference but somewhat.

There are some other big differences, though.

Morristown, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Merritt Island, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who knows. You are young. Morristown might be your slice of paradise. If you have a job, you've won half the battle. The economy has really picked up this past month in Knoxville. Best of luck!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneA View Post
There are Baptist churches all over the place around here. You won't have any problems finding one.

I have friends in Morristown and go there quite a bit. The area around Morristown is gorgeous, but the city itself is not considered one of the most attractive in the area.

One thing you might want to realize is the city really is becoming an Hispanic enclave for the area. I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing, but it's certainly unique to East Tennessee.

Here are some stats. According to the US Census, between 2000-2010 Hamblen County (Morristown) had a net domestic in-migration of 130 people, that is, in 10 years only 130 more people moved into Hamblen County from the rest of the country than moved out. By contrast, in the same period Hamblen County had a net international in-migration of 3,095 people, and 99% of those were Hispanic. In other words, for every person who moved to Morristown from another part of the US, there were 24 who moved there from south of the border. (And, although there's no way to quantify this, it's assumed that of those who moved to Morristown from the rest of the US, a big chunk were also Hispanic.)

Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly changes the dynamics of the city and is in stark contrast to the rest of East Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-22-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM

51 posts, read 101,543 times
Best thing about Morristown is Pal's. Visit Pal's

Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Scott's has the very best berries. Sweet, plump, juicy and vibrant red straight to the core. Not a great keeper, so plan on preserving them promptly. They taste so good, I recommend a box for the road
They used to set up in the farmer's market (don't know about now, since the new awnings and rules were erected) and were always several lines deep. They always sold out and had to have refill trucks make a run from the farm.

The post about the churches reminded me (I'm a foodie, can you tell?) All Saints has an AWESOME bbq fundraiser. Once or twice a year, folks line up around the block, buying sandwich plates and take home containers. It's located on Main Street in downtown Morristown.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 AM

What is Pal's? And What kind of berries?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Pals is a fast food restaurant. I don't like their food at all, but then I can't think of any fast food place I *enjoy*.
Here's a link:
Pal's Sudden Service

Scott's sells strawberries.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I think the demographics of Morristown will create great opportunities for a bi-lingual teacher. You might have a hard time deciding WHICH Baptist church to attend.

Sounds like a great fit.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 AM

I am not bilingual. Hiknapster were your statistics before or after the space center layer off a lot of people? I don't care either way but it would be interesting to see if those percentages were affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville